CAP's switch to Air Combat Command

Started by Afbrat52, April 23, 2015, 04:33:28 PM

sarmed1

Quote from: RiverAux on April 23, 2015, 10:18:37 PM
While I'm certainly not predicting that anything will happen because of this, it certainly isn't terribly good news for the cadet program since in a broad way it represents some sort of switch in attitudes about what the AF thinks CAP is about.

It was explained to me (by the CAP-USAF chain not CAP) the only reason CAP was under AETC in the first place was the coincidental fact that both CAP and JROTC/ROTC had cadets.

On the operational side the plus is that the component that tasks CAP "owns" CAP.   If I recall correctly it "would" make it easier for 1st AF to task and fund CAP operations, because they dont have to ask someone else (cross commands) to fix, fund, communicate with, make available etc etc the assets they need for a particular task.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

PHall

Quote from: abdsp51 on April 24, 2015, 02:57:16 PM
Good luck on funding with ACC if it dont fly they dont buy.

Yeah, just remember folks, ACC is owned and operated by the Fighter Pilot Mafia...

JeffDG

Quote from: PHall on April 25, 2015, 01:20:27 AM

Yeah, just remember folks, ACC is owned and operated by the Fighter Pilot Mafia...

Does that mean we can hang some AIM-9s under the wings?

lordmonar

Which is a good thing for us in this case.....because the last thing the FPM wants to do is inland SAR.   So we will always have a job.

;)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Storm Chaser

And how is that different from the AETC fighter pilot "mafia"?

• CAP-USAF/CC — F-15 pilot
  • AU/CC — F-15 pilot
  • AETC/CC — F-16/CC

LegacyAirman

Possibly the place where CAP belongs is AMC; the successor of Military Airlift Command. MAC was the former home for miscellaneous flying related "services" - Airways and Air Communications Service (under it's predecessor Military Air Transport Service), Air Weather Service, and Air Rescue Service. But CAP won't ever be placed under AMC.

PHall

The "problem" is CAP's diverse nature.
Our Emergency Services mission is clearly a good fit with ACC since ACC "owns" AFRCC. The Air Force Rescue units belong to ACC too.
The Cadet Program is a more natural fit with AETC. Since that's where AFJROTC and AFROTC are slotted too.

PHall

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 25, 2015, 02:24:10 AM

And how is that different from the AETC fighter pilot "mafia"?

• CAP-USAF/CC — F-15 pilot
  • AU/CC — F-15 pilot
  • AETC/CC — F-16/CC

Just remember the alternate name for Air Force Pilot Wings = Universial Management Badge.
With very limited exceptions, Pilot Wings are a requirement to enter the Command Track in the Air Force.

sarmed1

Quote from: PHall on April 25, 2015, 05:57:25 AM
The "problem" is CAP's diverse nature.
Our Emergency Services mission is clearly a good fit with ACC since ACC "owns" AFRCC. The Air Force Rescue units belong to ACC too.
The Cadet Program is a more natural fit with AETC. Since that's where AFJROTC and AFROTC are slotted too.

I think , in very broad terms, its easier to get an operations focused group to understand a training function than to get a training focused group to understand operations.

ie... I was one day trouble shooting a radio failure on the aviation radio that i needed to communicate with an in bound helo to my lz....an aetc ltc decided this was the best time to tell me about my crooked flight suit name tag and improperly rolled sleeves..... 

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel