Permethrin Spray

Started by stitchmom, June 18, 2015, 01:34:03 PM

THRAWN

Quote from: SarDragon on June 19, 2015, 09:52:27 PM
No, no, no. That's dihydrogen monoxide, or DHMO. Really ugly stuff in excess.

Only if it is from the Schyulkill River....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

SarDragon

Quote from: THRAWN on June 19, 2015, 10:49:07 PM

Only if it is from the Schyulkill River....

>:D

Got nothing on the Androscogscumgin River. The river with a head on it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

abdsp51

Never used the stuff even deployed.

LSThiker

Sorry for my sense but I am at a Tick-borne disease conference, ironically enough.

Quote from: stitchmom on June 19, 2015, 06:07:10 PM
I wasn't posting to start a debate about insecticides or not or the 100 other mommy debates.  :-[   

It is CAPTalk, any post has the ability to be a debate, go into a tangent, or be a debate on a tangent.  :-)

Well, it was Aliso Viejo, California that had a paralegal put the banning of DHMO on a city council agenda in March 2004.

Quote from: THRAWN on June 19, 2015, 10:44:50 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on June 19, 2015, 09:19:40 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on June 19, 2015, 06:18:59 PM
Quote from: stitchmom on June 19, 2015, 06:07:10 PM
I wasn't posting to start a debate about insecticides or not or the 100 other mommy debates.  :-[

Maybe not, but it's good that you did. Some people are just ignorant of the impact that spraying chemicals on themselves may have. The more it's discussed, the better we will all be able to operate safely.

And some people are completely ignorant of the nature of chemicals altogether, and say the term like it's an automatic epithet.

True. Those people would not be me.

However, that hoax demonstrates what is wrong with science education in this country.  People read things on the internet that sound official and scary but they fail to critically analyze the information.  As with the DHMO hoax.  People hear an official scary source and believe it must be true.  I run into this all the time with people: 
the contrail conspiracy
Banning of vaccines because Jenny McCarthy says so based on the fraudulent work of Andrew Wakefield despite the volumes of research that demonstrates the contrary. 
Quote mining (Richard Dawkins has a good video on this)
"Studies" that demonstrates XYZ but they fail to understand the study itself was flawed because poor technique, wrong dosage, wrong delivery, wrong usage.
Or some bias and misleading website like NaturalNews says so

Part of this fault lies in the process of science.  When I publish, if my article is rejected (not meaning accepted but with major revisions), then I try to publish again in a lower tier journal.  Sooner or later some journal with poor standards or peer review or none at all will accept the work and publish it.  People can latch on to these journals and claim "see it is published research". Of course even top tier journals will post flawed science because poor reviewer selection, based on the history of a particular researcher, etc.  The good thing is that over time science corrects itself based on more research and other scientists disputing claims (I.e. The retracted articles of South Korean researcher that claimed he could clone human stem cells). 

Being able to really critically evaluate scientific work is what separates a scientist and a person that studied science.  I do not know many times I have heard "well he has a BA in science so that makes him a scientist". Sorry it does not. 

Quote from: jdh on June 19, 2015, 04:28:50 AM
While I was in the Army they stopped issuing it and forbade us from using it due to health risks from prolonged usage.

When was that?  Was that Army or a command decision.  For at least 30years, the use of permethrin has been in field manuals.  Also the Army has reintroduced permethrin treated Uniforms in 2013:

http://phc.amedd.army.mil/topics/envirohealth/epm/Pages/PermethrinFactory-treatedArmyCombatUniforms(ACUPermethrin).aspx

Quote from: abdsp51 on June 20, 2015, 03:59:26 AM
Never used the stuff even deployed.

Neither did I.  The only time I wear it is when I am outside in conditions near mosquito or tick hatching season and you see these:

Mosquito swarms

Lone star tick larvae

jdh

Quote from: LSThiker on June 20, 2015, 03:29:28 PM

While I was in the Army they stopped issuing it and forbade us from using it due to health risks from prolonged usage.

When was that?  Was that Army or a command decision.  For at least 30years, the use of permethrin has been in field manuals.  Also the Army has reintroduced permethrin treated Uniforms in 2013:

http://phc.amedd.army.mil/topics/envirohealth/epm/Pages/PermethrinFactory-treatedArmyCombatUniforms(ACUPermethrin).aspx

In 04 in basic they gave it to us with initial issue, while in AIT in 05 it was taken and we were told to discontinue use of it and it was still forbidden in 2009 when I got medically retired. We were told to use high concentration DEET sprays instead.

AlphaSigOU

Mosquito swarms

The Marshall Islands Air Force! (Also applies to the swarms of day-VFR only flies.) :D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

PHall

Quote from: jdh on June 21, 2015, 07:26:19 AM

In 04 in basic they gave it to us with initial issue, while in AIT in 05 it was taken and we were told to discontinue use of it and it was still forbidden in 2009 when I got medically retired. We were told to use high concentration DEET sprays instead.

That's no joke. I developed a hyper-sensitivity to the stuff and can't even use stuff like Off bug repellent today.

LSThiker

Quote from: jdh on June 21, 2015, 07:26:19 AM

So it was command decision. The Army Public Health Command and AMEDD were still recommending permethrin during those times for uniforms and DEET. But we were not recommending one over the other.

lordmonar

Well.....timely discussion.

If you've read the new SAFETY BEACON you will see that CAP advocates the use of Permethrin and DEET to repel ticks.

http://capmembers.com/media/cms/June_Safety_Beacon_2015__final__pdf_5FF54BD3456F5.pdf
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP