Main Menu

retention?

Started by whatevah, May 03, 2005, 10:09:29 PM

whatevah

As mentioned in the thread "Member recognition", retention can be a serious problem for some units.

How does your unit handle retention, and how effective is it?
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Major_Chuck

Retention is something we (CAP as a whole) do a pitiful job at.  We talk a great game about recruitment programs but do very little to keep the folks we've got.  More importantly, by losing the people we've already recruited you've got talent and experience walking out the door.  Not to mention the time and $$$ spent to train them.

Do units have a Recruiting and Retention Officer?  Is that their sole duty  or is it an additional duty?  Do we overpromise and underdeliver when we recruit? 

In my humble but sometimes vocal opinion, National needs to actively train CAP recruiters such as the services do.  Think of the money lost on the race car that could have gone into a strong and viable recruiting program.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

abysmal

Quote from: Major_Chuck on May 03, 2005, 11:02:19 PM
Retention is something we (CAP as a whole) does a pitiful job at.  We talk a great game about recruitment programs but do very little to keep the folks we've got.  More importantly, by losing the people we've already recruited you've got talent and experience walking out the door.  Not to mention the time and $$$ spent to train them.

Do units have a Recruiting and Retention Officer?  Is that their sole duty  or is it an additional duty?  Do we overpromise and underdeliver when we recruit? 

In my humble but sometimes vocal opinion, National needs to actively train CAP recruiters such as the services do.  Think of the money lost on the race car that could have gone into a strong and viable recruiting program.

Well......
Having Just moments ago gotten back from SLS I certainly have a much broader understanding of CAP than I did before. SLS opened my eyes to a lot more of CAP than I was looking at.

I think Retention might be a function of how well someone understands what they are doing, and where they are headed or can go with it. For the last 6 months I have been looking at the trees. This weekend I got to the a little of the forest for the first time since I joined back in 1979. I really didn't understand just how large the forest was, or for that matter just how few trees I was really responsible for ..

I don't know if we need a recruiting officer so much as we need a "career development" officer to keep track of all the senior's progress and keep them on track to regular advancement and progress, much in the same way the DCC does for all the Cadets.
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

Pace

Quote from: abysmal on May 23, 2005, 03:46:46 AM
I don't know if we need a recruiting officer so much as we need a "career development" officer to keep track of all the senior's progress and keep them on track to regular advancement and progress, much in the same way the DCC does for all the Cadets.

Luckily, there is such a position.  It's the Professional Development Officer.  CAPR 20-1 has all the information about all of the different positions available in CAP.  The PDO organizes the Senior Member Professional Development Program and helps the SMs in the squadron advance their education, training, and overall progress in CAP.

Daniel Pace
Professional Development Officer
SWR-LA-094
Lt Col, CAP

abysmal

Now all we have to do is GET one of them in our squadron!!
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

MIKE

Quote from: abysmal on May 23, 2005, 03:10:03 PM
Now all we have to do is GET one of them in our squadron!!

Your Deputy Commander for Seniors probably can/should fill this role... For the time being at least.
Mike Johnston

ncc1912

Quote from: Major_Chuck on May 03, 2005, 11:02:19 PM
Retention is something we (CAP as a whole) does a pitiful job at.  We talk a great game about recruitment programs but do very little to keep the folks we've got.  More importantly, by losing the people we've already recruited you've got talent and experience walking out the door.  Not to mention the time and $$$ spent to train them.

Major,

We think a lot alike, it seems.  I am moving to MER from Europe and have talked with the MER/CS.  It looks like I am coming on as MER Director of Recruiting (RS).  Your opinion may be sought in the future.

In other words, I agree wholeheartedly!
//SIGNED//
JUSTIN B. BAIER, Major, CAP
"Dislocated Member"
Civil Air Patrol - United States Air Force Auxiliary
Active-duty USAF
Seoul, Republic of Korea

Major_Chuck

Ahhhhh, you're the hush hush name she wouldn't say outloud. 

Welcome aboard.

-Chuck
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

Pylon

Quote from: Major_Chuck on October 03, 2005, 01:22:36 AM
Ahhhhh, you're the hush hush name she wouldn't say outloud. 

Welcome aboard.

-Chuck

What a small world!  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Major_Chuck

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS