Main Menu

Unique Comm Problem

Started by sdwardwell, June 10, 2016, 06:26:21 PM

sdwardwell

I could really use some advice here. I live in a mountain valley in Utah, and the nearest repeaters are both behind mountain ranges. My squadron meets in Provo, which is about an hour 1/2 away, so I can only go twice a month to save on gas. But, that causes me to miss out on a lot, including our weekly net. I'm in a bit of a Catch 22 here. I can't advance in my SQTRs for MRO without getting some communications experience past ICUT, but because of where I live, there's no way I can really get that experience.

So, my question is if anyone can recommend maybe something with a bit more power than one of our squadron radios that's CAP compatible - something where I can just run up an antenna at my house. I know it will be out of pocket, but at they say, CAP = Come And Pay.

Thanks!

Eclipse

What are you expecting to be on the net?

Checking in on meeting nights should be sufficient for PD work.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

Do you have access to an HF go kit? Might be more practical to check into an HF net than a VHF.

radioguy

You don't mention whether your target radio net is HF or VHF.  Unfortunately, much like they did for the pioneers, large mountains tend to be an insurmountable obstacle for radio waves as well... especially at line-of-sight frequencies like VHF.  I wouldn't expect that a residential antenna would be able to overcome the effects of huge masses of granite.

As was mentioned earlier, an HF radio coupled with an NVIS antenna might be your best bet.  If you are considering a purchase, be aware that only certain radio models are approved for CAP use.  This is true for both HF and VHF equipment.

The best advice may be to first check with your squadron communications officer as to what your best options might be.

Turbine 33

Fire up some emails with your ES Officer and Comms Officer. See what can be done to put together a COMMEX or schedule an activity for folks to work on Communications.

We do them all the time in Virginia.
1st Lieutenant
Group 1 ES Ofifcer
Communications Officer
Jefferson 55

Jefferson 133