75th Anniversary Ideas and Preparation

Started by James Shaw, December 11, 2014, 01:59:40 PM

James Shaw

So now that the Congressional Gold Medal has been awarded, what is next for CAP to do? The organization will celebrate its 75th Anniversary in a little less than two years. This is another milestone for the organization. How can NHQ and the General Membership prepare for and work towards that day?

I will start this off with a couple of ideas in no particular order of importance.

1) 75th Anniversary Challenge Coin contest. Members submit and NHQ, CSAG, and the rest pick the design. Winning entry noted at National Meeting prior to Dec 2016.
2) Volunteer Magazine 75th Anniversary Cover contest. Allow members to submit ideas for the cover design for the magazine.
3) Create "Civilians And Patriots" blog where current and past members can put their CAP stories on there and share how CAP has impacted their lives (Vetted and monitored for content submission).
4) Get squadrons to do pictures of themselves formed in the shape of the number 75 and make it their squadron picture or profile on social media or the CAP Brand.
5) Organizational impact video. The individual squadrons, groups, or wing highlight what type of impact they have had in their area. For example; Cadets that attended service academies, cadets that joined the military.
6) Total organizational impact. Compile a national list of ALL data to include: lives saved, aircraft found, missing people found, flights done, aerial photographs completed, and the like to show overall impact of the members. 
7) Contributions to GA with respect to members and their flying activities outside of CAP such as Angel Flights.
8 )75 Minutes of History. Have squadrons hold historical contest where cadets write historical paper on CAP within a specific topic. Panel selects the best paper and sends it up the COC for National Level contest and recognition. Cadet highlighted on CAP Volunteer and Online.
9) 75th Anniversary local celebration where the most "Senior" and Youngest Cadet cut a 75th Annv Cake and share with local media.
10) Invite local media to an Anniversary Party where the videos and information can be shared. Open to the public as well. 

I have more but I think this is a good start  ;D ;D ;D

Anything else?
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

Alaric

Quote from: capmando on December 11, 2014, 01:59:40 PM
So now that the Congressional Gold Medal has been awarded, what is next for CAP to do? The organization will celebrate its 75th Anniversary in a little less than two years. This is another milestone for the organization. How can NHQ and the General Membership prepare for and work towards that day?

I will start this off with a couple of ideas in no particular order of importance.

1) 75th Anniversary Challenge Coin contest. Members submit and NHQ, CSAG, and the rest pick the design. Winning entry noted at National Meeting prior to Dec 2016.
2) Volunteer Magazine 75th Anniversary Cover contest. Allow members to submit ideas for the cover design for the magazine.
3) Create "Civilians And Patriots" blog where current and past members can put their CAP stories on there and share how CAP has impacted their lives (Vetted and monitored for content submission).
4) Get squadrons to do pictures of themselves formed in the shape of the number 75 and make it their squadron picture or profile on social media or the CAP Brand.
5) Organizational impact video. The individual squadrons, groups, or wing highlight what type of impact they have had in their area. For example; Cadets that attended service academies, cadets that joined the military.
6) Total organizational impact. Compile a national list of ALL data to include: lives saved, aircraft found, missing people found, flights done, aerial photographs completed, and the like to show overall impact of the members. 
7) Contributions to GA with respect to members and their flying activities outside of CAP such as Angel Flights.
8 )75 Minutes of History. Have squadrons hold historical contest where cadets write historical paper on CAP within a specific topic. Panel selects the best paper and sends it up the COC for National Level contest and recognition. Cadet highlighted on CAP Volunteer and Online.
9) 75th Anniversary local celebration where the most "Senior" and Youngest Cadet cut a 75th Annv Cake and share with local media.
10) Invite local media to an Anniversary Party where the videos and information can be shared. Open to the public as well. 

I have more but I think this is a good start  ;D ;D ;D

Anything else?

I'd rather see us spend more time and resources building our membership, determining where we fit operationally, and preparing for such operations.  I've always been more a steak then sizzle guy.  PR stunts are all well and good, but if we don't pay attention to the membership and the mission, how many people will be around for the 80th?

Shuman 14

I'd like to see the US Air Force award the Civil Air Patrol the Outstanding Unit Award

for 75 years of exceptionally meritorious service.

Very similar to the US Coast Guard awarding the US Coast Guard Auxiliary the Coast Guard Unit Commendation

for similar significant anniversaries.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

PHall

Quote from: shuman14 on December 11, 2014, 03:48:23 PM
I'd like to see the US Air Force award the Civil Air Patrol the Outstanding Unit Award

for 75 years of exceptionally meritorious service.

Very similar to the US Coast Guard awarding the US Coast Guard Auxiliary the Coast Guard Unit Commendation

for similar significant anniversaries.

Take the time to actually read what the requirements are for the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award and you will see that CAP can not be awarded it.
Maybe an Air Force Organizational Excellance Award and even that would be a stretch.

James Shaw

This is awarded to those civilian Air Force personnel who have provided exceptionally good service in regards to a command mission. The service must have lasted at least a year; if the time served on the mission is under a year the award recipient's contribution must have been significant.
Jim Shaw

Eclipse

I'd like CAP to start looking forward.

The past has been acknowledged Ad infinitum.  How about a National Commander's Commendation for the
entire organization in 2017 for the amazing FY2016 the organization had?

CAP just spent 2+ years focused on a gold medal, now it will change to 75 years, meanwhile, the current news of the day
is usually an open house or some random Mitchell award.

"That Others May Zoom"

James Shaw

Quote from: Eclipse on December 11, 2014, 04:05:06 PM
I'd like CAP to start looking forward.

The past has been acknowledged Ad infinitum.  How about a National Commander's Commendation for the
entire organization in 2017 for the amazing FY2016 the organization had?

CAP just spent 2+ years focused on a gold medal, now it will change to 75 years, meanwhile, the current news of the day
is usually an open house or some random Mitchell award.

Emphasis mine:

That is the best idea yet. Nothing new but use what we have. excellent idea  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Jim Shaw

Alaric

Quote from: capmando on December 11, 2014, 04:03:52 PM
This is awarded to those civilian Air Force personnel who have provided exceptionally good service in regards to a command mission. The service must have lasted at least a year; if the time served on the mission is under a year the award recipient's contribution must have been significant.

1) We are not civilian personnel of the Air Force, we are, at best, part of our time, volunteers supporting the Air Force

2) As we are only the Air Force Auxiliary part of the time, how would you add up service time

3) Define significant

Why don't we worry less about being recognized and more about being of service.

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value" - Albert Einstein

Shuman 14

PHall I did,

QuoteThe Outstanding Unit Award is awarded to any unit of the U.S. Air Force (including the Air Force Reserve and the Air National Guard) which performs exceptionally meritorious service, accomplishes specific acts of outstanding achievement, excels in combat operations against an armed enemy of the United States, or conducts with distinct military operations involving conflict with, or exposure to, a hostile action by any opposing foreign force. The "V" (valor) device is authorized when awarded for combat or combat support service.[2]
* Bold added.

Of the five USAF unit awards (Presidential Unit Citation; Gallant Unit Citation, Air Force Meritorious Unit Award; Outstanding Unit Award; Organizational Excellence Award) the OUA is the only one that would apply because all the higher ones require combat or direct combat support to be awarded and the OEA is for "internal organizations that are entities within larger organizations" which I think is a stretch.

I guess it depends on your point of view...

Is the US Air Force Auxiliary (ie CAP) an "any unit" of the larger US Air Force? = OUA

OR

Is the Civil Air Patrol an "internal organization" of CAP-USAF? = OEA

:-\

My opinion is that higher unit award (ie OUA) is the more appropriate award, which is also based on span and scope of 75 years of exceptionally meritorious service in both peacetime and wartime.
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

jeders

Quote from: shuman14 on December 11, 2014, 04:16:43 PM
PHall I did,

QuoteThe Outstanding Unit Award is awarded to any unit of the U.S. Air Force (including the Air Force Reserve and the Air National Guard) which performs exceptionally meritorious service, accomplishes specific acts of outstanding achievement, excels in combat operations against an armed enemy of the United States, or conducts with distinct military operations involving conflict with, or exposure to, a hostile action by any opposing foreign force. The "V" (valor) device is authorized when awarded for combat or combat support service.[2]

You don't have good reading comprehension, do you. We're NOT a unit of the Air Force and therefore not eligible.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Shuman 14

Quote from: jeders on December 11, 2014, 04:32:24 PM
PHall I did,

You don't have good reading comprehension, do you. We're NOT a unit of the Air Force and therefore not eligible.

