Leather Work Gloves-24 Hour Gear

Started by RazorbackPride, September 24, 2016, 04:52:56 PM

RazorbackPride

So the task guide specifies leather work gloves. Is it the intent to exclude all other work gloves? Could someone explain the reasoning if so?

Holding Pattern

The intent was probably to discourage incorrect gloves for heavy work. The reality is there are a lot more options today than when the task guide was written.

RazorbackPride

Yeah, it'd be nice to wear my black Mechanix, but rules are rules I suppose.

Jester

I carry black mechanix on my rig, and a cheap set of leather work gloves just to check the box.

RazorbackPride

Now that's what I call a CAP solution, thanks.

HGjunkie

Quote from: RazorbackPride on September 24, 2016, 06:58:38 PM
Now that's what I call a CAP solution, thanks.

I do it at the Academy for inspections as well - it's not unique to CAP in any way.  :-X
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

PHall

My leather telephone pole climbing gloves with the 6 inch gauntlets work for me.
Plenty tough and great protection too.

Flying Pig

Just about all I wear are the Walmart Mechanix gloves with the leather palms.  (I dont think its actual leather,... but oh well).  I even use them when Im scuba diving.  I use the ones with the padded knuckles. Best for punching gators and not roughing up my knuckles.  The pair I wear are bright yellow, but its for diving in the murky canals.  Gives me at least some chance of being able to see my hands.

https://www.zoro.com/mechanix-wear-anti-vibration-gloves-2xl-covert-blk-pr-mpt-55-012/i/G4387564/

You can definitely find them cheaper.  Although they arent "cheap gloves", you arent going to break the bank if you ruin them yet they are legit enough to do what you need.  Id imagine if you go all black, you would be OK.  I would say the regs are having a tough time keeping up with advances in gear.  Im all for regs and uniformity, but Im also not going to down grade my equipment because some CAP member might call me out on a SAR.

THRAWN

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Firm-Grip-Large-High-Dex-Glove-3-Pack-3101-96/202203753

Yellow for ES, red for yardwork, black on chilly winter days. Been using them for years and they seem to work.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Eclipse

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 07, 2016, 03:02:28 PMI would say the regs are having a tough time keeping up with advances in gear.  Im all for regs and uniformity, but Im also not going to down grade my equipment because some CAP member might call me out on a SAR.

When they are updated on a 25-year cycle, this tends to happen.

As written, anyone wearing ABUs or CFUs needs to have a set of mini GI-Joe BDUs in their pocket to be compliant.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: THRAWN on October 07, 2016, 03:28:13 PM
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Firm-Grip-Large-High-Dex-Glove-3-Pack-3101-96/202203753

Yellow for ES, red for yardwork, black on chilly winter days. Been using them for years and they seem to work.

These are actually a good choice and a great price, especially the yellow, unfortunately they don't make them in sizes that fit adults.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

I bought a pair of these for the bike, and wore them several years, very comfortable once worn in,
a little thick when new in regards to handling controls:
http://www.caimangloves.com/gloves/mechanics-multi-activity-gloves/genuine-leather-palm/2980-white-goat-grain-hi-vis-lime

I still have them, but there's a weak point on the lowers that tends to wear faster then the rest of the glove.

These are a good choice for cold-weather wear:
https://www.ergodyne.com/gloves/thermal-gloves/proflex-876wp-hi-vis-thermal-waterproof-gloves.html

The main issue I've had is they are very thick and I haven't used them enough to break them in.

These are the gloves I'm currently wearing on the bike:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Firm-Grip-XX-Large-Safety-Pro-Work-Gloves-2005XXL/204297443

They are inexpensive, come in big-boy sizes, and easy to get at your local Home Despot. A big plus is the
capacitive-screen-friendly finger tips which allow for using them with mobile devices, smart watches, etc.
I originally bought them just for teaching, but they were comfortable enough that I just started wearing them all
the time.

The down side is they won't probably stand up to long-term abuse - the gray palm material is rubbing off on my foam
grips, which aren't exactly sandpaper - could just be "new pile" coming off, only time will tell.  At $10 a pair I could afford
a couple and to replace them every season.

I'd say the third pair is probably a good CAP choice for most members, however HD has a whole rack of gloves that would work well
for both visibility and durability.

Anything similar to what Flying Pig linked to, especially with knuckle armor or pads isn't a bad idea either, I mean How can you be
an "operator" without "operator gloves"?  AMIRITE?

But you shouldn't be breaking the bank for them, especially as a newb.

The equipment list is a baseline - if you have something better, no SET who doesn't want to get a "response" should be making an
issue of it. In this case you can get a pair of ill-suited actual leather gloves for $2 at Walmart for the tasking if necessary.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

I carry Mechanix-brand gloves because they're cheap and easy to acquire. I also have a pair of cheap yard gloves that are heavier-duty for more involved things. Like sunglasses, I lose gloves too easily to justify spending much money on anything more expensive than what I find at the auto parts store.

Al Sayre

Quote from: Eclipse on October 07, 2016, 03:45:30 PM

These are actually a good choice and a great price, especially the yellow, unfortunately they don't make them in sizes that fit adults.

Actually they do, you just need to dig through the bin to find them.  I've got several pairs in XL and XXL...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

Quote from: Al Sayre on October 07, 2016, 08:09:06 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 07, 2016, 03:45:30 PM

Actually they do, you just need to dig through the bin to find them.  I've got several pairs in XL and XXL...

I would not impune the word of an Admiral, but I don't think I've ever seen anything bigger then an L in these parts.

Same goes for Menard's, they have several different types of high-viz work gloves, but never anything I can get my hand into.

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

Is this a joke about the size of my hands? I will keep an eye out for bigger sizes and send them to you.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Eclipse

Quote from: THRAWN on October 08, 2016, 12:56:37 AM
Is this a joke about the size of my hands?

Possibly, or possibly about the size of mine.

"That Others May Zoom"

USACAP

Leather is fire resistant.
Non-MILSPEC Mechanix are NOT no-melt/no-drip.
That's important to note.
If you, say, retrieve a hot canteen cup with a pair of Mechanix they will melt.
The MILSPEC variety can be found rather cheaply if you scan eBay and the other usual suspects.
Flight gloves with the cuff turned inside the palm are a nice and safe option too.

arajca

As a regular user of Mechanix M-Pact II glove who handles hot exhaust and welding, not all Mechanix gloves will melt. Exhaust is significantly hotter than a 'hot canteen cup'. Using standard leather work gloves provides no insulation. You may be able to quickly brush against exhaust pipe, but anything more and you'll be burned.

Flight gloves usually have thin leather palms/fingers. Some protection, but not much when work gloves are needed. VoE.