Main Menu

Squadron Website Templates

Started by Pylon, May 16, 2005, 02:37:11 PM

Pylon

After reading CAPBlog's recent rant about the poor state of CAP's many squadron websites, I tossed out an idea on a thread at CadetStuff after having praised Tedd Agnello for his superior web work.

Since we all know (or should) that there are vast unwashed masses of CAP squadron (and higher echelon) websites which look absolutely degrading for Civil Air Patrol worldwide, I figured we ought to do something about it.

My idea:  distribute free, simple-to-implement, downloadable templates.

Squadrons with very little computer saavy could pick from one of a few designs, download the files, add their personalization (unit name and info), and slap it on the web.  It wouldn't be perfect, and it doesn't beat having a professional web developer in your squadron, but it would hopefully put a dent in the black stain of CAP sites on the internet. 

Does anybody else see this as a useful idea?   I'm willing to throw together a template, or two, and hosting isn't a problem.   Would squadrons use the service, though, is the big question.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

arajca

I think it would be great idea. If squadrons had, say, three or four templates to choose from, it would be great. Even better - although I don't how this would be done - have a single online website builder that starts with "Choose your template" and builds the website from there. Kind of like many of the free web hosting services do. Make the process as painless as possible, and you'd probably see many of the un-professional looking web sites converted. If the process could be done without requiring Front Page or Dreamweaver, or any other fancy software, life would be good.

National keeps drumming "Use modern technology." Well, a CAP website builder could help this.

As CAPBlog said, many of the unit websites (and some wing websites) look like they were done by a sixth grader. Well, they probably were and no one kept up with it.

Pace

Quote from: Pylon on May 16, 2005, 02:37:11 PM
Would squadrons use the service, though, is the big question.

The other thing to consider is that a lot of squadrons have adopted the use of yahoo groups, which only their members can access.  Maintenance is very simple and everything is already packaged for easy use/modification.  My only beef with those groups is lack of storage space for files and/or pictures.  By it not being a public accessible website, messages can be posted and archived without the risk of nosy people prying into stuff that's none of their business.  Maybe if you made the process as easy as it is to set up a yahoo group, squadrons might adopt the websites; however, those that currently like the privacy of those groups may prefer to keep them.  The other problem for many squadrons is hosting.  Solve that and ensure that the squadron commanders are informed of the availability and you may get positive results.

Who knows, but I guess it's worth a shot.
Lt Col, CAP

whatevah

at one point, NHQ had a webpage design pack of graphics.  most likely done around 1996. ::)

for those of you who remember the CAP site design before it moved from cap.af.mil to capnhq.gov, that's basically what the graphics were like.

I've got a CMS that's a breeze to use and has a bunch of plugins for calendars, file downloads and such.  And, you can have multiple user access groups for page access, or for page editing.  I use it on my wing site, which honestly doesn't have that great of a design, but it's very flexible. You can even assign different templates based on the site structure, so a wing or group could host unit pages that have their own design.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Xeno

Quote from: whatevah on May 16, 2005, 06:27:47 PM
at one point, NHQ had a webpage design pack of graphics.  most likely done around 1996. ::)

for those of you who remember the CAP site design before it moved from cap.af.mil to capnhq.gov, that's basically what the graphics were like.

I may be mistaken but I believe many of these graphics can be downloaded from e-services... well, when e-services works that is.

From my experience, most squadron websites are hosted off places like geocities and angelfire. I use geocities for my squadron site because we don't want to pay for anything extra every month. I tell you, what would be great is if NHQ would alot some webspace to squadrons. Heck, 20 or so megs would be enough to please most people. Of course we would want FTP access and access to languages like CGI and PHP as well.
Anyway, the purpose of this post was to say  that I don't think most squadrons would be able to, let alone know how, to use third party templates on their websites.
C/1st Lt. Josh Sims
C/CC SWR-AR-095

121.5 -- If you crash, we will dash...

Pylon

I agree NHQ ought to be providing hosting.  Really, it's not as far-fetched; the technology for doing this exists.

Ideally, NHQ would have a basic info page for every unit.  It would contain meeting time and location info, contacts, and some other basic facts along with appropriate links to pages explaining CAP.

Then, units who have webpages could have an allocated amount of space, say: 30 megs, with support for PHP, a couple MySQL databases, and the usual hosting works.  URLs would be standardized, and all sites would conform to an expanded and improved version of the CAPR 110-1.

Template kits for squadrons without web pros in their ranks would be available so that units could easily expand upon their websites without massive HTML/web design skill.   Ready-to-install scripts for a photo gallery (Coppermine?  Gallery?)  would be a great bonus - just click "Install" answer a few questions in the easy install-wizard and voila - you're ready to upload photos into your site-integrated photo gallery.

