CAP Form 66

Started by Michael Mazanec, September 23, 2016, 01:31:37 AM

Michael Mazanec

Does anybody know if there is an updated version of the CAP Form 66 Cadet Master Record available online that is actually useable? The one on Nationals website is so small you can barley read it let along enter any information into it.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Eclipse

The form 66 is no longer used - all information should be recorded and tracked in eServices.

However with that said, the ones on the NHQ forms sites are full sized.

https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/F066_Inside_E94EBAA9BE0AB.pdf

https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/F066_Outside_F6B24C16DEFB8.pdf

"That Others May Zoom"

Michael Mazanec

Thank you for the info. Are units still required to keep paper files on members if everything is tracked in eservices?

My issue with the form 66 is the inside portion was formatted to be printed in 8.5x11 making it really small to read and enter info into, where the old forms that national discontinued printing were pretty much a printed file folder.

Eclipse

Quote from: mpmazanec on September 23, 2016, 01:58:14 AM
Thank you for the info. Are units still required to keep paper files on members if everything is tracked in eservices?

No, however this is a complex question that has to be agreed upon within your chain, and the answer
still varies by wing.

The F45 is still technically required by regulation, though it's useless from a practical a practical perspective.
We created an electronic version as a Google Doc and just maintain one for each member.

Hardcopy files are no longer required, my unit has zero paper, however there are records that still need to be kept
for the unit and personnel for things which are still not done online.  The list continues to get smaller, but there
are some decs, some PAs, and some history that one may or may not want to  / need to keep.

There is nothing of any membership-level consequence that isn't tracked online, however some wings
are still clinging to paper, both literally and figuratively.

I just reviewed the 66 again, and there isn't anything in there of consequence that isn't online, assuming duty
appointments and similar are done properly, you could coffee-house argue about stuff like CSRs, but the important stuff like promotions and
CPFT is all online and there's no need for the inside of the 66 at all.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

The online forms are intended to be printed on 11"x17" paper, double sided, or, with proper printer settings, each page on letter size paper. They should come out big enough to make proper entries.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on September 23, 2016, 05:57:45 AM
The online forms are intended to be printed on 11"x17" paper, double sided, or, with proper printer settings, each page on letter size paper. They should come out big enough to make proper entries.

And if you really want to go "Old School" print it out on 11" x 17" card stock.

Michael Mazanec

Quote from: PHall on September 23, 2016, 03:08:16 PM

Lol, I was going to go "old school" and copy my form 66 from when I was a cadet, but most of the current ranks are missing from it.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: mpmazanec on September 23, 2016, 03:11:25 PM

Lol, I was going to go "old school" and copy my form 66 from when I was a cadet, but most of the current ranks are missing from it.

Everything but my milestones is missing from e-services.

Michael Mazanec

Quote from: Капитан Хаткевич on September 23, 2016, 03:13:34 PM

I have the same issue. I left CAP to pursue my EMT and eServices was in the very beginning stages. I came back, and am thankful I have my paper file from back in the day because a lot of my info and history is missing from eServices. National did not even have record of me changing from cadet to senior member and my promotions to FO and TFO.

Майор Хаткевич

IIRC, FO grade isn't tracked in the system even now?

As to your change from Cadet to SM...are you sure the squadron did it right? There's paperwork that needs to be sent to national for those switches.

Michael Mazanec

Quote from: mpmazanec on September 23, 2016, 03:41:16 PM
Quote from: Капитан Хаткевич on September 23, 2016, 03:13:34 PM

I have the same issue. I left CAP to pursue my EMT and eServices was in the very beginning stages. I came back, and am thankful I have my paper file from back in the day because a lot of my info and history is missing from eServices. National did not even have record of me changing from cadet to senior member and my promotions to FO and TFO.

I am not too sure how it was done. I changed over to senior member back in 1999 a few months after getting my Mitchell award. I left the program on July of 2000. Recently came back in april and starting all over.

