DDRX no longer part of QCUA?

Started by Eclipse, February 09, 2017, 03:49:46 PM

Eclipse

As pointed out in this thread: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=21821.msg399156#msg399156

DDRX was apparently removed from the QCUA in favor of 60% GES.  We had thought GES was an add,
but it's a net-neutral in regards to the number of evaluation points.

I would say this represents a pretty radical shift in emphasis - ~10 years ago DDR was a big deal with a
fair amount of funding (posters, tchotchke, even encampment and activity funding) and rhetoric that CAP was the USAF's official DDR partner.

~5 some years ago the DDR directorate was absorbed into the CP and the DDRO was abolished,
and now it's no longer part of QCUA.

I see there is still an available Duty Assignment, but no specialty track.

I know it struggled for relevance in a "This is your brain on drugs..." kind of way,
but it seems odd for CAP to be stepping back from this.

Anybody know what gives?

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

Quote from: Eclipse on February 09, 2017, 03:49:46 PM
As pointed out in this thread: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=21821.msg399156#msg399156

DDRX was apparently removed from the QCUA in favor of 60% GES.  We had thought GES was an add,

I would say this represents a pretty radical shift in emphasis - ~10 years ago DDR was a big deal with a
fair amount of funding (posters, tchotchke, even encampment and activity funding) and rhetoric that CAP was the USAF's official DDR partner.

~5 some years ago the DDR directorate was absorbed into the CP and the DDRO was abolished,

I know it struggled for relevance in a "This is your brain on drugs..." kind of way,

Anybody know what gives?

Seems rather backward, considering the increase in the opioid issues nationwide.

https://www.hhs.gov/opioids/about-the-epidemic/

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

dwb

The shift seems to be towards rolling "promoting a drug-free ethic" under character development, and dropping the separate emphasis on DDR. I suspect most of our cadets don't need to be reminded every month not to do drugs.

DJ Light Chop

I think they got rid of the DDR specialty track, didn't they?  Maybe they weren't getting a lot of participation from the squadrons.

A.Member

Quote from: dwb on February 09, 2017, 04:43:40 PM
The shift seems to be towards rolling "promoting a drug-free ethic" under character development, and dropping the separate emphasis on DDR. I suspect most of our cadets don't need to be reminded every month not to do drugs.
Concur.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Spam

Eclipse, thanks for a thought provoking post.

My first thought was that the HHS site was filled with some interesting facts, including:

• [heroin specific] Improve opioid prescribing practices and help identify individuals at high risk early. Among new heroin users, about three out of four report abusing prescription opioids before using heroin
  • four in five new heroin users started out by misusing prescription opioids. http://hhs.gov/sites/default/files/Factsheet-opioids-061516.pdf
  • medical schools and 191 nursing schools have committed to requiring their students to take some form of
    prescriber education in line with the CDC Guideline [same source, regarding $60M in funding for provider education
Stepping back from this and reading objectively, I would think that, at least regarding opioid demand reduction, targeting the listed factors would be far more productive than funding the activities in CAP's current DDR program.

Secondly, its worth reminding ourselves that the DDR program was funded and driven in most part by the USAF DDR program, which was focused at a range of internal screening and enforcement actions, but also an education component for both USAF dependents (primarily) and pre-enlistment populations (secondary). So, our CAP funding for DDR was always linked only to those CAP units (with cadets, only) within a close radius of USAF installations. There was not a broad mandate (funding-wise) across all units, or towards adult members. This was promulgated via http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_sg/publication/afi90-508/afi90-508.pdf:
"AFI90-507 22 SEPTEMBER 2014
1.2.2. Community outreach is defined as on and off base prevention, drug education/awareness and deterrence activities targeted to Department of Defense (DoD) family members, retirees, civilians, and contractors" and "2.6.4.11. Civil Air Patrol"

Thirdly, does DDR education work (in general)?
See the USAFR component brief at http://www.npnconference.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/AFRC.NPN_.Panel_.FINAL_.pptx.pdf.
In specific, be sure to see slides 34, 35, and 36 of Mr. Jenrettes brief. He does mention CAPs DDR program in his brief. Clearly, there are demonstrable benefits to the Air Force in terms of DDR training reducing involuntary separations (and potentially unrecognized but associated reductions in mishap and injury statistics).

