*NEW* Android Map Software Using C.A.P's Grid System

Started by docfate, April 02, 2014, 09:19:59 PM

docfate

Hello Everyone,

I have recently released a mapping software for Android Phones and Tablets.

This Android App has the Civil Air Patrol Grid already setup on 4 different types of maps.

Having done several SAREX's and Actual Missions, I know that sometimes the hardest part
of planning, is trying to get up to date maps of the terrain around.  This also is especially hard
for UDF teams, not just Ground Teams.

For Air Crews, this will give a good way to see what the ground teams are looking at, since we
tend to fly using Aerial Sectional Maps, which can be a challenge sometimes for Ground Teams.

I would recommend everyone that is involved in Emergency Services check it out.

Right now, I have put up the APP for "California Wing", but am planning (if the demand is there)
to release a version for each Wing.  The more demand there is for a particular wing, the more priority
I will give releasing that Wings.

Here is the page on Google Play for everyone to look at.  I have screen shots on there for anyone that
is curious, and isn't in California Wing, but might want one for theirs.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.emergencyservicescalifornia

If you have any questions, feel free to write me back, I look forward to any an all questions.

Eusebio Preciado
1st Lieutenant
Squadron 137
California Wing

Al Sayre

Looks pretty cool.  Let me know when you get around to the Southeast.  Here in MS, we need 4 Sectionals to cover all of our AO... 
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

docfate

Quote from: Al Sayre on April 02, 2014, 09:28:43 PM
Looks pretty cool.  Let me know when you get around to the Southeast.  Here in MS, we need 4 Sectionals to cover all of our AO...

In California Wing we use 2 Sectionals (LAX and SFO), Los Angeles and San Francisco.

I have no problems starting the next one in your area.  I will put you down for 1 vote to start in Mississippi.  :)

Tim Medeiros

TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

pierson777

SarDragon

Quote from: docfate on April 02, 2014, 09:46:47 PM

In California Wing we use 2 Sectionals (LAX and SFO), Los Angeles and San Francisco.

I have no problems starting the next one in your area.  I will put you down for 1 vote to start in Mississippi.  :)

Actually it requires five sectionals to cover all of California - LA, Phoenix, Las Vegas, SF, and Klamath Falls.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

docfate

Quote from: SarDragon on April 02, 2014, 10:28:14 PM
Quote from: docfate on April 02, 2014, 09:46:47 PM

Actually it requires five sectionals to cover all of California - LA, Phoenix, Las Vegas, SF, and Klamath Falls.

You are right that parts of Phoenix, Las Vegas and Klamath Falls overlap into California.
I am adding those over lapping sections soon, and they will be upgraded in the program soon.

However, for 90% of SARs and SAREX's, LAX and SFO are the one's used the most. 

KF6YVD

Would absolutely be interested in seeing this include New Mexico!
Steven A. Lindquist
SWR-NM-811 Communications Officer
SWR-NM-811 Information Technologies Officer
SWR-NM-811 Asst. Cadet Programs Officer
SWR-NM-811 Asst. Leadership Officer
Amateur Radio Callsign - KF6YVD

Panache

Oooh.  I would like to put in a vote for PAWG.

Also, maybe TXWG and INWG would be a good idea, too, since they both have ES academies located in their state.

JeffDG

Hell, my house is on 3 sectionals (ATL, LUK and STL)

AlphaSigOU

Ditto with Alabama Wing... covered by Atlanta, New Orleans and Memphis sectionals!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Al Sayre

You could cover Mississippi and Alabama in one swoop by adding the Houston sectional...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Desert Dawg

Ken Smith, Major. CAP
Tucson, Az

scooter

docfate

People asked for it, so here it is.

Arizona's got their very own "Emergency Services" GPS Grid Map now.

I made some improvements over the California one (which will be implemented soon).

Here is the link for the Arizona Wing Play Store Page.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.emergencyservicesarizona

As, always if anyone has any questions, comments, or suggestions for improving this app, I am all ears.

Eusebio Preciado
1st Lieutenant
Squadron 137
California Wing

Jaison009

I would like to see one for Arkansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma.

Quote from: docfate on April 02, 2014, 09:19:59 PM
Hello Everyone,

This Android App has the Civil Air Patrol Grid already setup on 4 different types of maps.

Having done several SAREX's and Actual Missions, I know that sometimes the hardest part
of planning, is trying to get up to date maps of the terrain around.  This also is especially hard

For Air Crews, this will give a good way to see what the ground teams are looking at, since we
tend to fly using Aerial Sectional Maps, which can be a challenge sometimes for Ground Teams.

Right now, I have put up the APP for "California Wing", but am planning (if the demand is there)
to release a version for each Wing.  The more demand there is for a particular wing, the more priority

Here is the page on Google Play for everyone to look at.  I have screen shots on there for anyone that

If you have any questions, feel free to write me back, I look forward to any an all questions.