RogueLeader

Quote from: mpmazanec on September 23, 2016, 01:58:14 AM

Despite what Eclipse has said, the CAPF 45 and 66 are required forms to be used for each member as appropriate for membership category.  However, they are not required to be on paper. They are allowed to be online records.  See CAPR 10-2 Table 11, Rule 2.

Now to Eclipse's statement:
Quote from: Eclipse on September 23, 2016, 02:31:51 AM

No, however this is a complex question that has to be agreed upon within your chain, and the answer
still varies by wing.

The Wing IG team may not care and not award a nice discrepancy for it, but it is still required to be used.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Майор Хаткевич

Quotec. When electronic processes (i.e., eServices, WMIRS or other CAP-approved online databases) are developed that meet the documentation requirements of CAP directives, CAP units are authorized to use the electronic process as an alternative to the hard copy files. That information does not then need to be entered on other CAP hard copy formats. CAP units must be sure that the electronic process used meets all documentation requirements of the respective CAP directive before eliminating the use of hard copy records.

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R010_002_Chg_draft_comment_period_A28389BB702EE.pdf

Eclipse

Quote from: RogueLeader on September 23, 2016, 04:49:54 PM
The Wing IG team may not care and not award a nice discrepancy for it, but it is still required to be used.

The 45, yes, the 66, no.

Cite where it is "required".

CAPR 52-16, page 10 clearly indicates the preference for records is online.

"3-2. Managing Cadet Records.

a. Master Record. The unit establishes and maintains an electronic or hard copy master record for
each cadet upon joining CAP. Units will use the online Cadet Promotions Application (available through
eServices) for tracking Cadet Program accomplishments. Alternatively, the hard copy CAPF 66, Cadet
Master Record, may be used in lieu of the Cadet Promotions Application.
Units may augment the Cadet
Promotions Application or CAPF 66 with spreadsheets or databases to track the cadets' accomplishments.
b. Cadet Progression Records. Units use the Cadet Promotions Application in eServices to track

cadets' progression through the Cadet Program and approve promotions (or sustain cadets in grade). This
system is connected with the online achievement test system, so cadets' test scores automatically flow into
their individual records, and eServices automatically alerts units when a cadet fulfills promotion requirements.
Use of the eServices system negates the need for the "old" hard copy CAPF 52 series, Phase Certification
Forms, though units may continue to use those forms."

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on September 23, 2016, 05:30:37 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on September 23, 2016, 04:49:54 PM

The 45, yes, the 66, no.

Cite where it is "required".

CAPR 52-16, page 10 clearly indicates the preference for records is online.

"3-2. Managing Cadet Records.

a. Master Record. The unit establishes and maintains an electronic or hard copy master record for
each cadet upon joining CAP. Units will use the online Cadet Promotions Application (available through
eServices) for tracking Cadet Program accomplishments. Alternatively, the hard copy CAPF 66, Cadet
Master Record, may be used in lieu of the Cadet Promotions Application.
Units may augment the Cadet
Promotions Application or CAPF 66 with spreadsheets or databases to track the cadets' accomplishments.
b. Cadet Progression Records. Units use the Cadet Promotions Application in eServices to track

cadets' progression through the Cadet Program and approve promotions (or sustain cadets in grade). This
system is connected with the online achievement test system, so cadets' test scores automatically flow into
their individual records, and eServices automatically alerts units when a cadet fulfills promotion requirements.
Use of the eServices system negates the need for the "old" hard copy CAPF 52 series, Phase Certification
Forms, though units may continue to use those forms."

Was so wrapped up in SUI specifics, didn't even think to use 52-16. Ha.

On the other hand, same Non-issue arises with cadet applications. Online (cadet) applications do not have to be kept. Paper has to be kept. I don't allow paper applications, and I chose not to keep online application printout.  Boom. Less paper.

