Main Menu

Starting a new unit

Started by kcebnaes, July 08, 2014, 08:16:09 PM

kcebnaes

So as the title says, I'm in the process of starting a new unit in Ohio. There seems to be a very strong interest, which is good! Anyways, are there any tips for a soon to be new Commander?
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Things™

THRAWN

Scotch helps.

Take small bites of the elephant. There is a lot that goes into starting up a new unit. How big is the cadre that you're stealing...I mean...utilizing the talents of...from an older unit? Do you have a core of experienced mentors? There are plenty of people that you could use to bounce ideas off of here, if you don't mind getting some very clear and sometimes unwelcome feedback.

Good luck...If I can do anything on this end, let me know.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

kcebnaes

I can do that! Haha!

Well...I don't think we're stealing any from any other units(the nearest is about an hour away) but with that being said, no one is going to have any CAP experience. Luckily though, my group commander has offered to send some cadets to help train my new cadets. I am totally fine with welcome AND unwelcome feedback..it all helps!
thank you so much for your offer! I may take you up on that once we get official approval for a unit!
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Various Other Things™

Alaric

Where in Ohio, I just moved to the Cincinnati area myself, what night are you meeting on?

kcebnaes

I'm actually in Ada(about two hours north of Cinci!) But I think we're going start meeting on Thursdays from 1800-2000 at Ohio Northern University.
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Various Other Things™

GroundHawg

Quote from: Alaric on July 08, 2014, 08:53:45 PM
Where in Ohio, I just moved to the Cincinnati area myself, what night are you meeting on?

I grew up there (NKY) and will be moving back in three weeks. I know almost all the local squadrons on both sides of the river and can point you in the right direction if you need any advice.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: kcebnaes on July 08, 2014, 08:57:11 PM
I'm actually in Ada(about two hours north of Cinci!) But I think we're going start meeting on Thursdays from 1800-2000 at Ohio Northern University.

Are you anywhere near Middletown?  My brother-in-law lives there.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Angus

Quote from: kcebnaes on July 08, 2014, 08:16:09 PM
So as the title says, I'm in the process of starting a new unit in Ohio. There seems to be a very strong interest, which is good! Anyways, are there any tips for a soon to be new Commander?

1. Tums  ;)
2. Good Admin Officer
3. Good Safety Officer
4. Scotch  ;)

But seriously though numbers 2 and 3 are at the top of my list.  Definitely work with some local groups to build up both the Cadet and Senior members.  One place to look for help go to a local fraternal like the Knights of Columbus, they may have kids or grandkids who are the correct age and in general groups like that are very much in line with our program. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

BFreemanMA

I've never been a commander, so I don't have any first-hand advice to offer you, but best of luck in your endeavor! If I had advice to give, it would be this: work with and trust your staff. A commander's plate is full-to-heaping with tasks to accomplish and consider. Keeping your staff in the loop with communication, delegating when necessary, and, ultimately, working as a team can make the command not only easier, but more rewarding.
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

Garibaldi

Hair dye. I've seen way too many commanders turn gray over the course of their tenure.  8)
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

jimmydeanno

A new unit needs to be honest with the new members.  It is important to let the people that are going to be helping start the unit that not everything is going to be available all at once, and that everyone is going to be in a steep learning curve together.  There isn't going to be a deep institutional knowledge and people who have been around the block available at all times. 

The honesty will go a long way in establishing your credibility, and kind of push people to do some of the heavy lifting through their own motivation.  Dive into the regulations, dive into the program descriptions, set things up, and get things rolling. 

Develop a road map of milestones over the course of a year so that by the end you have a fully functional unit that can participate in nearly everything available. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

kcebnaes

Thank you all for your help and support! It would seem I need to go buy some scotch(unless my single barrel Jack is good enough!) Seriously though, I truly appreciate all the advice! I'll keep everyone posted as this process keeps moving along!
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Various Other Things™

MSG Mac

Don"t be hesitant in asking your Group and neighboring units for help.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Are you currently or formerly a member?

"That Others May Zoom"

kcebnaes

I was a cadet. Now I'm an engaged, full time student. Don't worry though, I will have enough time for CAP!
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Various Other Things™

Eclipse

So OHWG is open to someone who is not even currently a member, and was never a senior starting a unit?

"That Others May Zoom"

kcebnaes

Is there something wrong with that? I was a Cadet before, and I'm very active in other volunteer organizations.
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Various Other Things™

Eclipse

Yes, good intentions aside.

Running a unit is a challenging proposition for an experienced member with an established support system
in place, starting one from scratch is a daunting proposition for anyone, let alone someone who has no
idea what it takes to actually run a CAP squadron.  Being a cadet gives you insight into the cadet side of being
a member, it does nothing to prepare the average cadet for being a staffer, let alone a commander.

Your best bet would be to rejoin CAP and spend a year or two getting your bearings as a senior member
and then reconsider if starting a new unit is a good idea.

OHWG has had some "challenges" in the past few years, and may be looking to grow into underserved
areas, but honestly, the Wing CC who would consider a new unit under the command of someone who
isn't even a member when the request is made is rare.

"That Others May Zoom"

kcebnaes

I did forget to mention that 1) the nearest unit is an hour away and 2) I was technically a Senior Member after high school, then I moved even further away from the unit I was with. I did forget about that one! Sorry about that!
Also, I feel like I'm at least qualified to lead the unit for awhile, until the unit is more formed!
Sorry if this seems like I'm snipping or ticked, I truly don't mean to sound it!
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Various Other Things™

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on July 10, 2014, 11:45:30 PM
So OHWG is open to someone who is not even currently a member, and was never a senior starting a unit?

It happens more often than you think.  Especially, when the proposed meeting location is more than an Hour away from the next closest Squadron.

We have a new "Flight" that is about 2.5-3 hours away from it's parent Squadron.  When they meet the criteria necessary they will apply for a Charter as a new squadron.  None of the members have been in for more than 3 months. Seniors and Cadets included.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: kcebnaes on July 11, 2014, 12:13:57 AM
Is there something wrong with that? I was a Cadet before, and I'm very active in other volunteer organizations.

It's not impossible, but it's extremely difficult. I was a cadet too (Earhart) and when I became a senior member, the experience was "day and night".

As a cadet you don't have to be knowledgeable about (almost) every regulation out there, all the different unit mandates and requirements, all the different reports and deadlines, the many restrictive cadet protection policies, safety requirements, training requirements (for cadets and seniors), property management, finance, fund raising, legal issues, etc., etc. It can be extremely overwhelming. On top of that, you'll have virtually no support as you start the unit; no experienced senior members to help with the workload, no experienced cadet cadre to help lead and train new recruits, and no one to train and mentor you, who will have to train and mentor everyone else.

Being a commander is challenging enough for experienced senior members with full staff support. For someone with virtually no experience or support it could be grueling and discouraging, to say the least. Those few who succeed do so at great personal sacrifice and expense. Are you sure you're up to the task?

Storm Chaser

By the way, I didn't mean to discourage you, but to give you a full disclaimer of what you may be getting yourself into. Best of luck with anything you decide to do.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Storm Chaser on July 11, 2014, 03:46:14 AM
By the way, I didn't mean to discourage you, but to give you a full disclaimer of what you may be getting yourself into. Best of luck with anything you decide to do.

Sound advice.  I hope this young, well-intentioned person does not bite off more than s/he can chew.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

jimmydeanno

If it's any consideration...

I was a cadet. 
I became a senior member at 21.
My first unit was on the brink of closing.
Me and my wife, over the course of a year, made it the largest unit in the wing and got a color guard to win the region competition.

Steep learning curve? Indeed.
A lot of hours? Indeed.

