Main Menu

GTM3 Tasks

Started by Tyler, November 05, 2016, 02:23:49 AM

Tyler

The ground team task guide says that trainees only have to have items marked with a "T." Does that mean I can have task O-0001 signed off at a training session if my pack only consists of "T" items?

Thanks

Spam

Short answer is "yes".

Longer answer is, (see the ALL CAPs text at the end of the task), your squadron should inspect you for the task now, signing your task off for GTM3* if you have the T items, and before making the final submittal on your complete GTM3, should reinspect to ensure you have the full requirement.

Don't sweat it. Press on.

V/r
Spam

RogueLeader

Yes and no.  Yes, it will let you be in training, but you will need to be re-evaluated prior to being certified as a full GTM3.  Take my advice and buy the cheap stuff until you are sure that you want to stay in GTM.  My reasoning is that if you want to be accurately tested as to what you can physically do as a GTM, you need to carry what you would carry as a full GTM.  Yes, you don't have to carry all of it as a trainee, but can you carry all of it?  I don't know.  Depending on how old you are, how strong physically you are; it really makes a difference.  I trained (or tried to) a 12 year old cadet that could carry the GTM Trainee only gear list, but when it came down to it, the cadet could not hack the full gear.  In my not so humble opinion, that cadet shouldn't have even been there to start with.

Your best bet is talk to your Ground Team Leader or Ground Team Member 3 Evaluator and ask what their thoughts on the matter are, as they will be the ones making the calls.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

As an addendum, depending on the timeline (a GT School where you go in with GES and come out as a fully qualified GTM versus spread out over time) you may need to have it all at once.  I would hate to see a person help up for that reason, (I've had to do it to others and it was done to me because expectations weren't communicated.)  Again, talk to those evaluating for best results.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Spam

I hear you, Rogue Leader.  12 year old cadets eventually turn into 15/16/17 year old cadets, so that's a self correcting problem over time.

I'm as concerned with the other end of the spectrum, with a member who cant carry gear at age 12 plus many decades, as that curve goes the other way. Tyler hasn't said if he is a cadet or senior member.

In any event, there's room in CAP for all; the Urban DF Team rating is a good option for many.

V/r
Spam

Tyler

Thank you for your replies. To be clear, yes I am a Cadet. I will have all my items for future training sessions so I can get used to carrying the full pack.

Damron

Quote from: Spam on November 05, 2016, 03:15:00 AM

I'm as concerned with the other end of the spectrum, with a member who cant carry gear at age 12 plus many decades, as that curve goes the other way. Tyler hasn't said if he is a cadet or senior member.

I haven't seen too many 24 hour packs that don't need to go on a diet.   Many are 2 to 3 times heavier than they need to be.  After putting my own 24 hour pack on a diet at NESA, I'm considering using a sling pack for my 24 hour pack. 

Spam

Yep. Lighter, faster, more efficient...

When the movie "Platoon" came out, some of us went to see it, and laughed... well, at one point at least. In particular, the early scene where Charlie Sheen is sweating his guts out on patrol with an overfull pack, and his NCOs roll their eyes and start pulling junk from his ruck and discarding it...

Spam