Any experience with 5.11 Rush 24 and 72?

Started by Capt Thompson, November 04, 2016, 04:35:03 PM

Capt Thompson

After a couple years of using a Fox Tactical pack for my ground team gear, I recently downsized to the 5.11 Rush 12. The Fox was a bit big for a 24 hour pack, but not big enough for a 72 hour pack, so I switched to the 5.11 and donated the Fox to the Squadron. It fits the entire 24 hour kit with the exception of my first aid kit, which is a Molle pouch attached to the outside, and one of my quarts of water rests on the outside as well.

I love that 5.11 has their tier system, which allows me to attach the 12 to one of the larger packs. I had a similar, albeit sloppy system that I rigged as a Cadet with carabiners on various sized ALICE packs. It made it easy to carry the whole load, and then detach the 24 hour kit when I didn't need the rest.

My question is, for those that use the Rush 24, is it big enough for the 72 hour GTM2 required kit (tent, sleeping bag, spare uniform, 5 meals etc.) or would the Rush 72 be a better option? I'm looking for minimal size, so I'd prefer a smaller pack with everything packed tight, as opposed to a large pack with lots of extra room, but I want to avoid having a lot of gear lashed to the outside as well.

For those that aren't familiar with the 5.11 line, how many cubic inches is your current 72 hour pack, and do you feel it's too small, to large or perfect size.

Ideally, I'd like to find one locally, take in my gear and test it out in person, but this isn't an option so I'll have to order online. I could always order both, and return the one I don't use, but if someone here knows for a fact that one of them definitely will or will not work, it will save me some hassle.

Thanks

Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

Spam

My unit (seven or so GTL/GBDs) has long since standardized on the Level III pack for the 24 hour gear, and ALICE medium/larges for the 72 hour gear.

All the experienced guys tend to leave the frames off, as well, since without fail you'll pull the ALICE out of the vehicle and walk no more than 500 feet to your bivouac spot. The closest analogue (with very few exceptions) is that we're mech infantry, not long range patrol leg infantry. Pack accordingly to keep your logistics footprint low, to allow for packing and deployed carry of team gear (DF, engineering kits, commo gear and batteries, et al).

The other major plus is that members can get a medium ALICE for under forty bucks easily. The medium is:
◾Main compartment 19 inches x 11.5 inches x 9.5 inches
◾Three pouches (5 inches x 2.5 inches x 9 inches)
◾Main compartment capacity (approximately): 34 litres (2075 cubic inches)
◾Total capacity (approximately): 39.52 litres (2412 cubic inches) – this is maximum volume of all the compartments
◾Separate pouch inside large main compartment
◾Accessory loops for storing extra gear (12 on the top front under top flap, 2 on bottom, 3 on each side)

V/r
Spam

abdsp51

5.11 makes good stuff.  I have used their products from watches, pants, boots, socks to a sling bag for my range bag.  The downside is that they are pricey, but you are getting your money's worth with them. 

Having used multiple bags in the course of my career and having used multiple bags for CAP and personal use there are some alternatives.

DF-LC 3 Day pack made by Garrett Containers. (http://www.gcswarrior.com/DF-LCS-V2-MULTI-MISSION-BACKPACK_p_1366.html)

Bug out Bag made by Sandpiper Of California SOC.  (http://www.gcswarrior.com/SOC-Bugout-Bag_p_678.html)

I have had a Bug out Bag by SOC for 4 years now and it is still going strong and have used it from everything from short weekend trips to some extended stays and it has been worth every penny I paid for it. 

USACAP

Rush 24 is probably not big enough for the gear you described.  It's a really nice pack, but it's a day pack.
I have used the Rush 72 for multi-day excursions, it's a good pack. You can find them for a reasonable price used too.
You can also get latest generation military stuff (albeit in the ACU pattern, which is truly atrocious) for super cheap. ACU pattern is being dumped by Big Army and you can find ACU pattern gear for next to nothing.
For example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOLLE-II-LARGE-RUCKSACK-FIELD-PACK-BACKPACK-ACU-Free-Shipping-/331955499292
That is a GREAT pack, I have carried one all over the world. It's much nicer than an ALICE pack and has all the MOLLE goodies on the exterior.

Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on November 04, 2016, 04:35:03 PM
After a couple years of using a Fox Tactical pack for my ground team gear, I recently downsized to the 5.11 Rush 12. The Fox was a bit big for a 24 hour pack, but not big enough for a 72 hour pack, so I switched to the 5.11 and donated the Fox to the Squadron. It fits the entire 24 hour kit with the exception of my first aid kit, which is a Molle pouch attached to the outside, and one of my quarts of water rests on the outside as well.

I love that 5.11 has their tier system, which allows me to attach the 12 to one of the larger packs. I had a similar, albeit sloppy system that I rigged as a Cadet with carabiners on various sized ALICE packs. It made it easy to carry the whole load, and then detach the 24 hour kit when I didn't need the rest.

My question is, for those that use the Rush 24, is it big enough for the 72 hour GTM2 required kit (tent, sleeping bag, spare uniform, 5 meals etc.) or would the Rush 72 be a better option? I'm looking for minimal size, so I'd prefer a smaller pack with everything packed tight, as opposed to a large pack with lots of extra room, but I want to avoid having a lot of gear lashed to the outside as well.

For those that aren't familiar with the 5.11 line, how many cubic inches is your current 72 hour pack, and do you feel it's too small, to large or perfect size.

Ideally, I'd like to find one locally, take in my gear and test it out in person, but this isn't an option so I'll have to order online. I could always order both, and return the one I don't use, but if someone here knows for a fact that one of them definitely will or will not work, it will save me some hassle.

Thanks

docrameous

I have not been on missions where we needed to hike in a considerable distance, set up a basecamp and then pursue our objective.  That being said, I have always tried to be ready to do so and have had an interest in a tiered 24/72 hour pack system.

My first pack was a MOLLE II backpack with an assault pack attached.  It worked.  I was able to strap it near the top and achieved a 'reasonable' balance in the pack with not a lot of shifting.

However, with time I began to become dissatisfied with what I spent the most time using, the assault pack.  So I have gone to the Level III. It does not 'match' the MOLLE II pack as well, but when you spend hours in the field all you care about is the 24 hour gear and the Level III is an upgrade in many ways.

If I ever got into a situation with CAP or our local CERT where we needed to pack in consistently to locations, I might consider the 5.11 72 and 24 in a tiered setup or ILBE or FILBE stuff... but for now that seems too much weight and cost.

I would be interested in what others use and have found.  I have been amazed that this is not discussed more in CAP ground team talk.  My impression is most just worry about their 24 and would be in a world of hurt if they had to carry that and their 72 with it very far.

SKYKING607

Take a look at militaryluggage.com for packs in USAF ABU pattern.  They have a long range "bug-out" bag in the ABU pattern.  I have one of their Camalbak products in the ABU pattern.

A good Mil-Spec pack is the CFP-90.  While not in use with our military any longer, it's available commercially in Woodland Camo, Black, and OD Green.  This is a large ruck with an internal frame.

Also consider the 5.11 Ignitor pack in black.  This pack enables a hunter to slide a hunting rifle down the center of the pack for "ground pounding."  It's an ideal feature to "stow-away" your LPER "sticks" when not in the act of DF'in.  The Rush 72 is a really good pack.  It's well made and has MOLLE all-over the bag.  You can accessorize the pack to your heart's content (and $$$ holds out).

There is a 5.11 store down the road in Irvine, CA.  Since it's at their corporate office, they don't advertise it's location.  Walk-in customers (Fire/Police Service and Military) get 35% off their merchandise.

I personally have a black 5.11 Rush 24 for overnight use.  For everyday use (headin' off to work) I have a Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon pack.

CAWG Career Captain

Eclipse

I had a CFP -90 for a while.  It had some issues with the straps so I didn't spend much time ruckin' with it,
but it was my 72 for quite a while and positively ate up the gear with room to spare.

I always like the separate sleeping bag compartment

"That Others May Zoom"

SKYKING607

Yeah.... that CFP-90 was the best for a long time.  Now imagine this:    A modern 2017 version built for SAR.  Available in Orange, Red, OD Green, Tan or Black will tons of MOLLE around the bag?   It would sell wouldn't it?

Wish I new who the company was that made it.... maybe they'd offer that pack again.

/mc

"good chattin' with ya' "
CAWG Career Captain