Initially we had no continuity, no institutional knowledge (besides our own from being cadets), and no personnel to help.  It's hard and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but if someone is up for the challenge and has a good head on their shoulders, getting to the size to establish a real charter should be feasible. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

kcebnaes

I do think I'm up to the task. I've been reading all of the regulations that I can, so I'm familiar with them before this unit becomes official. I will not lead the unit in a wrong direction, plus I'll ask for help from other Squadron commanders and the Group commander when needed.
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Various Other Things™

Storm Chaser

Just out of curiosity, for how long where you active in CAP as a cadet and what was your highest achievement and/or milestone award earned?

kcebnaes

I was a C/TSgt. While I know that isn't very far, I've been doing research on the Policies and Regulations ever since I had to leave(long story involving my parents making me quit.)
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Various Other Things™

Storm Chaser

Quote from: kcebnaes on July 11, 2014, 04:09:07 PM
I was a C/TSgt. While I know that isn't very far...

No, it isn't.

I admire your motivation and drive for starting this unit, but the fact that you have no idea about how hard it's going to be leads me to believe that you don't really know what you're getting yourself into. Perhaps you're not as ready as you think you are. Being a squadron commander is nothing like being a cadet commander (not that you said you were one). And getting familiar with regulations, while great, is no replacement for experience, which you practically have none.

You would be better off joining an established unit (even one that's an hour away) and getting some real CAP experience before embarking on a command of your own. Perhaps even being a deputy commander first. I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I firmly believe it's the best advice I can give you. Good luck.

Eclipse

Have you discussed this with the Wing CC (or Group CC of that AOR if appropriate)?

Are either or both even interested in the idea?

"That Others May Zoom"

kcebnaes

The Group CC has approved. Now we're going to start the paper work. I haven't talked to him yet if he would rather start this unit as a Flight of another Squadron or a completely separate unit in the Group. If at all possible, I'd like to start as a Flight and work towards learning more about the functions of a Senior Member, and Commanding.
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Various Other Things™

Eclipse

Quote from: kcebnaes on July 11, 2014, 06:00:14 PM
The Group CC has approved. Now we're going to start the paper work. I haven't talked to him yet if he would rather start this unit as a Flight of another Squadron or a completely separate unit in the Group. If at all possible, I'd like to start as a Flight and work towards learning more about the functions of a Senior Member, and Commanding.

A working flight of someone else's charter is the way to go - you can get reinvested in CAP, learn what you don't know,
and let someone else handle the paperwork  the first year or two.

Once you have critical mass, you can request a separate charter.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Storm Chaser on July 11, 2014, 04:26:09 PM
And getting familiar with regulations, while great, is no replacement for experience, which you practically have none.

Take it from someone with a Master rating in Administration and who has been having his brain imprinted with various CAPR's, CAPM's, etc., since the days of the Big Blue Binder - you can never be completely conversant with regulations.  And, as the Major said, it is no substitute for in-the-trenches experience.  I've got roughly 20 years in off-and-on and there's no way I can call myself a CAP "ace of the base."

Quote from: Storm Chaser on July 11, 2014, 04:26:09 PM
You would be better off joining an established unit (even one that's an hour away) and getting some real CAP experience before embarking on a command of your own. Perhaps even being a deputy commander first. I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I firmly believe it's the best advice I can give you. Good luck.

I have been a deputy commander of a squadron, and, believe me, that is enough of a potential headache, knowing that you can be called on to step in and take charge at virtually any time, with little-to-no notice.  I would again echo the Major's counsel, to start in an established squadron, to see if you have what it takes for command.  I don't, and I say that without shame.

Hopefully you can get into a good unit with a good commander who will mentor you.  They're not common, but they are there.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

kcebnaes

My main worry is that the units near by aren't up to the standard I would hope for. But, I'm planning on talking to my Group CC sometime in the next couple of hours to get his opinion!
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Various Other Things™