Main Menu

Service coat

Started by stillamarine, March 27, 2016, 04:24:13 PM

stillamarine

So I managed to score a service coat at a surplus store yesterday that fit perfect. I need to put the blue band on the sleeves. What shade is it or does anyone know where to find it?

Also I know ribbons are required on service coats. I have 4 CAP ribbons. I was going to add my military awards but I have a decent rack. Can I just wear a couple of the Military on top of my CAP? I may just decide to wear my CAP but just curious. I was thinking just a couple of my personal awards not the service awards.

Thanks in advance. Off to search for a service cover!
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

arajca

What style of Service coat? Seniors are not authorized to wear the old, 4 pocket version.

Vanguard carries the sleeve braid. It's the same as the AF uses.

You can wear military ribbons above your CAP ribbons. How many is up to you.

stillamarine

It's the new style. Just needs the sleeves taken up a little bit I have TRex arms. I looked on the CAP side and didn't think to look on the AF side til I closed my laptop. Thanks!

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

PHall

And you don't "need" a Service Cap either. The flight cap is the "normal" headgear for Service Dress.
But the Service Cap does look better at more "formal" events such as funerals.

stillamarine

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

RogueLeader

Sleave braid is shade 1095
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

AlphaSigOU

There are two Shade 1095 sleeve braids: the 1/2" wide is for officers, while the 1-1/2" wide braid is for generals. The braid is placed 3 inches from both finished sleeves. Sleeve braid goes all the way around the sleeve.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Garibaldi

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on March 28, 2016, 08:45:35 PM
There are two Shade 1095 sleeve braids: the 1/2" wide is for officers, while the 1-1/2" wide braid is for generals. The braid is placed 3 inches from both finished sleeves. Sleeve braid goes all the way around the sleeve.

The way seamstresses do it is to split the sleeve seam and sew it in, so there are no edges showing.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Nascar Jack

On the topic of braids, I thought cadets were not allowed to wear the braid. Is that still true?

stillamarine

Quote from: CadetOfTheEon on April 05, 2016, 04:15:07 PM
On the topic of braids, I thought cadets were not allowed to wear the braid. Is that still true?

I haven't been a cadet in 25 years.

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

PHall

Well, there is the stock answer, "what does the 39-1 say". But I've been told that's mean. >:D

The answer is that cadets are not authorized to wear the blue braid on the sleeve of the Service Dress Coat.
Ref: CAPM 39-1, 26 JUNE 2014, Para 4.1.5.2

Garibaldi

Quote from: PHall on April 05, 2016, 04:34:18 PM

Well, there is the stock answer, "what does the 39-1 say". But I've been told that's mean. >:D

The answer is that cadets are not authorized to wear the blue braid on the sleeve of the Service Dress Coat.
Ref: CAPM 39-1, 26 JUNE 2014, Para 4.1.5.2

Well, since it IS officer braid, and cadets aren't officers...no. Slick sleeves from airman to Spaatz.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things