Fourth, why then is DDR being down scoped and deemphasized in CAP?
I think we'll find a two pronged answer here. One is the impact of sequestration and other fiscal constraints over the past few years (e.g. if the USAF is forced to shut down the entire F-22 production line to pay for MRAPS and lance corporals in Iraq/Afghanistan, then reductions in CAP programs are a given). The other is that DDR was recognized as a "niche" program which was squarely focused at cadet units near USAF bases (ONLY, in some Wings) and that a more balanced approach would be to expand and institutionalize that throughout the regular cadet program, making it an integrated component of the physical fitness for duty program.

As a recent Wing Director of Cadet Programs I can attest that in our Wing at least participation was very low (1- 2 units) despite the high number of units near bases. There would be a whole separate thread about the perceived usefulness of the various program elements, though (e.g. the relative effectiveness of carton upon carton of red ribbons which were thrown away and the low general quality of "amateur teen drug drama skit nights" versus the "fatal vision" goggles and empirically based DDR productions and demos). As with so many program elements, amateurish production values and poor planning and activity execution seem to have set against our DDR effort from the start to (ironically) kill the demand for DDR. I hold out hope that we can transition to a simpler, better, integrated, "fit to fly and fight" program.  However, I'm a cockeyed optimist, hoping that we'll streamline and simplify the currently over-complex new PT program to remove the statistics and so forth into a separate program reference document, and repackage PT and DDR elements into a slimmer, integrated, "how to" CAPP written at the junior high school reading level for field use.

Thanks, Eclipse.
Spam

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on February 09, 2017, 03:49:46 PM

Anybody know what gives?

To be fair, GES is a NEW Requirement, whereas previously it was DDRx OR RRLA. Now, I didn't take a good look at RRLA previously, but I thought Red Ribbon was about being drug free? Because the current RRLA seems to be an abridged version of our Character Development/Great Start Leadership lessons.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spam on February 09, 2017, 05:50:52 PMThe other is that DDR was recognized as a "niche" program which was squarely focused at cadet units near USAF bases (ONLY, in some Wings)

I will say this was definitely a nail in it back in the day when it was fully funded.  The majority of my wing isn't in proximity to
a USAF base (though we did try to do some math on the reservists at the local USA and USN facilities to see if we could attack it
from that angle) so we never were able to get any traction.

I always said that a creative DDRO could HQ himself on our one major USAF installation and use that channel to support
programs throughout the wing, but that was usually met with crickets.

The other thing I've always said is that CAP, in and of itself, is "DDR Incarnate" and talking to kids who are already a cut above their peers, and
generally striving for more about not doing drugs seemed a little "on the head and redundant". I would think the
models of most CAP seniors and the high-functioning cadets would be enough to cover the "drugs is bad, mkay" message,
though sadly we do read every day about high achievers who throw it all away on one controlled substance or another,
not the least of which is alcohol.

It just always seemed to me "These poor kids are pounded with this all day at school, and in the media, they need to get it here too?"

"That Others May Zoom"

CAPDCCMOM

I also have to wonder if our Political culture is a cause. We have many States that are legalizing recreational marijuana. And many cities and counties are "decriminalizing". I am not saying that I am on on side or the other, so please put back the tar and feathers. I am just throwing out a "what if".

The opioid epidemic is very scary. I work with young people for my day job. I have seen several that have started a heroin addiction, because of the pain meds that they got for athletic injuries, or a wisdom tooth extraction.

Eclipse

As to the RRLA, that seems well-intentioned, but a pretty touch row to hoe, especially
in the context of how skittish schools are these days to allow any outside groups to speak
to their kids in anything other then "district approved tones".

It's one thing to wear the ribbon to school, or stick it on your books as you walk around
and answer questions, but it's a whole 'nother deal to expect 20 some adolescents to come
to an anti-drug seminar on a weekend for an organizaiton they don't even belong to and probably
haven'r heard of - not to mention how hard it is to get any kid to do things on a weekend,
even our own members because the the nature of kids calendars these days.

I still have one of the old ones, made it into a magnet:

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on February 09, 2017, 06:40:04 PM
I also have to wonder if our Political culture is a cause. We have many States that are legalizing recreational marijuana. And many cities and counties are "decriminalizing". I am not saying that I am on on side or the other, so please out back the tar and feathers. I am just throwing out a "what if".