Eusebio Preciado
1st Lieutenant
Squadron 137
California Wing

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Devil Doc

Charlotte Sectional Please :)

And if your in the mood

ATL, Washington, and Cini :)
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

docfate

Montana's got their very own "Emergency Services" GPS Grid Map now.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.emergencyservicesmontana

Don't forget then is also an Arizona Grid Map version

As well as a California version!

As, always if anyone has any questions, comments, or suggestions for improving this app, I am all ears.

Eusebio Preciado
1st Lieutenant
Squadron 137
California Wing

Devil Doc

Great Apps. Hopefully we can get them all over the US, I know it must take days or weeks to make just one of these.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

docfate

Yes, it does take a lot of time for me to get a new version for each Wing.

Especially since I do not do coding for a living.  I have a small business that I run, so coding
can only be done when I have time, which isn't every day, and only in the evenings when my
other responsibilities allow.

With each version I am also working out bugs that may be creeping into the other version and
fixing the other version I have out already.

Right now I am working on the Minnesota Wing.

Eusebio Preciado
1st Lieutenant
Squadron 137
California Wing

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 30, 2014, 11:45:34 AM
Great Apps. Hopefully we can get them all over the US, I know it must take days or weeks to make just one of these.

a2capt

Wouldn't it just be simpler to publish one application that uses whatever data is thrown at it? I don't see other map products having different builds for each area covered.

Devil Doc

Former HM3, U.S NAVY

a2capt

Add in an indexing system for data sets, and improvements needed to support each go in the same code base, make one build. There will be instances where data is needed that crosses the chart boundaries.

brent.teal

would love one for pennsylvania.  That would be NYC and Washington sections.  Cincinnati too I think.
Brent Teal, Captain. CAP
NER-PA-102 Deputy Commander, Communications officer, or whatever else needs doing.

docfate

The program would get way too huge to have all of the US data on it.
It would make the app slow and useless, and of course would take up way too
much space on a phone or tablet's limited resources.

Also, why would anyone want all of that cumbersome data that they will never use.

Quote from: a2capt on May 01, 2014, 04:29:30 PM
Add in an indexing system for data sets, and improvements needed to support each go in the same code base, make one build. There will be instances where data is needed that crosses the chart boundaries.

docfate

Minnesota's got their very own "Emergency Service" GPS Grid Map now.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.emergencyservicesminnesota

Don't forget there is also a Montana Grid Maps version
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.emergencyservicesmontana

Also there is an Arizona Grid Map version

And last, but not least, California Grid Map version

Eusebio Preciado
1st Lieutenant
Squadron 137
California Wing

kevo77

Like the app.  Couple of future feature requests.  Reduce the size of the shield (present position) so it doesn't cover up local important map detail.  Include sectional charts as optional map types.  Record and playback tracks. 
Again, great app.  Keep working at it!

AirAux

Garibaldi

Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

nomad129

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations; we fall to the level of our training."

Jaison009

Any movement for AR, MO, OK? I know we could use it.

Quote from: Jaison009 on April 21, 2014, 04:26:40 AM
I would like to see one for Arkansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma.

Quote from: docfate on April 02, 2014, 09:19:59 PM
Hello Everyone,

Eusebio Preciado
1st Lieutenant
Squadron 137
California Wing

brent.teal

Brent Teal, Captain. CAP
NER-PA-102 Deputy Commander, Communications officer, or whatever else needs doing.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

You could do CT, MA and RI or even all of New England ( + VT, NH, ME) as 1 app  ;D

planenut767

IF you ever do the New York or the Washington sectionals, they'd very much be appreciated.

stp2bfre

Would love one for AL/GA/TN as we do joint Exercise on a regular basis.  Thanks.

2d Lt Robert Thomas, CAP
Communications/Safety/Asst. ES Officer
Columbus Composite Squadron, SER-GA-098
Group VI - Georgia Wing
robert.e.thomas.ga-098@gawg.cap.gov
2d Lt Robert Thomas, CAP
Communications/Safety/Asst. ES Officer
Columbus Composite Squadron, SER-GA-098
Group VI - Georgia Wing
robert.e.thomas.ga-098@gawg.cap.gov

Ed Bos

You can also check out Scott Lanis' website: www.cap-es.net.

He's got a lot of good resources on there as well.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

SarDragon

I just put a new app on my Android phone that has CAP grids in it - Avare. You can d/l individual sectionals, and turn the grids on/off. NOT usable for navigation, per the install notes.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Capt Thompson

+1 for Avare, just started using it a few weeks ago and it's great! I know it says you can't use it for nav, but it seems pretty accurate so far. Thinking of getting an external bluetooth GPS receiver which would make it much more accurate.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

winterg

I just downloaded it out of curiosity and it is super easy to use. Found the CAP overly with no trouble. I particularly like the ability to write directly on it and screen shot it. Great use of the modern digital age.