Main Menu

ef johnson 5300

Started by RMW14, June 12, 2016, 02:11:31 PM

RMW14

I have been issued an EF Johnson 5300 for my vehicle and I am running into space issues. I have an FJ Cruiser and my space in or near the center console is very limited. I know there are remote mount radio heads for HAM radios and other EF Johnson style radios ( ebay also lists remote mounts for the 5300 series) but I wasn't sure if anything is compatable with our issued radios?
Ryan Weir Capt
Emergency Services Officer Jesse Jones Composite Squadron 304
Expert Ranger #274
NASAR SARTECH 1 Lead Evaluator/ WEMT
CD PAWG Central
AOBD,GBD,GTL, GTM1, UDF, MO, MS, MRO, AP

arajca

There are EFJ 5300 remote heads available on EBay, but most do not include all the cables. To install it, you'll need to open the case and connect a cable to the internal connector (it is labeled). It comes out of the case next to the accessory cable (the one with the flat rectangular plug). You could also see if your wing DC has any remote head kits.

Eclipse

I was looking at the FJ Cruiser interior.  Will it fit in the glovebox?  That's where mine lived in my Explorer.

"That Others May Zoom"

RMW14

Wing doesn't have any remote heads ( I asked when I picked the radio up). Glove box may work. I have to see how the radio will fit this afternoon. Edit: Glove box is too shallow for the radio.
Ryan Weir Capt
Expert Ranger #274
CD PAWG Central

Eclipse

Quote from: RMW14 on June 12, 2016, 04:55:55 PM
Wing doesn't have any remote heads ( I asked when I picked the radio up). Glove box may work. I have to see how the radio will fit this afternoon. Edit: Glove box is too shallow for the radio.

Mine was too shallow for the radio to be in front-forwards, so I had mine in sideways, and in my case the pocket was removable, so the radio was basically hinging on just the door.

"That Others May Zoom"

RMW14

I have some room on the back of the center console but I will lost my ability to fold the back seats down (the bottom cushions fold front and the seat backs drop into their place). I will have to play around with places to see what works.
Ryan Weir Capt
Expert Ranger #274
CD PAWG Central

ee1993

The current standard CAP mobile is the EF Johnson 5317.  The remote head version is the 5318.  It can be used with either a remote head or the handheld controller (HHC).  I have a 5318 with HCC installed din my car.  The 5328 is the 100W version. You should not attempt to modify a CAP owned radio for remote head.  The difficult component to find on EBay is the remote cable.  When these are removed form service, apparently the cables are left in place n the vehicle.

RMW14

I was hoping there was a plug and play type thing for the issued radio. I still have to figure out a mounting solution and what antenna I want to use.
Ryan Weir Capt
Expert Ranger #274
CD PAWG Central

JayCraswell

I don't know if it is kosher to list equipment or services on this site but on the off chance its ok here it is.

1st on Remote Head Radios:

I refurb (Non CAP Asset) 5318s (The remote head version) and can make up cables for these to the users specifications.   I've also got microphones, Desk, Hand.   Power Cables, "Loop back" cables.   The radios are cleaned up tested and if needed are retuned.   I replace the EF Johnson Hirose connector for a mate for the 15 Pin D on the radio "body"   This way you can plug the remote head directly.   One example might be where you would want to pull the radio out of your car and set it up at City Hall or a firestation.   You don't want to need 15 feet of cable that will no doubt be difficult to pull from your car.  If you have a radio and need a cable I've been modifying the control head to sport a 15 pin D connector so it can be plugged directly into the radio body.   The custom cables are whatever length you like (Within reason) but instead of a 15 D on one end and a weirdo EF johnson connector on the other its 15 Pin Ds on both ends.

I've got a new project that just came out.  I'm just coming out of a minor tune up in the hospital so things are in slow motion for the next week or so but if your curious my latest project is a programer for the 53xx radio.   I think its the best one out there aside from the original EF Johnson box and mine are only $50.00  postage paid.  I understand that people are having problems with programming radios what with Baud Rates, phases of the moon etc.   I think my design solves a lot of the mystery. http://www.ebay.com/itm/EF-JOHNSON-5300-PROGRAMER-CABLE-5317-5318-/112305034477?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT   This is what I have on hand right now.  The first 50 were gone in a couple days.  If you go to the facebook and look up refurbatron you can read a little more on the day to day on this project.  *Note I also refurbish 3D (Real no goggles or glasses needed) Android Phones and do contract design of hardware and software.   *Or will when I'm not needing the pain meds.

I also repair, refurb and retune 51xx 53xx 54xx newer radios.   I'm always in the market for surplus non functional radios.  If you have a problem with anything I sell I will repair, replace or refund your money.