Main Menu

D-Day Plus 25,567

Started by Eclipse, June 06, 2014, 08:29:10 PM

Eclipse

General Dwight D. Eisenhower's D-Day Speech

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normandy_landings

Pee Wee Martin Jumps again:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/05/world/europe/d-day-paratrooper-jumps-again/

To those involved, especially anyone actually there.."thank you" seem hollow.

For the rest of us, even those in the military, I don't think we can fathom the totality of this conflict, world-wide.
Hopefully we'll never have to.

"That Others May Zoom"

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Eclipse on June 06, 2014, 08:29:10 PM

To those involved, especially anyone actually there.."thank you" seem hollow.

For the rest of us, even those in the military, I don't think we can fathom the totality of this conflict, world-wide.
Hopefully we'll never have to.
+1 from me, and a solid "Amen, brother'.

I recall my Grandmother talking about the 'total war' effect; she lived through WW1 and WW2 and I don't think for a moment that we can comprehend what that really meant - *everyone* was involved and affected, in the military or as a civilian.

I truly believe that is what Tom Brokaw meant when he coined the phrase 'The Greatest Generation'.

Garibaldi

Not for nothing, and not taking away from the great men and women fighting the GWOT, but what has this generation done except whine about what they think they are entitled to? If their grandparents and great grandparents are the Greatest Generation, then this generation is the whiniest, "gimme more for less because I deserve it for no reason"-est, not willing to put forth more than minimal effort for $15 an hour-est, wimpiest generation ever. The fact that the Greatest Generation gave their all so that these jackasses could sit on their thrones and condemn their peers for "fighting a useless war" while whining and protesting for $15 an hour for flipping burgers makes me sick.

My grandparents suffered through innumerable bad things, starting with the Depression and World War 2. They had plenty while I was growing up, but never spent a penny they didn't need to "Because you never know for sure that it won't happen again" and often suffered during the summer with no air conditioner to save a few pennies on the electricity.

Kids, young "adults" these days, don't think for a second about getting their noses out of their electricity hog PS4 or Xbox or iPhones and constantly whine if they are told to put the da** thing up and use your words to communicate at the dinner table.

I said it once, and I will say it again...if the world ends, it won't be because of a suitcase nuke or an asteroid...it'll be because the next crop of high school 'graduates' won't know enough to keep the electricity going to power the interwebs. Or they will get sucked into the matrix.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

War veteran makes great escape from care home to mark D-day anniversary
Bernard Jordan, reported missing after leaving nursing home wearing his medals, found in France at commemorations

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/06/veteran-brendan-jordan-escape-care-home-d-day-france

"That Others May Zoom"

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Eclipse on June 08, 2014, 11:06:49 PM
War veteran makes great escape from care home to mark D-day anniversary
Bernard Jordan, reported missing after leaving nursing home wearing his medals, found in France at commemorations

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/06/veteran-brendan-jordan-escape-care-home-d-day-france
:clap: :clap:

I saw this story over the w/e....wonderful!

The staff at his care home are (apparently) denying that they forbad him to attend; it was, apparently, a misunderstanding over their being unable to arrange for Mr. Jordan to join the British Legion official visit.  Clearly they misunderstood how determined a chap can be!  Good job!

Eclipse

An interesting take on both the "grit" of that generation and the non-accomplishments of the "social generation"

My Mom's Motorcycle: My Rode Reel on Vimeo

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Despite all the politics....

Minimum wage is not politics. It is well behind the curve. Know any college grads "flipping burgers"? I do. Its not because they are lazy, it is simply life circumstances.

As to what we "are" compared to what they "were", there is no such thing. Every generation has a full spectrum of people. Good, bad, ugly.

Thank you to all who gave in that conflict. My roots at the time were on the Eastern front. My family suffered quite differently. In our culture the end of WW2 will probably become a much smaller celebration with time. Such is life. Those in the moment pass away, their memory lingers, but not forever. For now, how many kids care about Dec. 7th, 1941? How about May 8/9th, 1945? Not many. Not here anyway.