Main Menu

CAP Wordpress Theme

Started by UWONGO2, September 12, 2016, 06:45:40 AM

UWONGO2

NHQ published an updated version of the wordpress theme after the national conference was over. It's located here (well actually, the link to the Dopbox folder is here):

https://www.capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/public_affairs/branding_resource_guide/index.cfm

Version 1 was apparently developed by a company called Global Reach (no idea if that's a volunteer member or if we paid for it). The update last month was done by a volunteer member in GLR.

It took quite a bit of tweaking to get version 1 to display properly. The update from last month completely broke everything, so we rolled back to 1.0. Heck, even a clean install of the updated theme didn't work. The amount of stuff that's hard-coded into the theme that points to MIWG and GLR doesn't make it all that helpful either.

So, has anyone successfully installed the Wordpress theme update from last month? It seems to be in use by GLR (not surprising obviously) and their theme is using a slide-show on the main page that I've been told we have to have. If anyone has the know-how on moving from the 1.0 theme to the GLR provided them (or just how to pull the slideshow portion out and roll it into the 1.0 theme), I'd love to hear from you.

CAPTShaw

I have a question and a comment.

Question: What is this slide show you say the website has to have?

Comment: Why use word press it is a BLOG software not a CMS Software?

Personally I use Concrete 5 on many web sites, it is a CMS Software

Capt David Shaw, CAP SQ 606
Founder
Greene County Composite Squadron 606 (12JAN17)

NIN

Quote from: CAPTShaw on October 15, 2016, 06:20:10 PM
I have a question and a comment.

Question: What is this slide show you say the website has to have?

Comment: Why use word press it is a BLOG software not a CMS Software?

Personally I use Concrete 5 on many web sites, it is a CMS Software
Wordpress is also a fairly capable CMS in its own right, having moved on from its blogging roots.

I think the reason people lean to Wordpress (vice other content management platforms) is the relative simplicty for "less technical people" and, because it is a popular system, there is a broad base of support, plugins, mods, etc available for it.  You can, and I have, setup a pretty decent squadron website in an afternoon if you have a good template or theme to start with.  It is also easy to train people how to use, and if Lt Smeckler, the guy who originally setup the website, dies or quits CAP, as long as you have the passwords you've got a fair-to-middling chance of continuing to keep it up.

I've done Drupal, Typo3 & Concrete-based sites. The spin up time is considerably longer if you're not already an expert in that system (longer even than Wordpress would be from 'zero knowledge'), finding someone else who might have some knowledge of how to manage and maintain one of those is a little harder, and customizing (or finding someone to customize for) is more difficult.

Sometimes, we need the 95% solution deployed widely vs the 100% solution in a small number of installations.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

etodd

Here is a new squadron website using the "look and feel" of the one in drop box above, and using WordPress ... BUT ... its been made 'responsive' that that its much easier to use and read on mobile devices.

Most Wordpress website themes are now responsive. I don't have a clue as to why the CAP one mentioned in the OP was not, but this version is:

http://www.tuscaloosacap.org

Its brand new, so sample text will be replaced soon.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Nick

I did txwgcap.org in WordPress. It worked fine. You can make it a very hefty CMS if you do some learning on custom post types. Even just using pages is fine for a simple CMS.

For anyone who says it's a blogging software... https://wordpress.org/showcase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

etodd

Quote from: McLarty on October 24, 2016, 02:38:29 PM
I did txwgcap.org in WordPress. It worked fine.

Very nice! And responsive so it works great with mobile devices, which is important these days.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Nick

That was about 4 years ago so it's definitely time for a facelift, but yeah it certainly serves its purpose. Just an example that WordPress is enough to carry a large wing website.

Texas Wing Staff Guy

Eclipse

Quote from: McLarty on October 24, 2016, 02:38:29 PM
For anyone who says it's a blogging software... https://wordpress.org/showcase

The Chicago Sun-Times?  You're not helping your case.

"That Others May Zoom"

Nick

Hey. I take what I can get. :D

Texas Wing Staff Guy