Starting a (school) squadron?

Started by Holding Pattern, April 22, 2015, 10:15:37 PM

Holding Pattern

A school recently approached me wondering what might be involved in starting a squadron within the school. Where could I get more information on this?

NC Hokie

You're in luck, as I've just had this conversation with a local school.  Start with your wing commander and reach out to any school squadrons that WAWG may have.  Also, talk to Joanna Lee at NHQ, as she manages the Cadets at School program.  Finally, the Cadets at School page (http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/cadets_at_school/) is a good resource for yourself as well as the school's administration.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

USAFRiggerGuy

I wondered why CAP wasn't in schools but JROTC is.
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Broomfield Composite Squadron
RMR-CO-099
Proud USAF Veteran (SSgt)

Luis R. Ramos

Others more in the know or not tired or with the love of research will get you the correct name of the program, the amounts, specific details, and dates.

I believe since the 1900 the military, research institutions and schools are affected by a law that states that as a condition for getting money from Uncle Sam for research they have to allow the military to conduct military leadership training. This law has changed over the years as wars have affected society. But it has remained: Uncle Sam gives money and support to schools, they have to allow the military in.

Doesn't this sound like, oh my gosh! Yes, you already know the answer. ROTC and JROTC!

CAP does not have near the funds that Uncle Sam is mandated to give to these schools and universities, so its presence in schools and universities cannot compete with the military. Yet it has achieved some presence there as well.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

AirAux

Isn't the CAP school program limited to middle schools?

lordmonar

Quote from: AirAux on April 23, 2015, 08:38:26 PM
Isn't the CAP school program limited to middle schools?
Nope.

The Middle School Inititive which morphed into SEP were limited to middle schools...but it morphed again to cover all institutions of learning.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Ned

Both school-based and community-based programs have advantages and disadvantages.

School based programs have some advantages in infrastructure (classrooms, internet, heat, admin support, built in recruiting audience, and a possible advantage in contact hours.)  Disadvantages include difficulty supporting enough "senior member equivalents" (volunteers) to support the unit and activities, having an age range larger than 3 years (to allow older cadet NCO and officers), limiting the time a cadet can be in the unit to 3 or 4 years at most, and some interesting public relations issues with stakeholders, parents, and the community that often results in debates about the role of military style programs in a school.

Community based programs have some advantages as well. Cadets can stay in the unit for many more years, the recruiting base is larger and more diverse (age, geography, etc.), volunteer adult leaders are likely to be more available in the evenings and on weekends, etc.  Disadvantages include the challenges in finding meeting places and providing infrastructure, costs born solely by the members / unit, etc.

One of the ideas that I pitched unsuccessfully to our friends at the Holms Center was to create some synergy by trying to combine both a community-based and school-based unit at the same location.  Specifically, putting a community-based CAP squadron co-located with every AFJROTC unit.  They could share classrooms, instructors, infrastructure, etc.  The AF could maintain contact with cadets for longer than the max of four years at the high school level, and could use the CAP unit as a force-structuring tool to entice our middle-school cadets into a AFJROTC program where available.

It seemed win-win to me, but despite a great PowerPoint and position paper, I was unable to get our AF colleagues to consider the idea.

On to my next brilliant scheme.

JeffDG

Hmmmm...I might have to look at this for my daughter's school...she turns 12 this summer.

Also have the wing Director of Cadet Programs in town, and myself that can help support a school unit.

Av8tion

I'm actually in the initial stages of speaking with a local school system for offering school credit for CAP. Instead of a school squadron, they join one of the three local squadrons (whichever meeting night works with their schedule) and they're graded based on attendance, participation, and performance. It has all the recruiting benefits of a school squadron without the headache of building a new school-only unit. Not to mention the fact that more students can sign up since it won't conflict with their class schedule since there's no in-school class they need to fit in.
The best part is that school systems are virtually guaranteed to go along with the idea if you sell it as a STEM program initiative that doesn't cost the school any money and can be set up very quickly with no long-term commitment. They get to brag about their new STEM program making their kids better than all the other school systems, and the local squadrons get a few dozen extra cadets each year.... win-win. I'll let you know how it goes..

lordmonar

Accreditation?

