Main Menu

ECSI setup

Started by LSThiker, August 04, 2014, 06:40:44 PM

LSThiker

For those that have set up an ECSI "educational center", what is the process involved?  Cost?  What courses do you teach?  How does ECSI determine which courses you are qualified to teach?  How do you determine the cost of each course?

Thanks

sarmed1

The Ed Center process was as easy as the online form.  There was no set up cost.  The cost comes in that you have to by an instructor package for whatever courses your center is going to provide.  Its up to your Ed Center coordinator (cant remember if thats the right title) to determine what courses instructors are able to teach.  Generally speaking an instructor should be certified in what ever course they will teach, complete an ECSI instructor course or have an appropriate reciprocity type instructor cert (ie AHA, ARC etc etc).  Cost is up to the specific Education Center; if its CAP only, we usually do cost of books or if you library them, cost of cards. (we usually round them out to cover back the cost of the instructor resource disk)
For the average CAP squadron I would say Standard First Aid and CPR/AED is the only course you need to worry about.  (if you have the members with additional medical skills, I would consider the Wilderness first aid and professional rescuer CPR)
Additional cost would include the need for manikins and an AED trainer if you dont have a borrow-able source......

MK

PS-I would look into personal liability insurance as an instructor, just in case
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

LSThiker

Thanks for the information.  Had not thought of the Liability (Malpractice) Insurance.  Generally speaking (understanding that rates vary depending on a lot of situations) about how much for a person teaching a first aid course?

sarmed1

We allow our instructors to teach to whomever they want in addition to CAP. (They of course cant advertise themselves or teach in uniform if they arent teaching for CAP) Generally speaking, we use the guideline of $50-100 licensing fee depending on the class, and the instructors are free to charge what they want on top of that.  I use as a guide (based on what other companies I have worked for) $20-$25 per hour per instructor, $10/hour as needed if you require additional instructors.  Even though ECSI doesnt specify a student/instructor ratio like AHA, I use the 6:1 for practical skills and testing time.   I usually will drop or discount the instructor charge if teaching for other non-profits...ie BSA/GSA, church etc.

mk

LSThiker

Sorry, I meant the insurance not the hourly teaching rate.

sarmed1

oh.....
I am not sure, I havent had a instructor only policy, I used to carry a supplemental liability for my paramedic that also covered "off duty" time including teaching (but let it drop a few years back....short of cash and never remembered to renew) but it was running around $110 a year

MK