Main Menu

Ned Lee Leaving the BoG

Started by bosshawk, May 10, 2014, 06:06:26 AM

bosshawk

About two days ago, I read a press release from Natl that announces two new members of the BoG: one of those being replaced is our LT Col Ned Lee.  I assume that he is timing out on his selection to the BoG, since I can't imagine any other reason to replace him.

Now, how will we get the correct scoop from the BoG?  Ned has been a breaath of fresh air for some time in CAP.  He also has been a terrific MC for many CAWG Wing Conference banquets.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

ZigZag911

Ned, thank you for your dedicated service and your willingness to keep us up to speed here on CT.

MSG Mac

Good Work Ned, you put a human face on the BofG!
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

jeders

Quote from: ZigZag911 on May 11, 2014, 11:30:04 PM
Ned, thank you for your dedicated service and your willingness to keep us up to speed put up with us here on CT.

FTFY.

Seriously though, thank you for your hard work and dedication to CAP and your willingness to keep us all informed.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

The CyBorg is destroyed

Many, many accolades are due to the good Colonel Lee. :clap:
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Johnny Yuma

Interdasting...

What is the term length for a bog member? Iirc has hasn't been on there all that long
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Майор Хаткевич

We had a very recent flare up over the CPP, but I just want to let the (unusually absent) Colonel that I do respect him, his contributions, and his opinions, even when we disagree publicly over some of them. I'm sure that goes for almost all of the participants in that specific topic who may have seemed to be completely aligned against the colonel.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Colonel Lee and I had significant disagreements over the CSU debacle as well, but no way would I let that diminish my respect for his service to CAP.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Ned

Thank you all for the kind words.  I was tempted to start a "so long and thanks for all the fish" thread, but decided it was not necessary since I am still around.

Post governance change, BoG terms are three years.  I was appointed in May 2010 by the NEC under the old rules for four years, and my term was simply up. 

Now I need to find a "real" CAP job.  (Since all of the other "former BoG members" are former national commanders / vice commanders  and / or region commanders, there isn't yet a strong tradition about what to do with former BoG folks.)  I may wind up back at my local squadron.

But in any event,  I'll still be here, participating if I have something to contribute.

arajca

Well, we are looking for a wing commander in CO, if you're interested in experiencing the pleasures of hypoxia.  >:D

Al Sayre

Quote from: Ned on May 13, 2014, 09:02:33 PM
Thank you all for the kind words.  I was tempted to start a "so long and thanks for all the fish" thread, but decided it was not necessary since I am still around.

Post governance change, BoG terms are three years.  I was appointed in May 2010 by the NEC under the old rules for four years, and my term was simply up. 

Now I need to find a "real" CAP job.  (Since all of the other "former BoG members" are former national commanders / vice commanders  and / or region commanders, there isn't yet a strong tradition about what to do with former BoG folks.)  I may wind up back at my local squadron.

But in any event,  I'll still be here, participating if I have something to contribute.

National Vice Commander has a nice ring to it...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

dwb

I could use an assistant on the VAWG CP staff...  8)

LSThiker

Hmmm, well Wing Commander, Region Commander, National Commander.  That seems like your "career" progression :)

Chappie

Ned ... whether you post something or not, you always contribute to the betterment of CAP and its members.  Having known you for several years now (not as long as others in this forum though) and served with you in various events, you never cease to amaze (and amuse) us with wit and wisdom -- and have a knack of bringing out the best in people.   Don't for one minute underestimate the contribution you made and continue to make.   
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

The CyBorg is destroyed

I didn't call him "Jedi Master Ned" for nothing. 8)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

MSG Mac

If it weren't for the fact that you were on the BofG when nominations were solicited I could see you as the National Vice Commaner.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

PHall

You guys want to thank Ned in a way he likes?   Buy him a Guiness or two!!!! :clap:

JeffDG

Quote from: LSThiker on May 13, 2014, 10:05:56 PM
Hmmm, well Wing Commander, Region Commander, National Commander.  That seems like your "career" progression :)
God, what did he do to you that you'd condemn him to that?

BillB

Ned......You could continue to do what you did on the BoG. I'm sure there is some local Squadron that needs a LCol to make coffee.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I was tempted to start a "so long and thanks for all the fish" thread,...

And a Douglas Adams fan as well.  ;D ;D

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: JeffDG on May 14, 2014, 01:03:28 AM
Quote from: LSThiker on May 13, 2014, 10:05:56 PM
God, what did he do to you that you'd condemn him to that?

Like my first Squadron CC who then became a Wing Commander.  I said to him, "Sir, probably one day we'll be seeing stars (back then Nat CC only had one star) on your shoulders."

He looked at me and very dryly said, "Lieutenant, I will try to forget you said that."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

BuckeyeDEJ

What does a Board of Governors member do once he's no longer on the board?

Go to Disney World!

Welcome to Florida, Col. Lee. Enjoy your stay.  8)

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

PHall

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on May 15, 2014, 07:15:47 PM

Go to Disney World!

He almost lives at Disneyland in Anaheim, California.

bosshawk

PHall: when did Ned leave San Jose?
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SarDragon

Anaheim is closer to San Jose than is Orlando. Being in the same state constitutes almost.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: bosshawk on May 16, 2014, 02:20:03 AM
PHall: when did Ned leave San Jose?

He still lives in Morgan Hill, but he seems to visit Disneyland about every other month.

NIN

Quote from: PHall on May 16, 2014, 03:33:33 AM

He still lives in Morgan Hill, but he seems to visit Disneyland about every other month.

San Jose to John Wayne Airport is relatively inexpensive via SWA. Cheaper than driving I think.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

Quote from: NIN on May 16, 2014, 11:06:41 AM
Quote from: PHall on May 16, 2014, 03:33:33 AM

San Jose to John Wayne Airport is relatively inexpensive via SWA. Cheaper than driving I think.