In order to be able to award credit for something...you are going to have to through the accreditation process.

I like the idea....but you may be biting off a little bit more then you think.
Good Luck.

Av8tion

Quote from: lordmonar on April 24, 2015, 12:49:06 PM
Accreditation?

In order to be able to award credit for something...you are going to have to through the accreditation process.

Good Luck.

Middle-high school credit, not college credit. it would go toward their GPA and they would take it like a regular class. It's no different than a school squadron in that regard.

lordmonar

Quote from: Av8tion on April 24, 2015, 07:08:17 PM
Accreditation?

Good Luck.

Middle-high school credit, not college credit. it would go toward their GPA and they would take it like a regular class. It's no different than a school squadron in that regard.
Again.....accreditation.  If it effects the GPA then it has to be accredited....just like the PE, Art, and music classes (and all the rest).

LSThiker

Quote from: lordmonar on April 24, 2015, 07:12:05 PM
Accreditation?

Good Luck.

Again.....accreditation.  If it effects the GPA then it has to be accredited....just like the PE, Art, and music classes (and all the rest).

It all depends on the state.  Some states require that all offered courses must receive state approval and accreditation.  However, some states require only the mandatory classes or just the classes that are required for fulfilling certain graduation requirements.  Those that are only offered for local credit are not required. 

lordmonar

Quote from: LSThiker on April 24, 2015, 07:33:40 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on April 24, 2015, 07:12:05 PM
Accreditation?

Good Luck.

It all depends on the state.  Some states require that all offered courses must receive state approval and accreditation.  However, some states require only the mandatory classes or just the classes that are required for fulfilling certain graduation requirements.  Those that are only offered for local credit are not required.
Yep.

Av8tion

Still a fairly easy step considering you'd still need that in a "school squadron" and since it's far too late to put it into practice this upcoming school year we've got plenty of time before Fall 2016 to get everything into place (and perhaps a few more school systems on board)

lordmonar

Quote from: Av8tion on April 25, 2015, 12:09:09 AM
Still a fairly easy step considering you'd still need that in a "school squadron" and since it's far too late to put it into practice this upcoming school year we've got plenty of time before Fall 2016 to get everything into place (and perhaps a few more school systems on board)
Oh...it is completely do-able....just that it needs to be done (or at least looked int).   That means a syllabus, lesson plans, teacher credentials....probably a probation period.   

Av8tion

Quote from: lordmonar on April 25, 2015, 12:37:24 AM
Quote from: Av8tion on April 25, 2015, 12:09:09 AM
Oh...it is completely do-able....just that it needs to be done (or at least looked int).   That means a syllabus, lesson plans, teacher credentials....probably a probation period.   

Most likely will start up this summer/school year as a STEM partnership while the details get hammered out. I'm hoping it's enough to get the surrounding school systems jealous interested and willing to work with us as well. All it takes is 1-2 towns to use as a success story / poster-child for this program and the others will be lining up to participate.

lordmonar

Sounds like you got a plan.....have fun.   Let us know how it works.

Storm Chaser

I agree with Ned's comments regarding school based programs. While I recognize some of their advantages, I think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. In my experience, it's tough for school units to meet all the requirements that CAP has, as the regulations don't always cover their unique circumstances.

jnazars@yahoo.com

Hypothetical question?

Is it possible to start a community college Wing?

Would the air force have an issue with it possibly competing with the AFROTC program? Cause here is my thought. The AF has high school ROTC which usually emphasizes on enlistment. Then at the 4 year institutions they have AFROTC which is for recruiting commissioned officers.

Well what if I'm going to a 2 year college because I want to fix cars, airplanes or weld or any other trade skill  but because of the tremendous competition within the AF not only would I not be able to become an officer because I would only have a 2 year degree but as a skilled laborer I could even have a difficult time advancing within the enlisted ranks. Maybe if something like this were to take off maybe it could help improve CAPs image within the rest of the military because more of their officers would have a degree. It wouldn't be a. 4 year degree but with it being an Auxiliary a 2 year degree should be sufficient for the officer rank.