Hurricane Matthew Preparation and Response Oct 2016

Started by Eclipse, October 05, 2016, 10:53:42 PM

SarDragon

OK, folks, the measuring contest is done. If anyone has anything fresh and relevant to add, do so. Otherwise we're gonna click it off.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

8:40 PM: The St. Johns County Sheriff's Office would like you to know that the Alligator Farm in St. Augustine was not compromised during the storm and the gators were not unleashed on the unsuspecting public. Just FYI.

http://www.facebook.com/StJohnsSheriffOffice/posts/1300185176671888

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

As the storm passes FL and moves North, it's almost as if the news media is
trying to will the water to rise and make more news then they have.

5 deaths being reported, though only two were directly storm related (getting hit by trees),
the others had medical issues and couldn't be reached in time for intervention.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

We can also have his assurance that no alligator will end in one of New York City's sewers, right?

:angel:

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

stillamarine

Just talked to my brother who is a corrections officer in north Florida near Jacksonville Spent 36 hours transferring inmates to other areas. Lots of wind and rain. But not too much damage. Areas out of power including his prison. His wife is a CO at the same prison and is stuck there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Flying Pig

Im on the gulf side... you wouldnt even know theres a hurricane.  Calm, breezy, humid like any other night.  Wild.

winterg

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 08, 2016, 01:57:12 AM
Im on the gulf side... you wouldnt even know theres a hurricane.  Calm, breezy, humid like any other night.  Wild.

Tampa Bay here.  We didn't even get any rain.  Just breezy and overcast.

stillamarine

I've lived through quite a few bad hurricanes. What's good about this one for Florida is that the eye didn't make landfall and it's to the east of the coast. So Florida is on the "calmer" side of the storm. Still dangerous as heck. I just need it to stay away from Miami on the swing back around. I'm flying to Cancun Tuesday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

seacamper

Quote from: THRAWN on October 08, 2016, 12:45:52 AM
OP, you seem to misunderstand the role of the commander. Eclipse and I have had our professional deltas but I think wr can agree on this: if you were in my group and acted like this, you would not be in my group for long. You need to take some time and understand the authority and responsibility of a commander. Once you understand and internalize those definitions, then you can question the authority of those appointed over you to give legal and enforcable orders.
Thrawn, your allegation that I ever questioned anyone appointed over me can not just be left out there. It is a point of professional pride that I hope Sar Dragon will overlook before he bans me from the site. No where in any of my posts did I advocate this. I simply asked a really simple question, and it was (Apparently the norm for CAP Talk) then indicated that I was questioning authority when that was not the case. If you have a grain of honor you will admit that. I was then told that trying to get hold of the directive and understanding it was somehow interfering.  I rebutted that.
Now that I am getting more active in CAP, I am trying to use this site, but what happens is a few loud voices seem to make false declarative statements and it is their way or the highway. Thrawn, you are guilty of this here. You are claiming you would kick me out of your Group for what? I think it is you that did not absorb the role of the commander at ACSC. Is that where VOCO came from? I never saw that in the courseware. I guess I am having a hard time adjusting from active/reserve duty because I keep running into roadblocks that simply should not be there. Just follow the regs. Just follow the actual chain of command, not the perceived chain of command. If you don't know something, look it up. If you can't find it, ask. If you are asked, don't assume the person asking the question is trying to skirt the rules. Don't be condescending. If you do act condescending expect to get it back, and don't hide behind a veil of experience that your sparring partner has as well.
SarDragon, one of the studies done at ACSC and SOS is on how institutions like the USAF or CAP or Walmart form cliques that kill corporations. You are a moderator of a website called CAP Talk. It is an institution. The point is, that a clique has formed here. We SHOULD be able to come here and have a fair exchange of information, not a one sided beat down. New folks should be treated with respect and not automatically thrown by the clique. I believe I escalated my tone proportionally to the accusations, but if I am in error, I have no problems apologizing.  Sorry to slip this one in, but I have too many years of integrity vested in the service and CAP to allow the final word to be an insinuation that I questioned authority. I questioned Eclipses opinion by citing regulation, but no ones authority in my actual chain of command.

abdsp51

And you have how many years experience in CAP?  How many as a CAP CC?  You need to chill out and heed the feedback you are being given.

seacamper

Quote from: abdsp51 on October 08, 2016, 03:26:10 AM
And you have how many years experience in CAP?  How many as a CAP CC?  You need to chill out and heed the feedback you are being given.
6/1. How about you? Hey, if you can refute my points, go ahead and do so. Noted. I will not be back. You guys win.

SarDragon

PM sent. Again, the measuring competition is done.

And so is the thread.

Click.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret