Cadet Service Cap

Started by Spartan 92458-37017-EB, June 26, 2016, 11:05:58 PM

Spartan 92458-37017-EB

So my question is as a C/SMSgt right now, soon to be Chief, I've planned out and I expect to achieve my Mitchell by the end of the year. I've enjoyed wearing the flight cap but it has gotten boring to wear and I also just like the overall appeal of the service cap. I know officers are only allowed to wear them but would it seem like I'm jumping the gun if I request permission to wear thr service cap as a fresh silver circle? It seems that way to me but I wanna hear what the forum and hopefully other cadet officers might have to say in the topic. I'm ok with wearing the flight cap but I would much rather wear a service cap over the flight cap. What do you guys? Any additional advice us welcomed on prepping for my Mitchell.

DakRadz

Before I say anything negative, I absolutely loved wearing these in NJROTC and CAP as a cadet. And I have mine, which I will occasionally wear even now. They look sharp, IMHO.
However..

Cons:
Expensive
Another thing to keep track of or carry around (pound{s} not ounces)
Bulky
Tend to give me a headache if not very well fitted
HOT.

Pros:
Distinguished yet authorized- something different
As I mentioned, I think it looks sharp
Pretty much it.

Do you need special authorization to wear these? Already in the manual, so long as you are a cadet officer.

MSG Mac

A flight cap costs about 8-10 dollars. The service  cap $30-35 and you will only be able to wear the Service Cap for more formal occasions if at all.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 27, 2016, 02:12:54 AM
A flight cap costs about 8-10 dollars. The service  cap $30-35 and you will only be able to wear the Service Cap for more formal occasions if at all.

http://www.militaryclothing.com/Genuine-U-S-Air-Force-Service-Cap.aspx?id=19742-USAF-SVCCAP-7.375&gclid=CjwKEAjw-r27BRCzsNyzrMrM-j0SJACp2TiBO_rqfQYfEi8S_1sJ4gA6b2cotQIy3XoHHv9TR1dipRoCyPTw_wcB&ad=75080675429

There's no reason you can't wear this to every meeting in blues if you want.

"That Others May Zoom"

DakRadz

Quote from: Eclipse on June 27, 2016, 02:16:34 AM

Actually, there is. A 7 1/2 head.

Seriously, though, I meant to post this- glad you did for his sake!

jdh

http://www.militaryclothing.com/Genuine-U-S-Air-Force-Service-Cap.aspx?id=19742-USAF-SVCCAP-7.375&gclid=CjwKEAjw-r27BRCzsNyzrMrM-j0SJACp2TiBO_rqfQYfEi8S_1sJ4gA6b2cotQIy3XoHHv9TR1dipRoCyPTw_wcB&ad=75080675429

TX Wing has a supplement that says cadet officers can only wear it in service dress.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: jdh on June 27, 2016, 10:04:39 AM

TX Wing has a supplement that says cadet officers can only wear it in service dress.

Which makes some sense. Bus driver cap in the shirt always looks odd. But how often do people in TXWG get to wear Service Dress outside?

Ozzy

Also per CAPM 39-1 4.1.5.11:
Only senior member officers, NCOs, and cadet officers may wear the service cap. Cadet airmen and NCOs are specifically not authorized to wear the service cap.

The only exception is for Honor Guard per 9.6.4.9
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

arajca

Quote from: jdh on June 27, 2016, 10:04:39 AM

Which is entirely irrelevant as the OP is from ILWG.

Spartan 92458-37017-EB

Quote from: Ozzy on June 27, 2016, 02:55:53 PM
Only senior member officers, NCOs, and cadet officers may wear the service cap. Cadet airmen and NCOs are specifically not authorized to wear the service cap.

I know but I'm speaking in terms if once I receive commission, then I'd like to get a service cap to wear instead of my normal flight cap if possible

jeders

Quote from: That One Cadet on June 27, 2016, 04:12:39 PM
Quote from: Ozzy on June 27, 2016, 02:55:53 PM

I know but I'm speaking in terms if once I receive commission become a cadet officer, then I'd like to get a service cap to wear instead of my normal flight cap if possible

FTFY.

You are allowed to wear the service cap the second you get your pips. If that's something you really want to do, then feel free to do so. But keep in mind that the service cap is not all it's cracked up to be. It's uncomfortable and can be a pain to lug around; and if you leave it unattended, then shenanigans may be expected.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

kwe1009

Besides all of the negatives that everyone here has already expressed, this is a uniform item that very few in the Air Force even own, much less wear.  It is extraordinarily rare to see an Air Force member wear the service cap.  It actually stopped being an issued item a long time ago. 

The flight cap is the easiest to maintain by far.  Try tucking a service cap in your belt!

SarDragon

Quote from: kwe1009 on June 27, 2016, 10:53:28 PM
Besides all of the negatives that everyone here has already expressed, this is a uniform item that very few in the Air Force even own, much less wear.  It is extraordinarily rare to see an Air Force member wear the service cap.  It actually stopped being an issued item a long time ago. 