Depends on what you drive, but generally correct.

Plane fare - $70
Prius gas - $40
Suburban gas - $120
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

You forgot all the time it takes to get from San Jose to Anaheim. The value of Ned's time in addition to the gas. If it takes 8 hours to drive, but only 3 hours to fly.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Garibaldi

Man, what a "retirement" package... :clap:
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Chappie

Quote from: Garibaldi on May 16, 2014, 08:37:29 PM
Man, what a "retirement" package... :clap:

Actually I think it is mandated time off -- thanks to the California budget.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: PHall on May 16, 2014, 12:27:49 AM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on May 15, 2014, 07:15:47 PM

Go to Disney World!

He almost lives at Disneyland in Anaheim, California.

Yeah, but even ol' Walt himself didn't like Disneyland. That's why he bought nearly 25,000 acres west of Orlando.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Eclipse

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on May 17, 2014, 04:47:20 PM
Yeah, but even ol' Walt himself didn't like Disneyland. That's why he bought nearly 25,000 acres west of Orlando.

I've been to both, Land as a kid, World as an adult.

Land is clearly the first draft.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

I have been to DisneyWorld as a young kid, not long after it opened, I think (1973).  It was a fraction of what it is now.

I have never been to Disneyland.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

lordmonar

I've been to world, land, Tokyo Disneyland, Disneyland Paris, Disney Sea.......I got to say that Disney World is the best all around experience....but they are all worth going to.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

I / we made the mistake a few years ago of following up an awesome Disney World trip with
a local day at Great America - a park I had always thought was just fine.

When you see what Disney does in terms of experience and maintenance, it's hard to go anywhere else.
GA was a broken-down hole in comparison, I literally have no interest in ever going there again,
even though they have a great rep and no issues with those who don't know what the steak tastes like.

Disney is to other parks what Vegas is to other gambling strips like Atlantic City or Reno.  Simply in a class by itself.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

Agree.

I have been to Walt Disney World at least twice if not thrice. Once went to Fantasy Land, then to Epcot on one-day visits. Now my girlfriend and me are planning on a week-long stay. One-day trips do not allow you to see even a quarter of what happens there!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Alaric

Regardless of the state Lt. Col Lee goes too, I am sure he can remain doing his fine job as a CAP apologist.  Kudos to you.

dwb

Quote from: Alaric on May 17, 2014, 07:11:01 PM
Regardless of the state Lt. Col Lee goes too, I am sure he can remain doing his fine job as a CAP apologist.  Kudos to you.

I'd like to compare Ned's contributions toward the betterment of CAP to yours (or just about anyone else's). Or were you just complaining for the sake of complaining?

Alaric

Quote from: dwb on May 17, 2014, 10:02:42 PM
Quote from: Alaric on May 17, 2014, 07:11:01 PM

I'd like to compare Ned's contributions toward the betterment of CAP to yours (or just about anyone else's). Or were you just complaining for the sake of complaining?

I wasn't complaining at all, he is a self proclaimed CAP apologist and I was stating that that could continue wherever he lived. 

Luis R. Ramos

Alaric-

When most some people use the term "apologist," it is usually in a negative term. In line with "mouthpiece," "hack." In other words, someone that has sold his soul to the company or point of view. It may not have been what you meant but that is probably what dwb perceived thought.

If you would have intended it in a negative way, I am sure you would not have ended it as "Kudos to you." [Edited for minor editorial changes and one addition]
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Ned

In all fairness, it is a term I have used to describe myself when explaining unpopular positions here.  I certainly took no offense.

And, yes, as a former Disneyland employee, I am fond of the place.  It holds countless special memories for me.  And these days, it holds a fair amount of my money, too.

Eclipse

Quote from: Ned on May 17, 2014, 11:40:07 PM
And, yes, as a former Disneyland employee, I am fond of the place.

Does your awesome have limits?  MAN!

"That Others May Zoom"

CAPAPRN

It was Nineteen Seventy- something and I had just graduated from U.S. Navy boot camp in Orlando Florida, and the culmination was a trip to Disney World. What do they do now - tour the Chicago stock yards? Oh well, all things change, so long Ned, fair winds and following seas.
Capt. Carol A Whelan CAP CTWG,
CTWG Asst. Director of Communications
CTWG Director of Admin & Personnel
Commander NER-CT-004
DCS CTWG 2015 Encampment

BillB

CAPAPRN...DFid you know that Orlando Naval Training Center  used to be Orlando Air Force Base? And in the 70's it was still Florida Wing CAP Headquarters before it moved to McCoy AFB. When USAF closed Oralando AFB and the Navy took over, two USAF units remained on the base. One was CAP-USAF Liaison Office and Headquarters FLWG, and theother was a USAF Research Unit (don't remember it's name)
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: BillB on May 18, 2014, 12:11:23 PM
CAPAPRN...DFid you know that Orlando Naval Training Center  used to be Orlando Air Force Base? And in the 70's it was still Florida Wing CAP Headquarters before it moved to McCoy AFB. When USAF closed Oralando AFB and the Navy took over, two USAF units remained on the base. One was CAP-USAF Liaison Office and Headquarters FLWG, and theother was a USAF Research Unit (don't remember it's name)

NTC Orlando (Orlando AFB 1947-1967) was in Winter Park, and its Army-era airstrip is now Orlando Executive Airport. The CAP-USAF Florida offices are indeed in a VA building on that site, after having left NTC Orlando for McCoy in 1971. NTC Orlando had an annex on what was McCoy AFB (now you know where the MCO identifier for Orlando International comes from).

AlphaSigOU

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040