This type of service is already offered by software such as cPanel, which many hosting providers use to sell "reseller packages."  Basically, I can go to a web host, buy a bunch of gigs of space, and the cPanel software allows me to divvy up that space to "clients" (units), control how much space and add-ons they get, allow them full read-write accecss to their space alone but not others' space, and give them administration and stat tools.

All of this would be enhanced by the addition of the CAP IT specialty track (already in the works), to help facilitate the units to move beyond their initial static info page at each echelon.

This plan goes above and beyond what many units have now, would give CAP a much more professional image on the WWW, and allow for proper standardization, oversight, and control of unit websites by higher headquarters.

whatevah

the Great Lakes Region has a webserver, and gives (I think) 20 megs of space, but nothing else.  just straight up webspace.  I don't think you can even get PHP by paying them (they want $$ if you want extra space or email lists).

I run my wing site off of a server I own.  I'm hosting a couple other pages under its account. it's around $12/mo, but for amount of stuff being hosted, and my tech support, it's really quite cheap.

btw, captalk is hosted on the same server. :D

well, I've been playing around with an idea for 2 years about doing a hosting thing for units. I'd offer free hosting (with a link to me or something) with about 25 MB of space, an email list, and a web-based page editor, and give you a choice of a couple templates. I'd install the one you want and give you a password to access it.  If you want more space, more emails and such... you'd have to pay for it.  *hmm*
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Yoda

I'm a fan of www.jotspot.com for private squadron business.  Very flexible and easy to use.

arajca

What kind of costs has anyone found for secure servers. Something that can be used to electronically disseminate information covered by FOUO and other similar restriction?

Would it be reasonable for National or Regions to provide this type of server for wings to use? Given that many things like IAPP's and pubs need to be made available to the members, but not to the general public.

whatevah

you can get a private server (in a datacenter) for as low as $60/mo (linux, not windows, add another 30 or so for a windows server)...  but you need an experienced tech to be an admin for it.

OTOH, if you have access to a nice fat pipe (internet connection), you could host it locally. most (all?) wings could get away with a T-1 line for the server, if it's not shared with anything. of course, it'd either need to be locked in a closet (with a UPS, of course) or in a locked server cabinet to keep certain cadets and seniors from downloading mp3s with it.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Major_Chuck

Virginia Wing offers all of its units webspace on our server at no cost.  The only thing we won't do is maintain their site for them.

-CC

Quote from: Pylon on May 25, 2005, 04:17:58 AM
I agree NHQ ought to be providing hosting.  Really, it's not as far-fetched; the technology for doing this exists.

Ideally, NHQ would have a basic info page for every unit.  It would contain meeting time and location info, contacts, and some other basic facts along with appropriate links to pages explaining CAP.

Then, units who have webpages could have an allocated amount of space, say: 30 megs, with support for PHP, a couple MySQL databases, and the usual hosting works.  URLs would be standardized, and all sites would conform to an expanded and improved version of the CAPR 110-1.

Template kits for squadrons without web pros in their ranks would be available so that units could easily expand upon their websites without massive HTML/web design skill.   Ready-to-install scripts for a photo gallery (Coppermine?  Gallery?)  would be a great bonus - just click "Install" answer a few questions in the easy install-wizard and voila - you're ready to upload photos into your site-integrated photo gallery.

This type of service is already offered by software such as cPanel, which many hosting providers use to sell "reseller packages."  Basically, I can go to a web host, buy a bunch of gigs of space, and the cPanel software allows me to divvy up that space to "clients" (units), control how much space and add-ons they get, allow them full read-write accecss to their space alone but not others' space, and give them administration and stat tools.

All of this would be enhanced by the addition of the CAP IT specialty track (already in the works), to help facilitate the units to move beyond their initial static info page at each echelon.

This plan goes above and beyond what many units have now, would give CAP a much more professional image on the WWW, and allow for proper standardization, oversight, and control of unit websites by higher headquarters.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

MurDog

Not sure where the cadet picked up the template, but it was just that a template. I took an HTML class on community college and so I taught him some basic HTML and then we trashed the template, did some self study in Adobe photo shop to produce our final product. Check it out at http://www.bcsvtcap.org we have our forum, feel free to join up and make some posts. The website has been on line for only a few weeks now.
Anyway, my point that i was trying to get to is server space. We use a company call Jaguar PC and the cost is $10/month and you get so much for so little! Unlimited sub domain, unlimited forwarders, unlimited POP email accounts, 50 FTP and the list just goes on and on. It offers many things you can add to your site, like forums and chat rooms. As far as domain reg, the company that they bundle with charges $20/ 2years (minmum purchase) for any .com, .net or .org.  We have some CAP links we provide for help information, infact thats how i found CAP talk, but any feedback or other links you guys could off would be appreciated. Thanks!
AJ Murray Jr., 1st Lt CAP
Emergency Services Officer
NER-VT-005