RogueLeader

Again, CAPR 10-2 Table 11, Rule 2:  under the Includes section:
CAP cadets (e.g., CAPFs 2, 2a, 7, 15, 31, 50-series, 52-series, 66, 77, 95, 120)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: RogueLeader on September 23, 2016, 05:59:06 PM
CAP cadets (e.g., CAPFs 2, 2a, 7, 15, 31, 50-series, 52-series, 66, 77, 95, 120)

In that case, again:

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R010_002_Chg_draft_comment_period_A28389BB702EE.pdf

Eclipse

10-2 predates 52-16, and as pointed out in this thread, twice, was updated in 2012 to add the verbiage that
units are authorized to replace hard-copy  documents with electronic equivalents.  Page 3, 7c

https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R010_002_06448D9F87459.pdf

"That Others May Zoom"

ßτε

Quote from: mpmazanec on September 23, 2016, 04:23:15 PM
I am not too sure how it was done. I changed over to senior member back in 1999 a few months after getting my Mitchell award. I left the program on July of 2000. Recently came back in april and starting all over.

The process was the same in 1999 as it is now. The member submits a complete CAPF 12 along with a complete fingerprint card to NHQ. Along the top of the form 12 write "Cadet to senior member. No charge."

Michael Mazanec

Quote from: ßτε on September 23, 2016, 06:35:46 PM
Quote from: mpmazanec on September 23, 2016, 04:23:15 PM

The process was the same in 1999 as it is now. The member submits a complete CAPF 12 along with a complete fingerprint card to NHQ. Along the top of the form 12 write "Cadet to senior member. No charge."
We did that, I even have a copy of the original application in my cadet file.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on September 23, 2016, 06:00:16 PM

In that case, again:

When it comes into effect, you would be correct, until then- what I posted is correct.

You can even have them electronic copies, that's fine, but you still have to have a form 66 "somehwere" for each cadet.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

Not to mention, E-Services does not yet allow for form 2a awards yet, and those awards are listed on the form 66.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Майор Хаткевич

The point is that you don't need to use a digital F66, which is a manual, paper, outdated, confusing format. Digital records allow for a lot more versatility.

Michael Mazanec

I really appreciate every ones input. Thank you all for it. By any chance, has anyone done or heard of some one taking the paper version of the 66 and setting it up the same way as the 45, where you don't need a special printer to do 11x17 paper in order to be able to print and read it properly? The 45 online is broken up into 4 8.5x11 pages and even has an optional download where you can type in the members info.

Eclipse

Quote from: RogueLeader on September 23, 2016, 07:20:06 PM
You can even have them electronic copies, that's fine, but you still have to have a form 66 "somehwere" for each cadet.

If you want to make you life harder, so be it.  The 66's haven't been required since NHQ stopped printing them.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

In that case, again:

When it comes into effect, you would be correct, until then- what I posted is correct.

The verbiage went into effect 4 years ago, as cited in this thread.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: mpmazanec on September 23, 2016, 07:41:29 PM
I really appreciate every ones input. Thank you all for it. By any chance, has anyone done or heard of some one taking the paper version of the 66 and setting it up the same way as the 45, where you don't need a special printer to do 11x17 paper in order to be able to print and read it properly? The 45 online is broken up into 4 8.5x11 pages and even has an optional download where you can type in the members info.

If you're going to persist in using a 66 for every cadet, your time would be better spent just filling in the electronic versions of them for each cadet,
vs. printing manual ones.

"That Others May Zoom"

Michael Mazanec

Quote from: Eclipse on September 23, 2016, 07:46:17 PM

If you're going to persist in using a 66 for every cadet, your time would be better spent just filling in the electronic versions of them for each cadet,
I am just looking at my options and trying to do what I can for our SUI tomorrow night. Our Commander stepped down and took a leave of absence 3 weeks ago, and he was also our admin and personal officer since it was a small senior staff in a Cadet Squadron before a bunch of us past members came back.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: mpmazanec on September 23, 2016, 07:55:17 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 23, 2016, 07:46:17 PM

I am just looking at my options and trying to do what I can for our SUI tomorrow night. Our Commander stepped down and took a leave of absence 3 weeks ago, and he was also our admin and personal officer since it was a small senior staff in a Cadet Squadron before a bunch of us past members came back.

PM sent.

