Main Menu

Garmin Virb Camera Mounts

Started by etodd, August 05, 2016, 02:20:42 AM

etodd

Has anyone started receiving any of the 'new' Garmin Virb Camera Airplane Mounts. We've (our area) been out of the vertical photography business for quite awhile now and no word is seen coming down the line for a new mount to get us back in training mode for mission readiness.

Other Wings have the new mounts yet?
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

SarDragon

Quote from: etodd on August 05, 2016, 02:20:42 AM
Has anyone started receiving any of the 'new' Garmin Virb Camera Airplane Mounts. We've (our area) been out of the vertical photography business for quite awhile now and no word is seen coming down the line for a new mount to get us back in training mode for mission readiness.

Other Wings have the new mounts yet?

We just had an AP exercise last weekend, and the Virbs came up in conversation. None of the movers and shakers here had seen any of the new mounts yet. We talked about them, and how they fit into the planes. Seems like a good design.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JeffDG

I would expect news on this Wednesday at the national Operations Conference.

NorCal

We have had strut mount Garmin Virb Cameras in CAWG for a while now.  I think it is just another tool for the toolbox.  They are much more efficient at doing lower resolution strip pictures than the traditional AP, and the training curve is much easier.  It only requires two people (MO and MP) to run a mission as apposed to having to find the elusive AP. 

etodd

Quote from: NorCal on September 09, 2016, 08:23:09 PM
We have had strut mount Garmin Virb Cameras in CAWG for a while now.

I have been begging to use any of the multiple strut type mounts I have used for years with my GoPros. I could easily adapt the Garmin to it .... but word coming down from above has forbidden us from using strut mounts. :(

Has CAWG received special permission from Hdq for your mounts ... or just doing it anyway? LOL

JeffDG

The "official" mount option was discussed at the national conference.

It's an inspection-plate replacement that will let us attach the camera out on the wingtip, but will be bolted in place.  Theyre working on getting mounts distributed to the Wings.

SarDragon

The CAWG strut mount was blessed from above, pending development of the "official" mount.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

etodd

Quote from: JeffDG on September 09, 2016, 10:00:33 PM
The "official" mount option was discussed at the national conference.

It's an inspection-plate replacement that will let us attach the camera out on the wingtip, but will be bolted in place.  Theyre working on getting mounts distributed to the Wings.

Does the new mount use something 'standard' like a RAM Mount ball, so that it can easily be changed in the future when the Virb goes away and a new camera takes its place? Or is it strictly custom for the Virb?

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

etodd

Quote from: SarDragon on September 10, 2016, 03:08:42 AM
Here's a picture source:

http://www.capnhq.gov/news/Documents/Garmin_Virb_Mount_Notice.pdf

Ah. So it 'does' use a GoPro mount. That will make it easily adaptable to configure two cameras on the plate. :)

etodd

Using this, one can then mount a GoPro right next to the Virb. Enabling live view from the GoPro for pilot's navigation while Virb is firing off photos. Perfect solution and increasing accuracy in results.

PHall

Quote from: etodd on September 10, 2016, 01:40:41 PM
Using this, one can then mount a GoPro right next to the Virb. Enabling live view from the GoPro for pilot's navigation while Virb is firing off photos. Perfect solution and increasing accuracy in results.

But, is it approved for use on CAP aircraft by the FAA and CAP?

DakRadz

Perhaps I'm wrong, but it's better to have better capabilities and ask for approval, rather than have a limited mount which is quickly outdated. So, this mount apparently has good potential even when the Virb is dead and gone. And the ability to add extras (though they may not be official or useable yet).

But I'm not in the sky (yet!), so correct me if I'm wrong.

1st Lt Raduenz

Al Sayre

If you make an unapproved modification to a certificated aircraft and something goes sideways,who do you think the hammer will fall on?
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

PHall

Quote from: Al Sayre on September 10, 2016, 07:41:44 PM
If you make an unapproved modification to a certificated aircraft and something goes sideways,who do you think the hammer will fall on?

Not to mention the fact that the pilot who flys that airplane puts their licence at risk too.
You sure you wanna do that?

DakRadz

I didn't mean ask for forgiveness. I meant it seems to have great future potential, all of which can be followed through with the proper channels.

1st Lt Raduenz

PHall

With the FAA it is MUCH better to ask permission then to beg forgiveness.

etodd

Quote from: PHall on September 10, 2016, 03:10:16 PM
Quote from: etodd on September 10, 2016, 01:40:41 PM

But, is it approved for use on CAP aircraft by the FAA and CAP?

Have to ask first ... and need the setup before asking. LOL

Once we have the actual CAP approved mounting plate installed (zzzzz) ..... then I'll mount all the gear to it and take lots of photos of the installation and write a detailed report as to how it can be used and how adding the second 'live view' camera will make vertical photography so much more accurate, effective and yes, even safer than some of the methods being tried and used when we first started using the Virb. Especially helpful when you need a 'one off' vertical photo where the subject needs to be perfectly centered in frame.  As it is now, its total guesswork with the Virb. Quite a few other uses as well.

As a side note, the actual GoPro mounts, cameras and fittings are much stronger than the more flimsy one the Vib 'snaps into'. So if the Virb has been approved, the GoPro 'should' be a no-brainer. But alas ... I do realize bureaucrats feel the need to add their input. Hence the months and years for approvals. ;)

Once Hdqs has all the info ... maybe someone will find the report on their desk and approve it.  LOL

(As another aside .... I have flown hundreds of hours of GoPro external mounts from suction to hard mounts ever since GoPros first arrived on the scene ... and have never had a problem. Non-CAP planes of course. Local FSDO folks don't see the big deal with a few ounces on the wing, under the wing, on fuselage, tail, etc.. A one gallon disparity in fuel from one wing to the other is many multiples of it. And the wind factor is negligible.)

Live2Learn

Quote from: etodd on September 11, 2016, 01:18:08 AM

I have flown hundreds of hours of GoPro external mounts from suction to hard mounts ever since GoPros first arrived on the scene ... and have never had a problem.

Reminds me of the guy who said he'd used baling wire on his supercharger for years and never had a problem ... that is, until he did.  Sorry, the logic of "I've never had a problem with..." doesn't hold a lot of water.

etodd

Quote from: Live2Learn on September 12, 2016, 12:05:31 AM

Reminds me of the guy who said he'd used baling wire on his supercharger for years and never had a problem ... that is, until he did.  Sorry, the logic of "I've never had a problem with..." doesn't hold a lot of water.

You mean like the 'approved by CAP' glue on Virb Mounts that were falling off planes?  ROTFL  Thanks for making my night. There are those who 'write' policy ... and then there are those in the field that actually get the job done. Reminds me of the old expression: "No inspection-ready unit has ever passed combat."

If it makes you feel better to think of me as 'that bailing wire guy' feel free to.

A pilot since 1976, a professional photographer since 1985 and aerial photography specifically since 2001. Its how I earn my living.

So when I joined CAP a year ago I thought I would be able to bring my experience, expertise and high quality gear to help with Missions. It was quite a downer at my first SAREX when I was told to stow away my nice bodies, mounts and $1800 lenses and told I would have to use the supplied consumer grade stuff because it was approved (code word for the consumer gear they could afford within the budget). Took me awhile to realize expectations were at a fixed level and I was not suppose to raise it. I was even told not to shoot RAW which is my normal setting, nor to use my laptop with LightRoom, etc. to really make the images pop.

Someone once told me that there was the 'real world' way of doing things, and then there was the 'CAP way'.  I've found that to be true. As an entrepreneur its hard to sit back sometimes and let the wheels of bureaucracy move at a snails pace ..... but I'm learning to accept it. I'm here for the long haul, but am fully understanding some of the retention issues that get mentioned.