An arguement can be made that the US Air Force Auxiliary (ie CAP) is part of the greater US Air Force and is eligible...

BUT

...it becomes a moot point when the AFOUA has been awarded numerous times to Units and Agencies of the other US Armed Forces and Allied Nations.

A simple review of Air Force Pamphlet 900-2 will show a list of them all.  ;)

Therefore, if the USAF chose to, it could honor CAP with an AFOUA.
Joseph J. Clune

A.Member

Rather than perpetuate the self-licking ice cream cone and continue patting ourselves on the back, I'd like the organization to start looking forward and solving issues to ensure our missions evolve and are relevant/value add to the nation for another 75 years.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

AirAux

As A.Member has suggested, let's look forward.  We have spent the last year proving we never sank any submarines or that we were established on Dec 1, 1941.  I think we should push the cadet program more into computers and drones and flight simulator games.  As far as the senior program, perhaps push the photo program for natural disasters and push the border patrol issue for immigration patrol.  That would at least take us back to our roots since we did fly border patrol for a while.  I think the drug reduction program and copunterdrug program will shortly be dead as the legalization of drugs becomes more prominent.  Perhaps we should look back to the early civil aviation program and promote more flight training in the program, both for cadets and seniors.  We supposedly will have a national shortage of pilots in the near future.   Just a couple of random thoughts.  What say ye??

lordmonar

Well....perusing the AFPC awards site.....and CAP-USAF has routinely gotten an AFOUA or AFOEA for the last 20 years or so.  Including all the detachments in 2014. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: shuman14 on December 11, 2014, 04:52:27 PM
Quote from: jeders on December 11, 2014, 04:32:24 PM
PHall I did,

An arguement can be made that the US Air Force Auxiliary (ie CAP) is part of the greater US Air Force and is eligible...

BUT

...it becomes a moot point when the AFOUA has been awarded numerous times to Units and Agencies of the other US Armed Forces and Allied Nations.

A simple review of Air Force Pamphlet 900-2 will show a list of them all.  ;)

Therefore, if the USAF chose to, it could honor CAP with an AFOUA.

You need to look up what the Air Force defines as a unit.  Basically a unit is numbered, i.e. 22nd Air Refueling Wing, 452nd Security Forces Squadron.
Civil Air Patrol is NOT a numbered unit which is why I suggested the Air Force Organizational Excellance Award.
That award is for the organizations that can not be awarded the Outstanding Unit Award.

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on December 11, 2014, 05:36:51 PM
Well....perusing the AFPC awards site.....and CAP-USAF has routinely gotten an AFOUA or AFOEA for the last 20 years or so.  Including all the detachments in 2014.

But that is the "Air Force side" of National Headquarters. And the military members and the Department of the Air Force civilian employees can wear it.
But the CAP corperate employees can't because they considered to be Contractors and are not covered by the Air Force Awards and Decorations program.

James Shaw

I do believe we could argue about anything.
Jim Shaw

lordmonar

Well...that's the key to this conversation.

"Considered to be contractors"........It would take 10 seconds for the CSAF or the SAF to change the regs and move CAP from the Contractor status to something else....not GS employees....not Military Members.....and allow us to get USAF awards.

And capmando.....yes we can and do.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on December 11, 2014, 06:07:25 PM
Well...that's the key to this conversation.

"Considered to be contractors"........It would take 10 seconds for the CSAF or the SAF to change the regs and move CAP from the Contractor status to something else....not GS employees....not Military Members.....and allow us to get USAF awards.

And capmando.....yes we can and do.

Pat, the point is that CAP employees are paid by CAP, Inc. They are not directly paid by the DAF or even DOD.

Shuman 14

Quote from: PHall on December 11, 2014, 05:40:00 PM
You need to look up what the Air Force defines as a unit.  Basically a unit is numbered, i.e. 22nd Air Refueling Wing, 452nd Security Forces Squadron.
Civil Air Patrol is NOT a numbered unit which is why I suggested the Air Force Organizational Excellance Award.
That award is for the organizations that can not be awarded the Outstanding Unit Award.

OK, I did not know that. Maybe an AFOEA is more appropriate.  :-\
Joseph J. Clune