Deputy Commander
2005 VTWG Encampment

Pylon

Quote from: MurDog on June 14, 2005, 02:41:31 AM
Not sure where the cadet picked up the template, but it was just that a template. I took an HTML class on community college and so I taught him some basic HTML and then we trashed the template, did some self study in Adobe photo shop to produce our final product. Check it out at http://www.bcsvtcap.org we have our forum, feel free to join up and make some posts. The website has been on line for only a few weeks now.
Anyway, my point that i was trying to get to is server space. We use a company call Jaguar PC and the cost is $10/month and you get so much for so little! Unlimited sub domain, unlimited forwarders, unlimited POP email accounts, 50 FTP and the list just goes on and on. It offers many things you can add to your site, like forums and chat rooms. As far as domain reg, the company that they bundle with charges $20/ 2years (minmum purchase) for any .com, .net or .org.  We have some CAP links we provide for help information, infact thats how i found CAP talk, but any feedback or other links you guys could off would be appreciated. Thanks!

Not too shabby.  :)  (Just gotta add the CAPR 110-1 disclaimer on your website to bring it into compliance with the regs)

As for the cost, you're getting ripped off.  ;)   I can get all of the above mentioned services you talk about, such as unlimited email accounts (POP, IMAP, webmail, or forwarding), FTP accounts, subdomains, MySQL databases, all those add-ons like forums, chat, galleries, guestbooks, e-commerce, etc.  along with sufficient bandwidth and storage space for under $1/month or just barely $12/year.   And I can register the major domains (.com, .org, etc) for $3/year.    If you ever want to switch to save your squadron the costs, PM me a message and I'll give you the companies that I've used for all my websites and those of many of my clients, too.  No use in spending more than you have to!

Capt Rivera

-=BUMP=-

Lets revisit this. Any Current thoughts?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Stonewall

I've got a thought...

I think a template for non-computer-savvy people like myself is a grand idea.

I've got experience with this very situation to boot.

Showed up at new squadron and saw the website run by a cadet and his father.  Terrible site.  Even the address was less than desirable.  Something similar to this (not a real address): www.jones-family.webmaster/cap383.  Not even something simple to put on a CAP flyer or tell someone in passing, "hey yeah, CAP is great, check out our website for everything you need to know, its um, www.jones -something, uh um ahhhh, yeah, I forgot it".

So, I used a freeservers build your own website template and paid for a domain name.  It is easy as pie.  I am a loser no load can't even post a picture kind of guy and I created a website.  To the web masters out there, it may seem wanna-be-esque and pathetic, but it accomplishes several goals.  1) Its got a simple address, www.jacksonvillesquadron.org, 2) it has a main page with contact info, meeting times and directions, 3) a page for CP, ES, AE and Senior Members, 4) its got 2 picture pages to show a real deal no BS sample of what we do; not models or perfect pictures, but actual photos, and 5) a links page for a few resources.

Yes, to create a CAP specific web template, that would rock.  All I do is fill in blanks and upload pictures. 

[EDIT] to add that I know the site isn't close to perfect, but it is 10x better than what we had 3 weeks ago.  I'm always working on it but like everything else in CAP, it isn't my paid job and family comes first.
Serving since 1987.

Al Sayre

I got the free wysiwyg website from Googlepages and set up a website for my Squadron in about 4 hours.  Piece of Cake!  Everything is pretty intuitive, just pick the format you like and start typing.  Yes the choices are somewhat limited, but that also eliminates the confusion factor, and you don't need to learn html to use it. 

Check mine out here: http://serms100.googlpages.com
(Comments and suggestions are welcome)

I didn't put up a bunch of photos although I could have, simply because most of my Squadron is on dial-up and if it's slow to load, they won't use it.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

jimmydeanno

I have seen numerous ways that CAP webpages are created, anywhere from an example like this...

http://www.nhwgcap.org/seacoast/index.htm

which obviously required some working knowledge of how to 'program,'

to ones like this...

http://www.vawg.cap.gov/langley/index.htm

where I happen to know that it was created in MS Publisher, and the "publish to the web" feature was used. 

The template idea is a good one.  Many peoples websites have good content but fail in the 'ease of use' or 'visually appealing' areas.  Not every squadron needs to have RSS feeds, 'members only' areas, etc.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Pylon

I know Nick McClarty was working on a website-in-a-box thing for squadrons that actually looked super sharp and pretty exciting.   It was at some stage of beta testing, if I recall correctly.  Maybe I can find out what the status is on that deal, as it should be a great resource for squadrons.