The flight cap is the easiest to maintain by far.  Try tucking a service cap in your belt!

Word!

I was in the Navy at a time when everyone wore that style cap, and it was a real PITA. You can keep a white hat with you, but there are many times when you leave the wheel hat on a table or rack outside the room you are actually meeting in, leaving it open to pranks, unintended swaps, or even theft. Being without your hat is no fun, especially in a ceremonial environment.

Bottom line - stick with the flight cap. The wheel cap isn't kool enough to justify the expense.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Abby.L

Quote from: SarDragon on June 28, 2016, 12:26:29 AM

Word!

I was in the Navy at a time when everyone wore that style cap, and it was a real PITA. You can keep a white hat with you, but there are many times when you leave the wheel hat on a table or rack outside the room you are actually meeting in, leaving it open to pranks, unintended swaps, or even theft. Being without your hat is no fun, especially in a ceremonial environment.

Bottom line - stick with the flight cap. The wheel cap isn't kool enough to justify the expense.

But really, is it our place to tell him to stick with the flight cap? We're just a bunch of people on the internet. If he wants to wear the service cap, and he wears it according to regulation(Not before pips! Also check wing supplements) then that's his initiative. Who knows, he might find that the sort of things that happen to it, cons, etc, outweigh the benefits, then go back to exclusively wearing the cap.

But really, to speak positively about the bus driver cap, I actually find that it is a very sharp piece if worn properly, and I have one for both AF and CAP(I mean, I just have to swap out the device... So). It was also one of the best perks about being a cadet officer. I'd say to get one, assuming the price isn't too burdening, and enjoy the hell out of it.  8)
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

SarDragon

When the wheel cap was common, I think it had more kool factor. Today, to me, it screams, "Look at me, look at me!"

I wore one when I first became a senior member, and it lasted about six months, before I gave it up as more of an annoyance than a functional piece of headgear.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Ed DeSocio

Congratulations on your achievement!  Like you, I bought (well, my parents bought) my service cap in anticipation of earning my Mitchell.  I couldn't wait to get that thing on my head!  It's very distinctive and really dresses-up the service uniform.  But, I quickly discovered that being a cadet officer was more about function than form.  I distinctly remember beginning to see the service cap as a impractical contrivance.  It started getting in the way, and I wore it less often.  After another promotion or two, my flight cap with grade insignia became the most appropriate headgear. 

But, all sage wisdom aside, esprit de corps is a big part of the cadet program!  As a squadron commander, I seem to recall that each new cadet officer wore a service cap from time to time.  If you want one, and local policy permits, get one and wear it proudly!

Ed DeSocio
Spaatz #594

THRAWN

I to a CG one when I became a lieutenant. Wore it for some photos and it ended up in my closet. I got the fancier one when I made major. Wore it for some photos and it ended up in my closet. Wore 3 or 4 flight caps to threads. My service caps will live to see the next 2 USAF service uni combos...

Want to spend money? Buy a good set of boots or bug out bag.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

AirAux

Ah yes, the flight cap.  While serving at Ft. Sam Houston in the Medical Corps, I was wearing medical whites and my flight cap.  We used to tuck them in the belt, often in the back.  I visited the base library and during my search through the stacks, I felt the need to visit the restroom.  I sat down and took care of business.  When I stood up to flush, I noticed a flight cap in the toilet bowl under the toilet paper, etc.  I chuckled thinking of some poor sap having to walk around the base without his cap.  I suddenly realized the situation and made post haste to the closest clothing sales store to procure a new flight cap, expecting to be busted the whole time for being out in uniform without head gear...  Try doing that with a service cap...

THRAWN

Of all the caps, hats, berets, helmets and beanies I've worn, none have ever ended up in the pool after dropping the kids off. That's some comedy right there....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Luis R. Ramos

On the other hand, there were tales of using the old World War II, Korea, and Vietnam M1 helmet as a toilet in the foxhole, and working well...

:P

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Chappie

Of all the uniform accessories we have in CAP, the service cap -- at least for me -- is rarely worn.  I can think of maybe 5 times a year where I need to wear the "farts and darts" -- and then only with the service jacket.   Other than that, the flight cap is worn the most and the service cap sits in a box stored in the closet.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

AlphaSigOU

Only Ma Blue 0-4s (major) and higher are required to purchase the bus driver cap (with farts and darts). Females may now wear the male service cap and flight cap instead of the female versions.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

LATORRECA

Its your right as cadet officer. RHP however, make sure it doesn't interfere with your wing, group, and/or squadron uniform policy. Some wings and lower organization may put a uniformity policy on what head gear you can use according to the occasion. I prefer the flight caps.
     Also, before you commit yourself to buy it, make sure you pass the Mitchell test. Good luck with you test and stay motivated.