Annual fireworks - saw just about everything tonight.

Started by Eclipse, July 05, 2016, 04:24:55 AM

Eclipse

So in addition to the annual fireworks tonight, we also had one person flying a UAV, presumably to photograph
the display.  Whatever it was, either it had a nice stabilization system, or a good pilot or both.  It was probably
about 300 feet up, and just about rock-steady in place the whole show until his battery died.  When it
came down, the operator was about 1/4 of a block away.

There was also some goof with a green laser who would illuminate the smoke clouds after smaller illegal
fireworks before the big display.  This guy was playing with fire, as at one point ORD was turning departures directly
overhead, definitely through the range of his laser.  I 1/2 expected to actually witness a plane being lit up, but thankfully
it appeared to not have happened.

The is a very busy area aviation-wise with ORD to the East and a smaller airport less then 6 miles to the West - not the kind of place to be playing
games with UAVs or lasers.

"That Others May Zoom"

Гугл переводчик

We had some random guy fly his crop-duster right through the show.
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

Luis R. Ramos

No one would guess it is illegal in New York City to set off fireworks by the amount set off. Two blocks down my street to the North, behind my block two more streets to the south. To the west about 10 blocks. And all around but not as intense as well. Only the rain we got about 24:00 stopped it.

The "barrage" started Saturday with irregular reports.

I would say I heard firearm echoes as well the entire weekend...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

NIN

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on July 05, 2016, 10:18:14 AM
I would say I heard firearm echoes as well the entire weekend...

When my wife & I lived in downtown Detroit, my in-laws came for a visit, it was around the end of June or so.

We're sitting out on the porch one evening just after dark (no AC in the whole house.. windows wide open, etc) enjoying the cool night air,and from a few blocks away we hear several booms and sharp cracks.

My father-in-law says "What was that?"

"Oh, probably just some guys getting their fireworks on a week or two early. Happens a lot around here.."

(it was definitely rifle and pistol fire, not fireworks)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Garibaldi

I know it's cliched to say this, but last night at 2130 sounded an awful lot like what I imagine a firefight sounds like. I live near 4 neighborhoods and was surrounded by loud pops, cracks, booms, lights, whistles...and finally sirens after things had calmed down some, from residual fires I would assume.

I don't like this anymore.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things