Main Menu

Garmin Virb Camera Mounts

Started by etodd, August 05, 2016, 02:20:42 AM

Spaceman3750

I thought FEMA didn't want processed photos? Turn the GPS in the camera on, take the photos, and upload them to their online system. No watermarking or imprinting of the north arrow.

LSThiker

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on September 14, 2016, 03:21:31 AM
I thought FEMA didn't want processed photos? Turn the GPS in the camera on, take the photos, and upload them to their online system. No watermarking or imprinting of the north arrow.

If a group asks for unprocessed JPEGs, it really is an oxymoron.  JPEG photos are processed to predetermined color saturation, white balance, tone curve, sharpening, and color space and they are compressed.  Sorry, it always humors me when I hear people say that.  It is similar when I have people ask for a digital photo at 300 dpi.   

etodd

Correct for FEMA.  All the post-processing we did before using Robogeo to batch process files to add the North arrow, the lat/longs dates, locations etc. on the viewed imaged are not wanted now. Simply choose the desired images and use the FEMA uploading software. Much easier now.

The AP Mission Task Guide still mentions all of that, and new APs are I guess still expected to learn the Robogeo system, in case customers other than FEMA do desire certain data to be watermarked again.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

JeffDG

Quote from: LSThiker on September 14, 2016, 04:51:41 AM

If a group asks for unprocessed JPEGs, it really is an oxymoron.  JPEG photos are processed to predetermined color saturation, white balance, tone curve, sharpening, and color space and they are compressed.  Sorry, it always humors me when I hear people say that.  It is similar when I have people ask for a digital photo at 300 dpi.   
I like to mess with people who ask for unprocessed photos by sending in FITS format.

LSThiker

Quote from: JeffDG on September 14, 2016, 12:59:31 PM

I like to mess with people who ask for unprocessed photos by sending in FITS format.

I can open them up.  Well simple ones, not complex files :)

JeffDG

Quote from: LSThiker on September 14, 2016, 02:18:04 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on September 14, 2016, 12:59:31 PM

I can open them up.  Well simple ones, not complex files :)
Seeing as my minimum photographic aperture is 8", and I prefer to use 14" class aperture, I have lots of FITS sitting around!

How are you supposed to do photometry on JPEG?

LSThiker

Quote from: JeffDG on September 14, 2016, 02:54:21 PM
Seeing as my minimum photographic aperture is 8", and I prefer to use 14" class aperture, I have lots of FITS sitting around!

How are you supposed to do photometry on JPEG?

Nice.  The same method when people do densitometry on saturated image areas <ugh>.  :) 

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on September 14, 2016, 04:10:57 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on September 14, 2016, 02:54:21 PM
Seeing as my minimum photographic aperture is 8

Heh, you wish...
Well, I have worked with a 1.8m aperture a couple times, and the data there came out as FITS too.  It was a pain because you had to get there a couple hours before taking shots to hook up the liquid N2

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Fubar

Brit_in_CAP

SarDragon

OK, enough of the Ranger Corps crap. Clean it up or lock it up.

ETA: Just removed them. Nothing to see here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret