What happens to National Commander after term?

Started by atlantis737, January 18, 2015, 08:50:54 PM

atlantis737

Hello all,

I've never seen anything about former Nat'l Commanders or Vice Commanders doing anything after leaving their NHQ positions.  Are they required to leave CAP after their term, or do most of them voluntarily retire from the program?

Just curious.  I'd love to hear stories about former Nat'l CC/VC's doing interesting things after their term.

JeffDG

Maj Gen Courter has remained active, particularly with IACE IIRC.

lordmonar

The former national commanders have a semi offical committee that they sit on and sometimes advise the sitting national commander.

Most former national commanders do the right thing and fade into the back ground for a time letting the new guy take over and do his thing.

Gen Courter was the CAP rep to the IACE Committee and IIRC she was the chair of that committee.

The previous two national commanders left office in less then stellar circumstances and both left CAP IIRC.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Most stay active on one level or another serving on various boards, going back to their wings
or regions, etc.

There are some relatively recent restrictions in place now that limit where former HEADCAPs can
serve - for example they are ineligible to serve on the BOG for 6 years.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

I thought the advisory committee of former commanders was just the polite name for the glue factory...

I'd imagine after being National Commander, and all the volunteer hours it requires, you're pretty tired.  It's a really serious commitment, and takes a lot out of someone.  It's best for someone who's retired.

MSG Mac

MG Wheless served as the MER Legal Officer and was brought up to National in the same capacity.
BG Cass is a Group Chaplain in the Tampa Bay area
BG Anderson served on the BofG and as President of the Spaatz Association
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

atlantis737

Out of curiosity, could a former National Commander/Vice Commander go back and serve as a Squadron/Group/Wing Commander?

LTCinSWR

I haven't seen anything in the regs that would prohibit it, but why would they want to? This may be projection, but if I in that position, I would be ready for an advisory role. I certainly wouldn't do anything to create the appearance of undermining my successor.
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
Homeland Security Officer
NM Wing Headquarters

LTCinSWR

Quote from: MSG Mac on January 18, 2015, 09:57:37 PM
BG Anderson served on the BofG and as President of the Spaatz Association

General Anderson was also elected to the Virginia House of Delegates after retiring from the Air Force.
http://richanderson.com/about/
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
NM Wing Headquarters

Afbrat52

Are the former National Commanders demoted after their terms?

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Afbrat52 on January 18, 2015, 11:04:46 PM

No.  Why should they be, unless they've done something very egregious, like the former Generalissimo who almost pulled CAP into the toilet, hook, line and stinker?

General Courter still has her two stars.

General Anderson still has his star (he's also a retired Air Force Colonel, I believe).
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

ColonelJack

Quote from: CyBorg on January 18, 2015, 11:17:37 PM

No.  Why should they be, unless they've done something very egregious, like the former Generalissimo who almost pulled CAP into the toilet, hook, line and stinker?

General Anderson still has his star (he's also a retired Air Force Colonel, I believe).

It's not automatic, though.  The BoG has to approve the rank as permanent following the conclusion of their terms.

For instance, General Courter's first National CV, who served before General Carr; when he (and I'm so sorry that, due to a senior moment, his name escapes me) was denied re-election, the BoG reduced him back to colonel.  It's not a rubber stamp.

Oh, and Cyborg -- "hook, line and stinker?"  I see what you did there ...  ;D

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

AlphaSigOU

Outgoing national commanders also receive life membership in CAP.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

LTCinSWR

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on January 19, 2015, 12:12:25 AM
Outgoing national commanders also receive life membership in CAP.

That too requires a vote. Usually they do, with some glaring exceptions.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
NM Wing Headquarters

dwb

If I'm ever CAP/CC, I'm going to travel around the country and attend random squadron meetings with no notice. Just slip in the back of a classroom while an unsuspecting cadet NCO is teaching new cadets about the chain of command.

When the NCO asks the room "does anyone know who the national commander is?" I'll jump up and say THIS GUY!!

It could happen.

LTCinSWR

Quote from: dwb on January 19, 2015, 12:23:25 AM
If I'm ever CAP/CC, I'm going to travel around the country and attend random squadron meetings with no notice. Just slip in the back of a classroom while an unsuspecting cadet NCO is teaching new cadets about the chain of command.

When the NCO asks the room "does anyone know who the national commander is?" I'll jump up and say THIS GUY!!

It could happen.

That's just mean...
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
NM Wing Headquarters

Afbrat52

RiverAux

It could happen.

The stars might give you away....

JeffDG

Quote from: RiverAux on January 19, 2015, 12:54:07 AM

It could happen.

The stars might give you away....

Just wear a blue polo.

JacobAnn

Quote from: ColonelJack on January 19, 2015, 12:08:53 AM

For instance, General Courter's first National CV, who served before General Carr; when he (and I'm so sorry that, due to a senior moment, his name escapes me) was denied re-election, the BoG reduced him back to colonel.

Jack

Reggie Chitwood

Chappie

Quote from: lordmonar on January 18, 2015, 09:10:52 PM
The former national commanders have a semi offical committee that they sit on and sometimes advise the sitting national commander.

Most former national commanders do the right thing and fade into the back ground for a time letting the new guy take over and do his thing.

Gen Courter was the CAP rep to the IACE Committee and IIRC she was the chair of that committee.

The previous two national commanders left office in less then stellar circumstances and both left CAP IIRC.

The only National Commander that I recall leaving CAP after their term was....no he never completed his term but was dismissed.  Former Commanders Anderson, Bobick, Bowling, Wheless,  Courter, and Carr are still members.   Gen Bergman passed away a couple of years ago...these are the commanders that I recall.  Now former vice commanders have not fared so well: Rex Glascow and Reggie Chitwood.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

PHall

It could happen.

Quit stealing Ned's thunder...  This is totally a "Ned" thing! ;)

MSG Mac

Quote from: atlantis737 on January 18, 2015, 10:00:43 PM
Out of curiosity, could a former National Commander/Vice Commander go back and serve as a Squadron/Group/Wing Commander?

BG Brookfield announced that he would return to CAWG to be a Squadron Commander when his term was over.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

FW

Quote from: JacobAnn on January 19, 2015, 11:25:11 AM

For instance, General Courter's first National CV, who served before General Carr; when he (and I'm so sorry that, due to a senior moment, his name escapes me) was denied re-election, the BoG reduced him back to colonel.

Jack

Reggie Chitwood

Back then, it was the "NEC" which decided on permanent grade for National CV's and CC's.  The BoG had nothing to do with it.   

FW

Quote from: Chappie on January 20, 2015, 01:46:40 AM

The only National Commander that I recall leaving CAP after their term was....no he never completed his term but was dismissed.  Former Commanders Anderson, Bobick, Bowling, Wheless,  Courter, and Carr are still members.   Gen Bergman passed away a couple of years ago...these are the commanders that I recall.  Now former vice commanders have not fared so well: Rex Glascow and Reggie Chitwood.

There are three National Commander's which left office before their terms were over (recent history).  Gens. Bergman, Wheless resigned, Mr. Pineda was removed.  Gen Bergman was demoted to Col. by the NB. It was one of a number of reasons the BoG was created.  His star was reinstated years later by the NB. 

There are quite a few National Vice Commanders who have not made it to "the top".  Until 2002, they were Cols.  Since then, they were given the temp grade of Brig Gen.  Since 2002, only two CV's did not make it to CC.  Rex Glascow resigned.  Reggie Chitwood lost his third election after a very political time in CAP's history.  The NEC completed "the task" by refusing to make the grade permanent.  He reverted to Col. This process was a major reason why our system of governance changed in 2012.  Just sayn'

JeffDG

Quote from: FW on January 20, 2015, 02:16:30 PM
Quote from: Chappie on January 20, 2015, 01:46:40 AM

There are three National Commander's which left office before their terms were over (recent history).  Gens. Bergman, Wheless resigned, Mr. Pineda was removed.  Gen Bergman was demoted to Col. by the NB. It was one of a number of reasons the BoG was created.  His star was reinstated years later by the NB. 