The opiod epidemic is very scary. I work with young people for my day job. I have seen several that have started a heroin addiction, because of the pain meds that they got for athletic injuries, or a wisdom tooth extraction.

What a mess - talk about a nightmare in terms of credibility. "Grandma lives in CO and she says it's fine...".  We joked in my last CD refresher that
"...Depending on who was elected, instead of working for the DEA, we'll be helping the Dept of Agriculture...".

The heroin epidemic is frightening for exactly the reasons you state, in many cases it starts with either legal or illegal prescription meds and
escalates from there.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on February 09, 2017, 06:52:44 PM
Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on February 09, 2017, 06:40:04 PM
I also have to wonder if our Political culture is a cause. We have many States that are legalizing recreational marijuana. And many cities and counties are "decriminalizing". I am not saying that I am on on side or the other, so please out back the tar and feathers. I am just throwing out a "what if".

The opiod epidemic is very scary. I work with young people for my day job. I have seen several that have started a heroin addiction, because of the pain meds that they got for athletic injuries, or a wisdom tooth extraction.

What a mess - talk about a nightmare in terms of credibility. "Grandma lives in CO and she says it's fine...".  We joked in my last CD refresher that
"...Depending on who was elected, instead of working for the DEA, we'll be helping the Dept of Agriculture...".

The heroin epidemic is frightening for exactly the reasons you state, in many cases it starts with either legal or illegal prescription meds and
escalates from there.

I disagree.

At least the lesson plans we did for DDRx last year focused on prescription drugs and alcohol - both legal.

Just because MJ may or may not be viewed as a gray area in certain jurisdictions, doesn't mean that the whole program needs to be scrapped. Smoking is bad, Drinking is bad, but both are legal, so we could still encourage cadets not to partake, or at least moderate their views on them.

Eclipse

I get it - "moderation in all things" should be the mantra.

By "mess", I meant it more as a general comment towards the State of the Union, then CAP specifically.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on February 09, 2017, 07:29:24 PM
I get it - "moderation in all things" should be the mantra.

By "mess", I meant it more as a general comment towards the State of the Union, then CAP specifically.

It's one of those "doing the same thing and expecting a different result" situations. Clearly the anti-drug messages as presented for decades haven't been working.

CAPDCCMOM

We should not "throw out the baby with the bathwater", many parts of the program are beneficial. The problem I had was the, one size fits all, approach. The needs and issues facing a 12 yo Cadet are very different that a 17 yo. I think what may have been needed is a differentiated program.

I can remember BITD, Nancy Reagan's "Just Say NO", many laugh and scoff today. But I remember being in grade school and getting a certificate, probably 1000's were printed. But mine meant something to me. It stayed on my wall in my room, it may have been what kept me from crossing that line.

Eclipse

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on February 09, 2017, 07:47:41 PM
It's one of those "doing the same thing and expecting a different result" situations. Clearly the anti-drug messages as presented for decades haven't been working.

I dunno about that.  I believe smoking and drug use, generally, are at historic lows, though in some of the studies I've
seen, the de-stigmatization of cannabis seems to make those inclined anyway bolder and use more often.

The opiod abuse is largely thanks to the medical community, but is a legit problem, even though is is somewhat hidden,
along with the "soccer mom heroin addicts".

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on February 09, 2017, 08:00:01 PMWe should not "throw out the baby with the bathwater", many parts of the program are beneficial. The problem I had was the, one size fits all, approach. The needs and issues facing a 12 yo Cadet are very different that a 17 yo. I think what may have been needed is a differentiated program. I can remember BITD, Nancy Reagan's "Just Say NO", many laugh and scoff today. But I remember being in grade school and getting a certificate, probably 1000's were printed. But mine meant something to me. It stayed on my wall in my room, it may have been what kept me from crossing that line.

If a piece of paper was the only thing that stood in your way, then their message wasn't very effective.

Quote from: Eclipse on February 09, 2017, 08:01:01 PM
Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on February 09, 2017, 07:47:41 PM

I dunno about that.  I believe smoking and drug use, generally, are at historic lows, though in some of the studies I've
seen, the de-stigmatization of cannabis seems to make those inclined anyway bolder and use more often.