Lancer

I tried to address this late last year with an e-mail to BG Courter, but with my luck I probably used an e-mail address she didn't check anymore. This is what I sent to her regarding this topic.

So now I'll call this an 'Open Letter to anyone at NHQ...'

Greetings Brig Gen Courter,

I am writing to you today to express some ideas I have regarding the Professional Branding Initiative that is underway for 2007. I had learned of this through the Executive Director's Update as posted on http://capblog.typepad.com.

I have only recently joined CAP as an adult officer of the Boulle-Norman Memorial Sqdn. in Grand Rapids, MI, along with my son. Since I've been involved again, I have been doing all I can to research online to get back 'up to speed' on all things CAP. During this time, I've been on many related website's (squadron, wing, regional etc.) and have seen/experienced anything from a site that looks as professional, clean and informative as CAP.GOV to a site that looks like it was abandoned in 1998 and/or is designed very poorly.

The reason this has me concerned is that, even before learning of the branding initiative that is in place, in this 'day and age of the internet' being so prevalent, coupled with the fact that the Civil Air Patrol is 'THE' preeminent volunteer organization, I don't think we can move forward in the eyes of the general public and/or associated organizations. There is a such a variance with the image the 'membership-at-large' is presenting online that I wouldn't be surprised that it's generating some confusion for some folks and may actually hinder recruitment of new members.

With all that being said, I would like to propose to you, that we add a component to this branding initiative that will allow for a re-vamping of our collective 'online presence'. If something is currently in place, great, but I would like to know for sure, and possibly be able to help. I work in the IT field as a Hardware/Software Technical Analyst and have a great deal of interest in the internet and the benefits it offers. I have expressed my ideas with others in my wing, i.e. Lt Col Mike Saile and was prompted to write to you to express these ideas.

What I would propose is that CAP employs a 'Web Style Guide' for the organization. This is a common practice throughout major corporations that operate with many sub-ordinate companies. It ensures that regardless of what is being 'sold/offered' it is done so with a similar design throughout the organization. Colors, images and content of course vary from site to site, but the overall design remains the same.

Doing so would:
•   Present a united 'brand' and/or image
•   Establish rules for CAP organizations using the internet
•   Create 'Easy to Implement' web templates

Ideally, each level of command would have its own sub-ordinate style for its web presence. An example of this would be; each region website, while looking similar in style to the overall corporate presence (CAP.GOV), you would know from one regions website, to the next, it's a 'Region' site.

This same approach would be used for wings, groups, squadrons and flights. The idea being each level has design elements that are not only unique to the lead site, but elements that define it as its specific type. You would know instantly from site to site whether you were on a squadron website, or say a wing website.

Please consider this and share it with the rest of the leadership as I believe, this would be a great benefit to moving our organization forward. I look forward to hearing your feedback on these ideas.

Best Regards,

Mark L. Curtis, SM, CAP
Boulle-Norman Memorial Cadet Squadron
GLR-MI-265 Grand Rapids, MI USA

Now in my months and months of looking for template ideas and what not, I came across a couple of sites that had CAP-centric website templates, which are pretty nice. BUT, they want to charge units for this service. That's great for units that have  funds for this, but really, there should be something 'free', and ideally, from NHQ.

All that aside, hosting becomes an issue. AFAIAC, free hosting is great, but it's GOT to be 'ad free', period. Banner ads, etc. detract from a site BIG TIME, and like Stonewall said, having some cheesy URL that is long and hard to remember does not help to present a professional look.

This however can be easily cured by submitting a request here. Which is the request page for a CAP domain name.

I'm no Alpha-Geek Web Wonk, like Tedda, but I certainly aspire to his level of graphical design capability and am neck deep in site design and setup here in Michigan.

Please share your feedback with my above mentioned ideas and if anyone has any pull up top, try and see if you can put this on someone's 'desk'. Thanks.

jimmydeanno

Great letter Mark,

I am sure that if Brig Gen Courter recieves this, with her experience, she will agree with ALL of your suggestions.

I am particularly fond of the unique schemes for each 'level' of the organization, this is a great idea.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Nick

Quote from: Pylon on April 19, 2007, 01:23:12 PM
I know Nick McClarty was working on a website-in-a-box thing for squadrons that actually looked super sharp and pretty exciting.   It was at some stage of beta testing, if I recall correctly.  Maybe I can find out what the status is on that deal, as it should be a great resource for squadrons.

I actually abandoned that project because it was hard to break it down for export, and anyone wanting to deploy it would need a perfect server setup (Apache, MySQL, PHP).  I have a few options, such as building a Dreamweaver template with manually editable pages... return to a database driven PHP site that's designed for exporting... or a PHP site that uses locally stored files in place of a database for its dynamic-ness.

I can look into a few different ways to work it.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus