Speech Lenghts

Started by Raptor22, August 09, 2016, 05:01:36 PM

Raptor22

If the speeches for the Eaker Award and Armstrong Achievement are about a minute short or minute long, does this mean that the cadet automatically fails and needs to redo it?

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Raptor22 on August 09, 2016, 05:01:36 PM
If the speeches for the Eaker Award and Armstrong Achievement are about a minute short or minute long, does this mean that the cadet automatically fails and needs to redo it?

https://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/stripes_to_diamonds/eaker-award/

QuoteWrite a 300-500 word essay and present a 5 to 7 minute speech to the unit on one of the topics below

There is already a two minute window there. Are you saying that the speech is 4 or 8 minutes long?

Майор Хаткевич

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/Essay_and_Speech_Critique_5958F3F065BFE.pdf

On the Speech Critique, under Organization: Duration is within time allowances, which can (somehow) garner a +2, +1, or 0, and -1. It's pretty subjective, but based on that, it shouldn't be able to tank a cadet straight up.

Spam

Quote from: Капитан Хаткевич on August 09, 2016, 06:26:37 PM
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/Essay_and_Speech_Critique_5958F3F065BFE.pdf

On the Speech Critique, under Organization: Duration is within time allowances, which can (somehow) garner a +2, +1, or 0, and -1. It's pretty subjective, but based on that, it shouldn't be able to tank a cadet straight up.

Well said. Consider the whole-cadet approach here; if he/she has an otherwise fantastic speech which hits all the other requirements well and makes a cogent argument but is short, well, those other factors outweigh length.

(Brevity would, in any sane universe, be a POSITIVE factor for a "briefing", right?)

In all cases though, the program calls for the use of that form, and the accompanying form for the essay, to reduce subjectivity and to provide structured feedback as required.

V/R
Spam

Майор Хаткевич

Yep, Just not well thought out...some things on the list (like...length) simply don't fall under a +2 to -1 scale..

Within parameters, at high end? +1. Within parameters low end? 0. Short/long? -1. Even then...the whole thing should probably be revamped.

etodd

In my slow Southern drawl, I can easily stretch 300 words into 7 minutes, or I can kick it up a few notches and do 500 words in 5 minutes. Practice, practice, with a timer.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

raivo

Quote from: Spam on August 09, 2016, 08:25:21 PMWell said. Consider the whole-cadet approach here; if he/she has an otherwise fantastic speech which hits all the other requirements well and makes a cogent argument but is short, well, those other factors outweigh length.

(Brevity would, in any sane universe, be a POSITIVE factor for a "briefing", right?)

At OTS (and SOS, if I'm remembering right) busting your time on a briefing is an automatic fail... even if everything else was graded Outstanding.

Why this is, I have no idea.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

THRAWN

Quote from: raivo on August 10, 2016, 10:56:00 AM
Quote from: Spam on August 09, 2016, 08:25:21 PMWell said. Consider the whole-cadet approach here; if he/she has an otherwise fantastic speech which hits all the other requirements well and makes a cogent argument but is short, well, those other factors outweigh length.

At OTS (and SOS, if I'm remembering right) busting your time on a briefing is an automatic fail... even if everything else was graded Outstanding.

Because there are only small windows for each staff section to deliver their briefs to the commander. If you go over, it makes other sections go over and it just snowballs from there. Makes for an unhappy commander. It's good that officers are learning very early how to use good time management to deliver their info without a lot of fluff.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Spam

Quote from: THRAWN on August 10, 2016, 01:02:55 PM
Quote from: raivo on August 10, 2016, 10:56:00 AM

Because there are only small windows for each staff section to deliver their briefs to the commander. If you go over, it makes other sections go over and it just snowballs from there. Makes for an unhappy commander. It's good that officers are learning very early how to use good time management to deliver their info without a lot of fluff.

The name says it:  "BRIEFING". Brief. Short. Illustrative. Make your point. Questions? Get off stage.

I have seen a room of officers and engineers groan audibly when a guy gets up with a 172-slide engineering deck for his presentation (and begin to tune out). On the other hand, I'm prepping a weps design brief right now on how three platforms currently execute SAR map targeting differently, in 12 charts including the intro slide. The intent is to provide the info to make the point (informative brief, persuasive brief, etc.).

We've loaded the USAF "Tongue and Quill" pub onto the Cadet NCO and Cadet Officer training sites for our unit, and I urge every C/NCO and up to use them as guidance regularly. I still have my tattered copy from USAF SOS two decades ago, and use it. I am ok with someone going under time, as long as they answer the technical requirements adequately and meet the other speech review form requirements.

V/R
Spam

THRAWN

Exactly. Keep it tight and communicate the info. I remember reading something a long time ago that the entire DS/DS air campaign was briefed on 3 slides. If they can do it, no reason that anyone else can't.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

raivo

Quote from: THRAWN on August 10, 2016, 01:02:55 PMBecause there are only small windows for each staff section to deliver their briefs to the commander. If you go over, it makes other sections go over and it just snowballs from there. Makes for an unhappy commander. It's good that officers are learning very early how to use good time management to deliver their info without a lot of fluff.

This is true... my only gripe was that one specific thing being a pass/fail - literally one of the only pass/fail criteria for that particular part of the course. Also, you could bust time by going under the minimum - 4:59? Auto-fail. 9:01? Auto-fail. (My roommate squeaked by at 9 minutes flat, if I remember right... from what I heard, the grader looked at his watch, looked at the guy next to him and asked "What did you have?" "Sir, nine minutes and zero seconds." "Okay, we'll go with that.")

Not that four minutes is a difficult window to hit, but...

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."