Main Menu

Old uniform

Started by Nikos, May 28, 2014, 12:38:31 AM

Nikos

I was looking at some older CAP uniform pictures on another thread tonight.  They had the silver tans, or what I think was silver tans (black & white photos).  Why was the tie tucked into the shirt?  It almost seems to defeat the purpose of wearing a tie.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Nikos on May 28, 2014, 12:38:31 AM
I was looking at some older CAP uniform pictures on another thread tonight.  They had the silver tans, or what I think was silver tans (black & white photos).  Why was the tie tucked into the shirt?  It almost seems to defeat the purpose of wearing a tie.

It was the style back in the 40s and 50s to tuck in the tie. I don't know why. Perhaps it was to keep it from flapping around and beating them in the face?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Luis R. Ramos

The United States Army wore the tie that way since at least 1930 until after the Second World War. Why? Cannot say for sure.

Photos of the same period also show the other services wearing ties without being tucked in.

Whether you want to believe this or not, the United States Army intended the Service Coat to be taken to the field, but changed when the Field Coat was introduced in 1940. There were two. The second was known as the Parsons Jacket. When this happened, the Service Coat was relegated to ceremonial and office use.

I suppose that when you take an un-tucked tie to the field, there will be problems such as the wind will make it flap around, hitting you in the face. No sense having a sharp image with a tie flying in your face!

I have seen in my life, hundreds of photos of US Army soldiers of this period. In the ones where they wear ties, their ties are tucked in. One film where you can see soldiers with ties is the film This Is the Army, filmed in 1943 and available online for free. This is a musical comedy and be aware, there are soldiers wearing blackface, and others dressing like women. But it shows how the US Army Summer Uniform was worn by all soldiers.

One source with good photos is US Army Uniforms of World War Two by Shelby Stanton.

So I guess that when the CAP of the time started using the US Army uniform, they adopted the tie wear. I have seen photos of members of the new service, the United States Air Force, also wearing the tie tucked in.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Nikos on May 28, 2014, 12:38:31 AM

My dad was in the Army (AD and National Guard) between 1955-59.  I still have his Basic Training yearbook.  Virtually all of the Soldiers in there who are wearing "class B"/shirt-sleeve order have the tucked tie.

He hated wearing ties and even stipulated that he not be buried wearing one.  He said he figured out a way to tie his just enough to be able to actually leave the top button of his shirt open...and it fooled his First Sergeant!
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SarDragon

We were still wearing tucked in ties when I joined in '64, but we quit wearing that uniform not long after that.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Panache

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on May 28, 2014, 12:59:49 AM
Whether you want to believe this or not, the United States Army intended the Service Coat to be taken to the field, but changed when the Field Coat was introduced in 1940. There were two. The second was known as the Parsons Jacket. When this happened, the Service Coat was relegated to ceremonial and office use.

Because if they're going to have to beat back The Hun, they're going to do it in style.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: SarDragon on May 28, 2014, 03:55:34 AM
We were still wearing tucked in ties when I joined in '64, but we quit wearing that uniform not long after that.

That was with the green Service Dress, right?

My dad got out in 1959 and he said that was just long enough to have to stop wearing his beloved Ike jacket and have to get "that [darn] stupid green thing."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SarDragon

Quote from: CyBorg on May 28, 2014, 05:02:40 AM

That was with the green Service Dress, right?

My dad got out in 1959 and he said that was just long enough to have to stop wearing his beloved Ike jacket and have to get "that [darn] stupid green thing."

No greens. This is CAP, not Army. Cotton khaki shirt and trousers, starched stiff. I think it was called shade 1. That was replaced by the 505s and 1505s, which were of a little looser weave, and much more comfortable.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: SarDragon on May 28, 2014, 05:45:59 AM
No greens. This is CAP, not Army. Cotton khaki shirt and trousers, starched stiff. I think it was called shade 1. That was replaced by the 505s and 1505s, which were of a little looser weave, and much more comfortable.

My misunderstanding.  I thought you were talking about joining the Army.

I readily admit that the USAF (and, by extension, CAP) uniforms of that day were a lot more attractive than they are now...visions of Strategic Air Command.

http://usafflagranks.com/
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Nikos

Thanks for the link, interesting website!

Simplex

Yep, joined in '62 and we wore the tuck in tie until the kakis went away about the time you mentioned. Didn't mind seeing them go at all.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Nikos on May 28, 2014, 11:27:11 PM

If you'll look at the ribbon rack in the picture on the home page, the purple/white diagonal striped ribbon on the lower left is the British Commonwealth DFC...meaning that the wearer had been either a member of one of the Eagle Squadrons (RAF squadrons manned by American volunteers, kind of a favourite subject of mine) or else had served in another capacity in the RAF or RCAF.

The Commonwealth DFC is a hostilities-only gallantry decoration, whereas ours does not require active operations against an enemy.  Their Air Force Cross (similar design but with red-and-white stripes) is more like that...and our Air Force Cross is a combat gallantry medal!
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Cliff_Chambliss

I remember as a cadet in the early 1960's  kahaki uniforms with so much starch they would stand up by themselves.  The "Bush Jacket" for ear after 1800hrs.  Yep, tie tucked in.  Blues included the Ike Jacket for the masses and service coat for the officers.  and the spitshined shoes.

By the mid to late 60's must of these had done the way of the Dodo.

Fast forward to mid 1980's and the "Smurf Suit"  Never wore one, someone gave my daughter one and she promptly cut it up for car was rags.  Actually there is a local A&P who still wears one as a coverall when doing dirty work on the airplanes.

This was the time when the CAP often resembled the air force of a banana republic.  It seemed that almost anything that could be hung on a uniform was.  Former military carried all their ribbons, badges, crests, etc over to the CAP Uniform.  First exposure to the Good Old Boys Club and the Not Invented Here Syndrome and decided it was not for me.

As Safety Officer and Assistant Chief Instructor for the Maxwell AFB Aero Club I watched and laughed at the "berry boards"  I asked a couple of visitors to Maxwell why they did not go for insignia red epaulets and red stripes on the pants leg at least that would recall the WWII History of the CAP.  And then those luau shirts (whoever made that decision needs to quit whatever pills they were on).

Later when my grandkids thought about joining the CAP gave it another try.  The only thing I can say about CAP now is that as an organization it has mastered putting the FUN in DysFUNctional.    (Really a safety briefing of the dangers of cooking strawberry pop-tarts in a toaster is going to enhance my airplane safety?)
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

MSG Mac

Quote from: CyBorg on May 29, 2014, 08:03:15 PM
Quote from: Nikos on May 28, 2014, 11:27:11 PM

If you'll look at the ribbon rack in the picture on the home page, the purple/white diagonal striped ribbon on the lower left is the British Commonwealth DFC...meaning that the wearer had been either a member of one of the Eagle Squadrons (RAF squadrons manned by American volunteers, kind of a favourite subject of mine) or else had served in another capacity in the RAF or RCAF.

The Commonwealth DFC is a hostilities-only gallantry decoration, whereas ours does not require active operations against an enemy.  Their Air Force Cross (similar design but with red-and-white stripes) is more like that...and our Air Force Cross is a combat gallantry medal!

The Brits awarded many DFC's and other decorations to allied officers during WW II. Not necessarily for actual service in the RAF or other branches.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member