Eclipse

Quote from: mpmazanec on September 23, 2016, 07:55:17 PMI am just looking at my options and trying to do what I can for our SUI tomorrow night. Our Commander stepped down and took a leave of absence 3 weeks ago, and he was also our admin and personal officer since it was a small senior staff in a Cadet Squadron before a bunch of us past members came back.

You can't fix a broken SUI overnight, nor should you try.

You'd be better off just to accept the discrepancy and then close it after rather then trying to cram like it's finals week.

SUIs are not supposed to be looked at like an exam, they are supposed to be a snapshot of operations to inform
the next higher HQ how you are doing. Clearly you have issues, especially with a CC who will be no be around,
just let it go and fix what you're told to fix.

On a side note, I have no idea how a CC can just up and leave with other people holding the bag, especially
with an SUI looming.  It's one thing to have a functional staff in place, it's another to just drop everything
and hope it comes out OK on the other side. 

Group or Wing should be heavily involved in this situation, your people should not be doing this alone, the night before.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

FWIW, as an aside, I have a CAPF 66 dated Sep 63, from when the "Sorenson program" was introduced.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Michael Mazanec

Quote from: Eclipse on September 23, 2016, 08:05:19 PM
Quote from: mpmazanec on September 23, 2016, 07:55:17 PMI am just looking at my options and trying to do what I can for our SUI tomorrow night. Our Commander stepped down and took a leave of absence 3 weeks ago, and he was also our admin and personal officer since it was a small senior staff in a Cadet Squadron before a bunch of us past members came back.

You can't fix a broken SUI overnight, nor should you try.

You'd be better off just to accept the discrepancy and then close it after rather then trying to cram like it's finals week.

SUIs are not supposed to be looked at like an exam, they are supposed to be a snapshot of operations to inform
the next higher HQ how you are doing. Clearly you have issues, especially with a CC who will be no be around,
just let it go and fix what you're told to fix.

On a side note, I have no idea how a CC can just up and leave with other people holding the bag, especially
with an SUI looming.  It's one thing to have a functional staff in place, it's another to just drop everything
and hope it comes out OK on the other side. 

Group or Wing should be heavily involved in this situation, your people should not be doing this alone, the night before.
Our CC has major medical issues causing him to leave rapidly like he did, but still, the info and records that he was in possession of should have been maintained better than they were.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SarDragon on September 23, 2016, 08:09:16 PM
FWIW, as an aside, I have a CAPF 66 dated Sep 63, from when the "Sorenson program" was introduced.

Can you take a picture/scan one for posterity/sharing? Would be great to take a look at one of those.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Eclipse on September 23, 2016, 07:43:28 PM

In that case, again:

The verbiage went into effect 4 years ago, as cited in this thread.

Acknowledged.  However, still not everything is not online via E-services, WIMRS, et al.  Thus, there are still sections of the Form 66 that are still needed required.  Never once in this thread said that the form 66's had to be printed out then scanned into a pdf.  What we do is have a "Blank" e-file that we copy, paste, rename with new members name, then edit those files for that member.  We have a senior File and a Cadet file with the relevant forms, subfolders as needed.  If the data is in e-services great, it doesn't get updated on those forms.  If it's not on E-Services or a CAP Database, it gets entered into their Dropbox file, which also takes care of the data backup.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SarDragon

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on September 23, 2016, 08:11:08 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on September 23, 2016, 08:09:16 PM

Can you take a picture/scan one for posterity/sharing? Would be great to take a look at one of those.

Done. This one is cleaned up in PS to get rid of the personal information. And it's only the front page. I didn't scan the rest.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Were the achievements assigned different ribbons before? For example, Wright Bros and Goddard are not sequential whatsoever.

SarDragon

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on September 23, 2016, 09:32:02 PM
Were the achievements assigned different ribbons before? For example, Wright Bros and Goddard are not sequential whatsoever.

I think so. Also, the achievements weren't linked to the grades. We ("enlisted" cadets) all took the same achievement at the same time, in a classroom environment The tests were paper, and scored at NHQ. When one book was finished, we moved on to the next one in the cycle. Ribbons were worn in the order earned, IIRC. Or not. That was 50 years ago.

I have no Curry, since I did my first achievement prior to the transition at my squadron.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on September 23, 2016, 10:35:03 PM
I have no Curry, since I did my first achievement prior to the transition at my squadron.

...and Curry was still alive...

"That Others May Zoom"

GaryVC

I think so. Also, the achievements weren't linked to the grades. We ("enlisted" cadets) all took the same achievement at the same time, in a classroom environment The tests were paper, and scored at NHQ. When one book was finished, we moved on to the next one in the cycle. Ribbons were worn in the order earned, IIRC. Or not. That was 50 years ago.

I had forgotten that there wasn't an order for the achievements. I have my form 66 dated 1966 and it says any achievement to be promoted. However, each achievement was tied to a specific ribbon. It made things easier when all the cadets who weren't officers were working on the same achievement. The ribbons that have carried over are similar to the ones now but without the cartoon characters on them.

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on September 23, 2016, 10:39:11 PM

...and Curry was still alive...

As were 14 of the 19 people who have had training ribbons named after them. There's only one left - Yeager.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Quote from: GaryVC on September 23, 2016, 10:50:28 PM

I had forgotten that there wasn't an order for the achievements. I have my form 66 dated 1966 and it says any achievement to be promoted. However, each achievement was tied to a specific ribbon. It made things easier when all the cadets who weren't officers were working on the same achievement. The ribbons that have carried over are similar to the ones now but without the cartoon characters on them.

Really? They have simple line drawings/silhouettes of aircraft, Eddie's "Hat in the ring", or letters, but I don't think they depict cartoon characters by a long shot.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Aren't they called cartoon ribbons as a slang term?

SarDragon

Occasionally, and I've used the term myself in the past. I have grown to dislike it, since I don't really see any resemblance to a typical cartoon. Like I said, they are (at least the cadet ribbons) simple line drawings/silhouettes of aircraft, Eddie's "Hat in the ring", or letters.  Go each his own, I guess.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on September 24, 2016, 03:38:41 AM

That and the fact that they were designed by the Walt Disney Studios. Who designed a lot of insignia for the military.

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on September 25, 2016, 12:16:05 AM

That and the fact that they were designed by the Walt Disney Studios. Who designed a lot of insignia for the military.

Where did you hear this? There's nothing in Preston Perenot's or Louisa Morse's publications that indicates this.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on September 25, 2016, 04:53:33 AM
Quote from: PHall on September 25, 2016, 12:16:05 AM

Where did you hear this? There's nothing in Preston Perenot's or Louisa Morse's publications that indicates this.

From some of our older members when I was a cadet in the 70's.

SarDragon

I pinged Frank Blazich, and he is not aware of any Disney involvement. He has a couple more sources to check, but at this point, we're talking myth here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

According to Jim Shaw, they were designed by Charles Woods, Bookstore employee.

Sent from my phone.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

THRAWN

Quote from: SarDragon on September 28, 2016, 07:03:20 PM
According to Jim Shaw, they were designed by Charles Woods, Bookstore employee.

Sent from my phone.

And with that, I found this....cool stuff.....any chance we make this a sticky topic? History of ribbons or something? It's come up a few times before....

CAP ribbons, medals share unique, colorful history
Col. Leonard A. Blascovich
CAP National Historian
CAP News May 1998
Though the designs, colors and manufacturers have changed over the course of history, one thing about Civil Air Patrol's distinctive ribbons and medals has remained constant - they continue to be worn proudly on the chests of CAP members.

All of CAP's ribbons, awards and decorations prior to 1964 were designed by the Heraldic Branch, Office of the Quartermaster General, Department of the Army (now located at Camron Station, Va.). The branch - better known as the Heraldry Institute - is responsible for designing all U.S. military ribbons and decorations.

CAP and the U.S. Army Air Force had used the institute's services since August 1943 exclusively to design its original ribbons, all without medals. The institute looked closely at an organizations history, programs and achievements - and all before they completed their research on a ribbon design.

Once the institute developed their designs and color choices they would conduct a review to see if there were any conflicts with other military organizations and foreign countries. After that, they submitted their designs, usually two or three, for review and selection by the CAP national commander and key members of the national headquarters staff. In 1950, the national executive board also became involved as an approving authority.

After a selection was made, the institute was responsible for the quality-control of the ribbon's manufacturing process.
This design service came to a screeching halted in 1964 when CAP revised its cadet and senior programs and submitted a request to the institute to design about 20 new ribbons. The institute said they did not have the time or the manpower to accomplish the job in the time requested.

National headquarters quickly enlisted the support of its art department, which was responsible for the illustration of CAP's textbooks. Charles Wood, the chief illustrator, was asked for suggestions. Before long, he was responsible for designing the new cadet and senior program ribbons.

Mr. Woods ribbon designs were soon approved by the NEB and Air Force. The ribbons were nonmilitary in design and very distinctive. And that is why our original ribbons - awarded prior to 1982 for the new cadet (Spaatz) and senior (Gill Robb Wilson) training programs - had pictures and letters for cadets, and swirls, "V," "S," loops and flying wedges for seniors. Former cadets fondly referred to these old awards as "Captain Crunch" ribbons, and many a senior called theirs the "Andy Warhol," "Cadillac Dog Food," "Flying Widgets," and, my favorite expression, "Cracker Jack Prizes."

When the Air Force approved the wearing of the black and white mess dress for CAP in July 1969, CAP then had a need for medal's. But they were medals that turned out to be round and had no stars, crosses or decorative shapes like the active-duty services.

The reason is based upon our role as defined by CAP's original 1948 Constitution and Bylaws. The shape of CAP medals are fixed by our charter and role - an organization that provides only humanitarian services, further compounded by the fact we must comply with the Air Force in regards to mess dress uniform regulations and requirements. (Remember, we have to have Air Force approval for CAP uniform devices.)

Many active duty service medals are earned for acts of heroism, superior service or valor in the face of action against an enemy or exceptional service situation - and they have unique shapes. The medals include the Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Force Cross, Silver Star, Bronze Star, Legion of Merit and Purple Heart. (Notice I left out the Medal of Honor. Since 1944, it has been considered more a pendant than a medal.)

Round medals are awarded in the military (and the CAP) for humanitarian actions, campaigns, good conduct or service. This is reflected in the Coast Guard Auxiliary as well. They are a humanitarian organization and have round medals on their mess dress uniform.

When medals for the CAP mess dress were first considered, it was difficult to use the current ribbons because they had distinctive picture designs and complex color patterns. It was deemed impractical to carry the ribbon design through and it would also made for a very unprofessional military appearance. So the ribbons were made for the medals with stripes and bands of color that reflected the original ribbon's color scheme. The majority of the medals reflect the design of the old ribbons. For example look at the old Rescue Find ribbon, and its miniature medal.

This clean uncluttered concept evolved into a plan submitted by Willard Kopf, then manager of the CAP Bookstore. He proposed a plan to phase in a new standard-sized ribbon similar to the ribbons now in use on the miniature medals. The designs would vary slightly from current ribbons, but the colors would remain the same. Starting in July 1982, as supplies dwindled on the old ribbons, the new designs started replacing them. The mandatory phase-in date for the new ribbons was Dec. 31, 1986.

In February 1991, the CAP Uniform committee recommended change in hexagon shape and color for the following medals: Distinguished (gold), Exceptional (silver), and Bronze meritorious service). The NEC later approved their recommendation.

One special note - the remaining unchanged insignia in CAP's inventory include: the cadet hat emblem - even though it transitioned from cloth to medal - has remained the same since 1942, and the senior service cap device which was approved in July 1953. All others have changed over the course of Air Force and CAP history.

Editor's note: For more information, Colonel Blascovich can be reached via e-mail at len_b@ix.netcom.com.

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

GaryVC

Since I have rejoined I have wondered why the encampment ribbon was changed. I can't see a problem with the old version.