There are quite a few National Vice Commanders who have not made it to "the top".  Until 2002, they were Cols.  Since then, they were given the temp grade of Brig Gen.  Since 2002, only two CV's did not make it to CC.  Rex Glascow resigned.  Reggie Chitwood lost his third election after a very political time in CAP's history.  The NEC completed "the task" by refusing to make the grade permanent.  He reverted to Col. This process was a major reason why our system of governance changed in 2012.  Just sayn'

Chitwood, under the current process, would have remained a BG, right?

As specified in CAPR 1-5b, once he was re-elected as CAP/CV once (and he was re-elected twice), he would be entitled to BG permanently.

QuoteThe individual, after successfully completing one year as National Vice
Commander, upon recommendation by the National Commander and confirmed by the Board of
Governors, retains the permanent grade of brigadier general. If not confirmed, the individual is
ineligible to remain as National Vice Commander and will revert to his or her previous
permanent grade.

FW

^ He basically served as acting CV for one year; was elected for one year, and re elected for one year.  He lost election in 2010. 
I can not say what would have happened  under the current process, because he might not have been appointed to the position by the Commander then.  If he were, and reappointed to a second year.....   :angel:

JeffDG

Quote from: FW on January 20, 2015, 08:51:34 PM
^ He basically served as acting CV for one year; was elected for one year, and re elected for one year.  He lost election in 2010. 
I can not say what would have happened  under the current process, because he might not have been appointed to the position by the Commander then.  If he were, and reappointed to a second year.....   :angel:

Not trying to second guess things...but the fact pattern:  Appointed, confirmed, reappointed, reconfirmed = Permanent BG under current regs.

CSAG no longer has any say over the matter.

MG is permanent, unless the BoG revokes (ie. if they do nothing, the former CAP/CC keeps 2 stars), and BG is permanent as soon as the BoG confirms the CV for a second time.

FW

^Very true.  The pattern as described would result in the permanent grade of Brig Gen. under the current process.  If Col Chitwood was appointed, and continued on for a second year (I don't think there is a set term for the CV), this would have occurred. 

He, BTW; serves as the ALWG government relations officer. 
Former National Commanders Anderson, Bergman, and Bowling served on the BoG after their terms.  Gen Wheless is the current Chief of Legal Corps. 

CAP_truth

former national commander BG DuPont serves as the national advisor to the CAC
Cadet CoP
Wilson

ColonelJack

Quote from: FW on January 20, 2015, 02:05:11 PM
Quote from: JacobAnn on January 19, 2015, 11:25:11 AM

Jack

Reggie Chitwood

Back then, it was the "NEC" which decided on permanent grade for National CV's and CC's.  The BoG had nothing to do with it.   

Thank you, Colonel.  I stand corrected.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Private Investigator

Quote from: MSG Mac on January 20, 2015, 12:33:31 PM
Quote from: atlantis737 on January 18, 2015, 10:00:43 PM

BG Brookfield announced that he would return to CAWG to be a Squadron Commander when his term was over.

Years ago I recall seeing a picture of a CAP BG launching rockets with Cadets. I would not have a problem helping the HIWG out as a former MG or BG. Maybe CAWG too  8)

sardak

Former National Commander BG Jay Bobick (blue on blue tie) with Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper (magenta tie). Gen Bobick and the other two gentlemen in the photo are major players in Colorado's veterans affairs. Gen Bobick is still available as an advisor on CAP matters and attends CAP special events. Photo taken at the Legislature's Military and Veterans Day at the State Capitol. Pictures of CAP members at the event here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/conationalguard/sets/72157650226052679  Photo on Flickr by the Colorado National Guard.

MSG Mac

Don't forget BG Cass who became a Group Chaplain in the Tampa Area.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member