"On a Wing and a Prayer" (1944 film)

Started by RNOfficer, December 28, 2016, 10:07:30 PM

THRAWN

Oh, Amazon reviews. There is an authorative source. BLUF nobody is going to assist you in the "clean up" of old films so they fit your definition of what is right and wrong.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Spam

Pfff. Not much of a controversy at all, from those comments.

You don't like the original source documents, so you start attacking some small publisher for being small, as a way to discredit the  argument? Right. Ad hominem in lieu of a rational argument.

You're really floundering there.

Spam

Eclipse

Quote from: THRAWN on January 03, 2017, 11:14:53 PMBLUF nobody is going to assist you in the "clean up" of old films so they fit your definition of what is right and wrong.

Seriously - I mean for years it was insisted that Deckard wasn't a replicant, then in 2000 Sir Scott indicated, somewhat authoritatively,
and based on "evidence" readily available, that he was.

Now there is apparently new information recently uncovered and set for public release in Oct 2017. 

Will the public ever know the truth?

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

Quote from: THRAWN on January 03, 2017, 11:14:53 PM
Oh, Amazon reviews. There is an authorative source. BLUF nobody is going to assist you in the "clean up" of old films so they fit your definition of what is right and wrong.

Yeah, the irony in his quoting Amazon reviews as authoritative, while at the same time attacking another source presenting source documentation, is stunning.

V/r
Spam

RRLE

Quote from: RNOfficer on January 03, 2017, 10:33:37 PMThe publisher, Athena Press, is seems very odd  -- it apparently has published only two books in its history. It looks to me like a "vanity press", a fake publisher that has books printed for it, usually because the author pays for it when no legitimate publisher would take the book.

It is more than odd.

Minereva Press Deceived And Defrauded Us

That is a link to a letter to the FL AG asking for an investigation of Minereva/Athena. A quote from that site:

QuoteMinereva Press Changed Name To Athena Press
And Deceived And Defrauded Us
WITHIN THE STATE OF FLORIDA
AND THEY ARE STILL REGISTERED IN FLORIDA
Sir, I have been deceived and defrauded by Minerva Press, which changed name to Athena Press and is registered in the State of Florida. Here is our documented experience in the hands of ATHENA (MINERVA) PRESS. I was not an author by profession so I knew next to nothing about book publishing at the time I started dealing with MINERVA now ATHENA PRESS. They have virtually ruined my writing career.

I verified thru the FL Division of Corporations that statements about the name change are true. It happened on Mar 18, 2002 in FL. Athena Press is a foreign corporation in FL, it is really incorporated or was incorporated in DE. The FL registration as a foreign corporation expired on 09/19/2003 due to failure to file the annual report.

Athena Press in the US appears tied to a corporation with a similar name in the UK. The officers listed on the original FL registration have UK addresses. The UK company is a vanity publisher.

There is more "good stuff" about Athena in the AG letter. I wouldn't say they are reputable.

RRLE

Here is a FL court case, Henin vs Athena Press Ltd that backs up some of the assertions in the AG letter of my prior post.

I found 5 corporations registered in DL with Athena Press in their name.

ATHENA PRESS INC. 8/11/1988
ATHENA PRESS L.L.C. 12/28/1998
ATHENA PRESS PUBLISHING CO. 5/4/1999
ATHENA PRESS, INC. 12/4/1978
ATHENAPRESS.COM LLC 1/18/2000

Since the court opinion states the US company ceased operations, I wouldn't bother paying the $10 fee per corp to find out the current status.

RRLE

It gets better.

From Worldwide Watches Scam

QuoteIt was a terrible mistake for me to deal with a company as dishonest as Minerva Press, which changed name to Athena Press after being sued and wound up by cheated authors. It was quite painful to find out that while they were being sued by cheated authors, they told us they were changing name and relocating from Miami, Florida, in USA to Twickenham in the United Kingdom. They collected $6,080.00 from me and almost the same amount from another author I introduced to them.

They are at it again, filing for voluntary liquidation and changing name from Athena Press to Wilbury Solutions Limited masterminded by Messrs Mark Sykes, David Moore and Alison Austen in relationship with another company called FastPrint Publishers. They are still collecting books and money from new, unwary, trusting authors and they must be stopped.

RNOfficer

Quote from: Spam on January 03, 2017, 11:22:38 PM

Yeah, the irony in his quoting Amazon reviews as authoritative, while at the same time attacking another source presenting source documentation, is stunning.

V/r
Spam

I think the irony is that you claim I presented Amazon reviews as an "authoritative source" while I all  actually stated "you can read the controversy about this book in the Amazon reviews at:"

I would appreciate it if you did not claim I stated something when  I did not - - - and it makes you look right foolish when any reader can  just just check back and see f themselves that what you state is untrue.

I have not read all of "Magic: The Untold Story of U.S. Intelligence and the Evacuation of Japanese Residents from the West Coast During WW II" but that fact that no reputable historical source reviewed it and that it comes from a disreputable publisher  make it suspect.

In any case, so far as I can tell  the book does not contain records of any sabotage or intelligence actually obtained from or by Japanese-Americans but only the diplomats'  belief that they could be obtained.

It's a great leap from what some diplomats write they hope to get and what they actually got. As noted by others, there were very few actual prosecutions of Japanese-Americans for espionage.

This lack of prosecutions and lack of real evidence of spying or sabotage does not mean that the internment of Japanese-Americans was not justified given the conditions of wartime emergency but ""Magic: The Untold Story..." it does not justify claims that there actually was sabotage and spying.

Finally, let me return to my initial posts which were about wartime films, "A Wing and a Prayer" and "Air Force". I objected to the later films's depiction of sabotage by Japanese-Americans during the Pearl Harbor attack. (The film depicted Japanese-Americans driving farm trucks onto US airfields smashing American warplanes.)  This and other acts of sabotage depicted in the film were fictitious; probably an attempt to shift blame for the USAAF's unpreparedness the USAAF has responsibility for protecting Pearl Harbor from air attack) as well as to stir up more hatred against the Japanese (and Japanese-Americans).

THRAWN

Quote from: RNOfficer on January 05, 2017, 01:26:48 AM
Quote from: Spam on January 03, 2017, 11:22:38 PM

V/r
Spam

I think the irony is that you claim I presented Amazon reviews as an "authoritative source" while I all  actually stated "you can read the controversy about this book in the Amazon reviews at:"

I would appreciate it if you did not claim I stated something when  I did not - - - and it makes you look right foolish when any reader can  just just check back and see f themselves that what you state is untrue.

I have not read all of "Magic: The Untold Story of U.S. Intelligence and the Evacuation of Japanese Residents from the West Coast During WW II" but that fact that no reputable historical source reviewed it and that it comes from a disreputable publisher  make it suspect.

In any case, so far as I can tell  the book does not contain records of any sabotage or intelligence actually obtained from or by Japanese-Americans but only the diplomats'  belief that they could be obtained.

It's a great leap from what some diplomats write they hope to get and what they actually got. As noted by others, there were very few actual prosecutions of Japanese-Americans for espionage.

This lack of prosecutions and lack of real evidence of spying or sabotage does not mean that the internment of Japanese-Americans was not justified given the conditions of wartime emergency but ""Magic: The Untold Story..." it does not justify claims that there actually was sabotage and spying.

Finally, let me return to my initial posts which were about wartime films, "A Wing and a Prayer" and "Air Force". I objected to the later films's depiction of sabotage by Japanese-Americans during the Pearl Harbor attack. (The film depicted Japanese-Americans driving farm trucks onto US airfields smashing American warplanes.)  This and other acts of sabotage depicted in the film were fictitious; probably an attempt to shift blame for the USAAF's unpreparedness the USAAF has responsibility for protecting Pearl Harbor from air attack) as well as to stir up more hatred against the Japanese (and Japanese-Americans).

That's exactly what the film was designed to do. It was wartime propaganda to generate moral outrage and cast the enemy as the "bad guy". Popular culture has always done this, and continues to do it, and will continue to do it. Your objection is noted and over ruled. You can't impose 2016/7 SJW values on 70 year old films/books/magazines/Halsey's billboards. What's next? Disclaimers in Huck Finn? Roots? How about just ban them outright?

As far as the Amazon reviews, I never claimed that you said they were a authoritative source. But if you are going to counter an point with garbage, you're getting called on it. Stick to posting WebMD links.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member