The opiod abuse is largely thanks to the medical community, but is a legit problem, even though is is somewhat hidden,
along with the "soccer mom heroin addicts".

I agree that the rates are trending down. Just not the cause.

[fixed the font size]

Eclipse

Well, for starters, taxing cigarettes into the ground hasn't hurt.

In Illinois the average price is ~$11.50 a PACK.  Holey Smokes (Heh, see what I did there?)

http://theawl.com/what-a-pack-of-cigarettes-costs-in-every-state-266d285b8a68#.wpmole10x

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on February 09, 2017, 08:08:44 PM
Well, for starters, taxing cigarettes into the ground hasn't hurt.

In Illinois the average price is ~$11.50 a PACK.  Holey Smokes (Heh, see what I did there?)

http://theawl.com/what-a-pack-of-cigarettes-costs-in-every-state-266d285b8a68#.wpmole10x

Which has zero to do with the messaging kids and teens have been getting. I guess my point is that a complex issue has complex solutions? On one hand, I don't think CAP needs to be involved in this. We're neither experts, nor have the time to do it properly. On the other hand, I feel like we should be part of the solution, at least in a smart way.

Eclipse

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on February 09, 2017, 08:22:42 PMOn the other hand, I feel like we should be part of the solution, at least in a smart way.

probably the strongest message we can send in this regard is in modeling the behavior. ((*ahem*))

"That Others May Zoom"

CAPDCCMOM

I completely agree that the Senior Officers modeling a sober lifestyle and behavior is the best way to deal with this issue. So, in keeping with that, I hope that all Wing Conferences will be "dry" events. I really would rather not have Cadets see their Leadership blind drunk at said Conferences.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on February 09, 2017, 08:51:21 PM
I completely agree that the Senior Officers modeling a sober lifestyle and behavior is the best way to deal with this issue. So, in keeping with that, I hope that all Wing Conferences will be "dry" events. I really would rather not have Cadets see their Leadership blind drunk at said Conferences.

Didn't we just talk about moderation? Abstinence doesn't work. At all.

CAPDCCMOM

Unfortunately, there is no "moderation" with heroin, or most opioids. There is also no moderation for those under 21. If a person does not have a problem with drinking, they can remain sober for a weekend, if they can't, they have no business drinking in the first place.

Eclipse

I'm of two minds on this.  I don't drink, so on the one hand, as far as I'm concerned, the whole
alcohol situation is a huge chunk of background noise I'd just as soon see go away. A history of
alcoholism and / or heavy use on both sides of my family kinda shaped that for me.

I'd also agree that in a perfect world, the wing conference would stay out of the hotel bar,
and go into the Cafe after dinner, but the world isn't perfect, and...

...with that said...

Adults should be able to enjoy an alcoholic beverage with their dinner or to relax themselves
in the evening with friends, etc., alcohol is legal for consumption, carries with it a lot of tradition
and seeing adults imbibing in moderation is probably just as much of a good model as whole-scale abstinence,
because the latter can sometimes either demonize or mysticize alcohol making it all the more attractive
to adolescents.

There's a difference between toasting the fallen and seeing shoulder eagles flying across a ping pong table
for the last score.  If you're "one and done", no foul.  If you're still there at closing time and can't see across the table
for the bottles, that an issue 4 different ways.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAPDCCMOM

Eclispe, very well said. I was not trying to be Carrie Nation and take us all the way back to prohibition, I promise. Like you, I assume, I have seen holidays, weddings, funerals, Super Bowls, and Tuesdays ruined when people could not be "one and done".

Having a beverage while with family and friends is fine. But, and here is my point, we would not have a cooler of beer at the Squadron BBQ, nor should we imbibe at the Conference. And for the same reason, we expect to deal with Cadets. The only way around this is to make the Conference a "Senior Officer Only" event

LATORRECA

Reading the Q&A in this forum hasn't answered the question why.
Maybe I said maybe is because the population of cadets in the CP are the more clean cut cadet that doesn't do drugs and if happen they prefer to leave the program first before going that path. I'm just saying.
I was never  successful because our cadet Corp doesn't have a drug problem and as I read before its more of a cookie cutter designed to help the young kids and not the older cadets.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk