flight suit - olive drab vs sage green?

Started by spree610, July 01, 2016, 01:46:44 PM

Hawk200

Quote from: grunt82abn on July 27, 2016, 02:46:11 AM
Quote from: NIN on July 26, 2016, 06:48:51 PM
One of the guys in my unit has the suit on the left.

Its... weird.

its almost like someone made a knock-off of the regular USAF flight suit by listening to someone describe the original flight suit to him over the phone.

The cut of the suit is weird.
The chest pockets are weird.
The color is "off"
the velcro is "off"

It looks more like a Combat Vehicle Crew Suit that I used to wear when I was on a M109A6 Paladin.
That's what I thought initially, but something about it doesn't look right. Had a few of those that I found in a surplus store. They were like five bucks each, and they were handy working on the car.

That one just looks strange for some reason. Like it's a CVC suit, but not quite.

Mustang

Quote from: jeders on July 01, 2016, 02:40:03 PM
I just realized that the new 39-1 specifies O.D. green; I honestly don't remember if the old 39-1 specified OD as well. Regardless, it's wrong.

The CWU-27/P comes in several colors, but none of them are O.D. green. The standard is sage green and that's what you should get. You can find them on eBay for very little ($20-30). You can also find new CWU-27/P Style flightsuits for $50.00, note that these are not Nomex.

As an interesting note, while the Propper flight suit doesn't come in OD green, they do have an option for Freedom Green.

ETA: The MILSPEC for flight suits from 1979 does specify that the CWU-27/P will be sage green, USAF color shade No. 1565.
This error was pointed out to the uniform committee when the current 39-1 was in draft form, they opted to ignore my feedback.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "