NESA Kitchen Staff: Tell us your stories.

Started by Yochanan, April 22, 2016, 01:57:55 PM

Yochanan

Tell the less experienced of your own experiences.

Storm Chaser

Do your job well, follow instructions, and don't get in trouble. Usually things go well when they keep you busy, but when you end up with too much time in your hands, it's easy to find not so smart things to do to fill that time.

Yochanan

I don't think you really understand the point of me posting this.

Storm Chaser

Then maybe you should be a little more clear. ;)

husker

Michael Long, Lt Col CAP
Deputy Director, National Emergency Services Academy
nesa.cap.gov
mlong (at) nesa.cap.gov

MSG Mac

NESA uses volunteers to staff the dining hall. Often those volunteers trade sweat labor for tuition at one or more of the courses. He wants volunteers to tell of their experiences as Dining hall volunteers to recruit new volunteers by telling them the hours are great, lots of leisure time between meals, and that it's not slave labor. :)
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Yochanan

Perhaps I should have posted this under Tall Tales?

thebeggerpie

Quote from: MSG Mac on April 23, 2016, 02:15:15 AM
NESA uses volunteers to staff the dining hall. Often those volunteers trade sweat labor for tuition at one or more of the courses. He wants volunteers to tell of their experiences as Dining hall volunteers to recruit new volunteers by telling them the hours are great, lots of leisure time between meals, and that it's not slave labor. :)

Hours are fantastic! I slept maybe five hours a night, if I was lucky. Breaks and leisure time were given every three hours for thirty seconds before we had to get back at it! It's not slave labor! It's just Enforced Volunteer Service! That's it!

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Yochanan on April 24, 2016, 01:24:49 PM
Perhaps I should have posted this under Tall Tales?

If you wanted to hear funny stories, then you should've asked for those in your initial post. Your post wasn't clear enough on what you wanted.

husker

I still do have some kitchen scholarships remaining.  If anyone would like to attend NESA at no cost, we do provide one session free in exchange for working in the kitchen for the other session.  Probably 100 members or so over the years have taken advantage of this opportunity since we started offering this scholarship.  This offer is good for both senior and cadet members.

The kitchen work is not bad.  Well, I don't think the work is bad - though the older I get I do perceive a growing disparity between an adult's idea and a normal teenager's idea of work ethic.  One works an 8 hour shift (either morning or afternoon/evening) doing normal "kitchen" duties - helping with food, serving, cleaning, etc.  During the "off time," we allow some of the kitchen workers to help out in communication, or in the field as "victims."  Kitchen workers do get far more time off than a normal staff billet.

Michael Long, Lt Col CAP
Deputy Director, National Emergency Services Academy
nesa.cap.gov
mlong (at) nesa.cap.gov

Holding Pattern

I will have to check on that next year when my schedule is more available.

raivo

Ehh, I got what you meant.

Unfortunately, it's been about 14 years since I slaved away in the galleys of NESA, so any stories have been long forgotten...

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."