8 Plane Wrecks That Have Become Their Own Memorials

Started by Eclipse, May 06, 2016, 03:42:56 PM

stillamarine

That was pretty cool but I was surprised the one in the desert wasn't there. UTS Flight 772
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Cindi

Thanks for posting that, its great they have a plaque there. Here is a plaque from Mount Polosi in southwestern Nevada:

Here is  a picture of a woman handling pieces of the wreckage. I found this picture deeply disturbing.

The Transcontinental and Western Air Douglas DST (Douglas Sleeper Transport) that Carole Lombard and others aboard almost cleared the mountain, but not quite. It happened on January 16, 1942 and it was a New Moon. It was also a New Moon on November 8, 2007 when a single-engine CAP Cessna 182 Skylane (N881CP) crashed into Mount Potosi southwest of Las Vegas. Aboard were the Nevada Wing Commander of the Civil Air Patrol, Colonel Dion E. DeCamp and the Pacific Region Director of Operations and a former national vice commander, Colonel Edwin W. Lewis Jr. I wish there was a plaque at the N881CP crash site to honor these gentlemen. I had a chance to talk to Colonel DeCamp at an airshow in Reno about his motorcycle vacation to New Zealand. Very cool guy.

SarDragon

Two CAP pilots died in a crash about 2 miles from Lombard's crash site, in November 2007. Potosi has claimed many lives over the years.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

sardak

QuoteTwo CAP pilots died in a crash about 2 miles from Lombard's crash site, in November 2007. Potosi has claimed many lives over the years.
As described in detail in the post right before yours.

Mike

SarDragon

Oops. Didn't read the whole post. 20 lashes with a dead squid.  :-[
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on May 28, 2016, 05:23:39 AM
Oops. Didn't read the whole post. 20 lashes with a dead squid.  :-[