Cadet Officer Service Cap request questions

Started by Spartan 92458-37017-EB, April 06, 2016, 02:54:47 PM

Spartan 92458-37017-EB

I'm not currently an officer but I will be by the end of the year hopefully but I've wondered why and how a few cadet officers I've seen received their service cap. I've checked in 39-1 and it only says that cadet officers can get authorization to wear the service cap through their respective wing commander. How do cadets go about receiving authorization for wear, at what rank is it formally authorized, how do we receive it after authorization and what can we do if permission is denied?

jeders

Quote from: That One Cadet on April 06, 2016, 02:54:47 PM
I'm not currently an officer but I will be by the end of the year hopefully but I've wondered why and how a few cadet officers I've seen received their service cap. I've checked in 39-1 and it only says that cadet officers can get authorization to wear the service cap through their respective wing commander. How do cadets go about receiving authorization for wear, at what rank is it formally authorized, how do we receive it after authorization and what can we do if permission is denied?

Authorization is granted by the wing commander; check to see if your wing has a supplement to 39-1 as it should be in there or some other written guidance.

As for how you go about getting one, eBay, Army surplus stores, or if you're near an Air Force base you can got to clothing sales.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

abdsp51

They removed the requirement for the Wing CC to authorize the Service CAP when 39-1 was revised and published Jun 14. 

jeders

Quote from: abdsp51 on April 06, 2016, 03:05:45 PM
They removed the requirement for the Wing CC to authorize the Service CAP when 39-1 was revised and published Jun 14.

I must have missed that.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

lordmonar

Ask your commander.  He will tell you what his policy is.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Toth

Around here cadets are generally authorized to wear the service cap as soon as they get their Billy Mitchell, although that may not be the case in other areas. When in doubt, use your chain to ask your cadet command staff, if they don't know they will send it to your senior command staff and they will get an answer for you.
SM Toth Mendius, CAP
C/CC RMR-MT-053 (ret.), RMR Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)
Mitchell #65174, Earhart #17361
GES, ♦ICUT, ♦FLM, GTM3, UDF, SET, MS, MRO, EMT, *GTM2

kwe1009

CAPM 39-1 authorizes the wear of the service cap for everyone (male and female) except cadet airman and NCOs.  I personally wouldn't waste the money on it as the Air Force rarely wears it and hasn't been issued to new troop for over 10 years.  But if you really want one, go for it. 

RogueLeader

If the answer is no, there is no recourse.  You get to wear the flight cap. As one that does have a service cap, they are a pain. Therefore, it only gets worn infrequently.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 06, 2016, 10:04:34 PM
If the answer is no, there is no recourse.  You get to wear the flight cap. As one that does have a service cap, they are a pain. Therefore, it only gets worn infrequently.

They're nice in the rain...

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: Eclipse on April 06, 2016, 10:12:26 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on April 06, 2016, 10:04:34 PM

They're nice in the rain...

An umbrella is nicer.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on April 07, 2016, 02:20:57 AM
Someone PLEASE submit that to the NUC!

Submit?  It's already approved with the ABUs as the required headgear!

Seriously. someone should actually read proposals before signing them!

Too late now!

"That Others May Zoom"