DSL Causing Harmful Interference on CAP Frequencies

Started by wuzafuzz, December 20, 2016, 11:31:23 AM

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on December 21, 2016, 01:20:33 AM
DSL?  It's 2016.

Some people only have access to DSL Bob. Heck I have areas here in Southern California that can't even get DSL.
It's Dial-Up or nuthin'.

Eclipse

Then those people should pack up the cows and move to where the FSM intended
for human beings to live.

I was on wireless broadband (municipal-level system similar to, but faster at the time,
then mobile cellular) until about 2 years ago, specifically so I wouldn't have to deal with
the telco or Comcast.  Sadly Sprint bought the network and shut it down, so Comcast became
the lessor of two evils.

I have no idea how anyone with even normal internet needs, let alone work needs,
could use dial-up these days.

"That Others May Zoom"

wuzafuzz

Problem resolved!  DSL service is no more.  Cable Internet is up and running with no interference to CAP HF or CAP VHF.  Although the new service costs more, I moved from roughly 40 Mbps to 100Mbps.  As a general purpose tech geek I'm not going to complain about that.

Before switching I had moved the DSL modem to a shielded box in my basement, which is where all my cable and phone connections enter the house.  Even with all other phone lines and Ethernet disconnected, the DSL service howled it's junk onto HF.  Bye bye.

It's really5 nice to finally have a collection of connectivity devices/services that don't throw RFI onto our VHF or HF channels.   :clap:
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

THRAWN

Quote from: Eclipse on December 22, 2016, 05:08:50 AM
Then those people should pack up the cows and move to where the FSM intended
for human beings to live.

I was on wireless broadband (municipal-level system similar to, but faster at the time,
then mobile cellular) until about 2 years ago, specifically so I wouldn't have to deal with
the telco or Comcast.  Sadly Sprint bought the network and shut it down, so Comcast became
the lessor of two evils.

I have no idea how anyone with even normal internet needs, let alone work needs,

First world problems....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Eclipse

Quote from: wuzafuzz on December 22, 2016, 11:02:01 AM...Cable Internet is up and running...

Not to be missed here - new cable service installed and working in what, three days?  A Festive Miracle!

Quote from: THRAWN on December 22, 2016, 12:57:17 PM

First world problems....

Agreed - thankfully that is still where I live, though the US isn't even in the top 10
countries in terms of average or peak internet speeds as of 2015.

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

Quote from: Eclipse on December 22, 2016, 01:08:23 PM
Quote from: wuzafuzz on December 22, 2016, 11:02:01 AM...Cable Internet is up and running...

Not to be missed here - new cable service installed and working in what, three days?  A Festive Miracle!

First world problems....

Agreed - thankfully that is still where I live, though the US isn't even in the top 10

It's a sad state of affairs when the US isn't in the top 10 of everything. So continues the slide into Idiocracy...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

wuzafuzz

Definitely a pleasant surprise.  The change triggered some minor downstream projects with my home network, but that stuff is fun.   ;D
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Briank

Fortunately in my area, DSL is cheaper than dial-up now.  :-)  $23/mo DSL + $5/mo UNE charge vs. $20/mo line charge + $10/mo dialtone charge + $10/mo dialup service.  :-)

The high speeds don't gain as much as you'd think, so perhaps dialup still is viable for basic surfing/e-mail?  My DSL is only 1.0 Mbps, but I have no trouble streaming video.  Not in HD of course, but I don't have HD screens either.

Back on topic, it's really surprising to hear about DSL causing RFI issues.  I can't recall ever hearing that before.  I always hear about cable causing the RFI problems.

PHall

Quote from: THRAWN on December 22, 2016, 01:11:32 PM

First world problems....

It's a sad state of affairs when the US isn't in the top 10 of everything. So continues the slide into Idiocracy...

Yeah, take a look at the size of the countries that have better internet speeds. They're all a lot smaller then us.
Our problem is that we're so big. And as long as we're using land based methods (copper cable and fiber optic cable) it's going to be a problem.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: PHall on December 25, 2016, 04:16:47 PM

First world problems....

Yeah, take a look at the size of the countries that have better internet speeds. They're all a lot smaller then us.
Our problem is that we're so big. And as long as we're using land based methods (copper cable and fiber optic cable) it's going to be a problem.

Yup, between population size and population density, we have a series of obstacles that pretty much mean that with the exception of Russia, China, and India, everyone will have an easier time getting broadband to all than we will.

With that being said, wireless broadband is making serious headway in rural zones.

PHall

Quote from: Mordecai on December 27, 2016, 10:41:46 PM
Quote from: PHall on December 25, 2016, 04:16:47 PM

First world problems....

Yup, between population size and population density, we have a series of obstacles that pretty much mean that with the exception of Russia, China, and India, everyone will have an easier time getting broadband to all than we will.

With that being said, wireless broadband is making serious headway in rural zones.

Just one of the reasons AT&T brought Direct TV. But the speeds offered on Wireless is still much slower then wireline broadband.
But, the technology is changing at a fairly rapid rate. So who knows what will be offered in a year or even 6 months.

Luis R. Ramos

QuoteBy PH:

Just one of the reasons AT&T brought bought (FTFY) Direct TV. But the speeds offered on Wireless is still much slower then wireline broadband.
But, the technology is changing at a fairly rapid rate. So who knows what will be offered in a year or even 6 months.

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer