Squadron "Fun" Activity

Started by DakRadz, November 02, 2016, 02:48:10 PM

DakRadz

Okay, so this is strictly an exploratory based on cadet request. We have not committed to anything (I told the cadets, as Asst Safety and [brand new] Activity, I would research the issue), but I would absolutely love feedback beyond "Don't do it." We have other activities in the wings, but especially for CAP relevant ideas, they tend to last for 1-2 days and require much more organization- so I'm exploring this and similar "fun" activities to try and start a "once-a-month" routine rather than continuing to do nothing (while Model Rocket weekends and such are being planned).

They want to organize a skating rink activity. Roller blading/skating, simple wood floor round and round type of deal. So I don't know how this falls into activity categories, and I feel good information here would extend to other similar types of events.

This would be a non-meeting night, rent out the hall (to avoid issues with non-members), cadets willing to pay for themselves event. They want the enjoyment of camaraderie (this is our first cohort event, THANKS NIN!) and fun with their new CAP family.

I see the safety issues of falling, breaking things, etc. If we should steer towards activities that are both fun and relevant, okay. But I'm curious what our much more experienced forum CP leaders and Safety experts see in this. We are supposed to listen to the cadets and try to meet their feedback and ideas when feasible.

Our cadet staff, notably, already mentioned that helmets, elbow, and knee pads would likely be required. Another thing to consider, but not insurmountable.

Eclipse

I don't see any reason you can't do this, nor any reason you need to think this to death.

Roller rinks are public facilities with their own insurance.   Meet there and go skating. 

I also don't see any reason you need to rent a closed rink "to avoid issues" - what issues?

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Go, have fun.  The safety officer in me says to wear helmets, knee and elbow pads.

As to having the rink to yourselves, I can see from both sides of it, I wouldn't care either way.  I really don't see liability issues or CPPT issues, so long as there are two Senior Members there.  Having it to yourself can have better esprit de corps opportunities, but YMMV.

Again, I know of no regulatory or safety reason why you can't do this.  Now the question is should you.  In my not so humble opinion, you should.  I would let the cadet that suggested it, have the opportunity to plan the activity, to foster buy in and motivation to succeed.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

DakRadz

Honestly, I'm not thinking it to death. I was a bit worried about the pushback I'd get here. Sometimes we have that effect on each other.... heh.

I appreciate the comments!

As far as the renting out of the rink, some are nicer than others, and some nice ones draw bad crowds- I haven't looked into the ones local to the squadron  (small nearby hometown rink closed few years back and I never went elsewhere), so one plan is to rent it out and not worry about it. 10-20 people still makes for fun, depending on participation.
Depending on research we may just do a public time. Either way, thanks for the input

1st Lt Raduenz

THRAWN

We did this a few times in various units. Check with your local rink to see if they have an "organization night". We would go with the local fire department, some of the local businesses, nursing teams, etc. Half price admission and free skate rentals...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

NIN

I'm thinking about a "learn to curl" event at the local curling club... its a different kind of winter activity..
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.