Helicopter Evac during NYWG Eval

Started by Ozzy, April 04, 2017, 03:28:42 AM

Ozzy

Hey guys, it's not every day that we get to utilize helicopters during CAP ES training but this past weekend during the NY Wing Eval we had a nice surprise. Suffolk County police came down and gave us some nice support to help evacuate a patient with a broken leg and our evaluator was nice enough to, unknown to us at the time, record the exchange. Video below:

Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

JayT

Well, that explains why Aviation was buzzing the area around my house for an hour.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

husker

Michael Long, Lt Col CAP
Deputy Director, National Emergency Services Academy
nesa.cap.gov
mlong (at) nesa.cap.gov

ka8yiu

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Ozzy

Major Podell was our lost mountain biker and got to fly for a little bit.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

stillamarine

I LOL'd a little bit when the guy was telling everyone to take a knee. I spent plenty of time standing underneath, CH-53 D/Es, CH-46, MV-22 (including the first external lift at Pax River) and other helos. That little beater would be like a light breeze  ;D

edi: Oz I think that was you and my intention is not disrespect, just reminded me of younger years.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Ozzy

Ah it's okay. It was habit from dealing with Chinooks and Blackhawks in the Army, they had a lot more rotor wash as you know. We also didn't have time to prep the landing zone and it was coming close to us for the landing, better safe then sorry.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

Local.Sar.noob

THRAWN

Nice! Good to see that some wings are still getting some training like this.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Ozzy

Yeah, this was NY as the title states :-)

When we got our briefing earlier in the day from the heli crew, they did say they want to do more training wih us so hopefully we'll be getting a whole lot more of this. WIWAC (2007-2010), Long Island had a lot more ES resources and worked pretty close with different fire departments and cooperating with... sadly it's not as much anymore. I was hoping to start doing more to get back to it but I'll be moving down to GA in August and thus my plans are gone.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

Flying Pig

Had everyone take a knee but left their covers on  ;D

LTC Don

Quote from: THRAWN on April 10, 2017, 09:37:11 PM

Truth!

Glad to see someone actually made some effort to do some multi-agency training (which should be SOP for any training event).  Great job!
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

THRAWN

Quote from: LTC Don on April 24, 2017, 12:12:48 PM

Truth!

Glad to see someone actually made some effort to do some multi-agency training (which should be SOP for any training event). Great job!

I really agree with this statement. CAP does not operate alone and should be doing more exercises and drills with other agencies. I've never understood the reluctance of CAP to go out and work with the greater ES community....strike that...in some cases I do understand why....sadly....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

jfkspotting

Quote from: Ozzy on April 12, 2017, 04:19:51 PM
Yeah, this was NY as the title states :-)

When we got our briefing earlier in the day from the heli crew, they did say they want to do more training wih us so hopefully we'll be getting a whole lot more of this. WIWAC (2007-2010), Long Island had a lot more ES resources and worked pretty close with different fire departments and cooperating with... sadly it's not as much anymore. I was hoping to start doing more to get back to it but I'll be moving down to GA in August and thus my plans are gone.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

was this the only video you took?

Fubar

Quote from: LTC Don on April 24, 2017, 12:12:48 PMGlad to see someone actually made some effort to do some multi-agency training (which should be SOP for any training event).  Great job!

Well it's hard to convince other agencies to play with us when we won't fit into their ICS structure. The Sheriff, being the lead SAR agency in most states puts out the bat signal and requests 4 teams as mutual aid to support their own in-house team. Three teams show up and report to the GBD for instruction. CAP shows up with an agency liaison and forwards all requests to the IC who forwards it to the OSC who forwards it to the GBD who then can't reach the GTL by radio or phone to pass along the instructions.

My wing has been there, done that, haven't been asked back to train since. They of course only call the agencies they train with when the real-deal happens.

Hey, sorry for all the shorthand:

IC = Incident Commander
OSC = Operations Section Chief
GBD = Ground Branch Director
GTL = Ground Team Leader
ICS = Incident Command System
CAP = If you don't know this one, you're lost

wuzafuzz

Quote from: LTC Don on April 24, 2017, 12:12:48 PM

Truth!

Glad to see someone actually made some effort to do some multi-agency training (which should be SOP for any training event).  Great job!
In my experience multi-agency training isn't particularly rare in CAP.  Reporting on it is, since we can't share those mission-numbered experiences without PIO or IC permissions. Probably 1/3 of my actual missions as a CUL included coordination with other agencies, so training with those folks makes a ton of sense.

Communications is where I live and breathe, and we periodically exercise with outside groups. Requesting PIO attention wasn't fruitful; PIOs are relatively rare and they have competing requests and personal lives.  So I recently earned a PIO rating to brag on communications exercises, including those where we play well with other children. Hopefully we can get the word out, improving awareness and generating interest.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."