Main Menu

New AEO

Started by flyboy_x, March 03, 2014, 01:26:06 AM

flyboy_x

Hello all,

I am SO GLAD I found this forum.

Prior to joining This squadron I had no real AE program to speak of.  I have an aviation background so I said I'm interested in the AE program.  Well, 30 days later, I was assigned to be the AEO.

I came in to my Squadron with no real experience teaching cadets. I was a cadet as a kid so I know how it's suppose to look (20 years ago).  I've given some lessons based on the modules, and have also done a few AEX.

My question is, what is the best way to please all the cadets?  The officers are bored, and the newb's are getting blasted with the fire hose. 

Also, coming up with lessons with not a lot of time to plan them (family and work) is challenging. 

I also need a good lesson (topic) for Tuesday nights meeting.  Nothing big.  Also could I get a suggestion on a fun project or activity to do with paper airplanes.

Thanks all,
Kurt
2nd Lt CO-143

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyboy_x

I would.. but.. you should of seen the eye glaze when I tried to explain Magnetic Deviation and Variation...  The Chief actually said, no offense Lt Carlson but we're just a bunch of teenagers..

OMG  LOL....

KC

flyboy_x

SarDragon,

I do like the wingtip vorticies and wingtip device discussion.

KC

SarDragon

Quote from: kcarlson on March 03, 2014, 01:56:29 AM
I would.. but.. you should of seen the eye glaze when I tried to explain Magnetic Deviation and Variation...  The Chief actually said, no offense Lt Carlson but we're just a bunch of teenagers..

OMG  LOL....

KC

Yeah, that's teenagers being lazy, to a certain extent.

Was the material presented at their level? I would teach that concept very differently to teens than I would to adults.

You gotta tell them why it's useful to them, first, then how to use the info. Use a little humour, and get them involved in the presentation. Ask questions as you go along.

In general, check out AFMAN 36-2236 - Guidebook for Air Force Instructors , specifically Chapters 13 and 14. It's a lot to digest, but that's how "The Pros From Dover" get it done.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

I showed up to a senior squadron meeting wearing the t-shirt, and then discussed it for about 15 minutes. It went over well, and got a fair number of Qs from the non-pilot portion of the group.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyboy_x

Thanks. 

I'm not a dry speaker by any means.  But I am still getting my speaking under control.  Practice practice practice.

So how would you explain that shirt?

Kc

flyboy_x

Hey SarDragon,

Thanks for the link to the AF doc.  Man, your right, that is a lot to absorb but I'm sure it will be useful.

KC

CAP_truth

National website has numerous modules on AE, lesson plans for schools that could be used. Also enroll in AEX program. If you need assistant contact your wing's DAE for help.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

SarDragon

Quote from: kcarlson on March 03, 2014, 02:27:43 AM
Thanks. 

I'm not a dry speaker by any means.  But I am still getting my speaking under control.  Practice practice practice.

So how would you explain that shirt?

Kc

For cadets?

Ask how many think it's a kool shirt.

Use a white board or easel chart to write on, and discuss the different parts of the equation. Point out that lift increases at a higher rate with an increase in speed than it does with wing area. Use the planform of three planes - a glider, a Cessna 1xx, and an F-104 - to show how wing shape affects lift (aspect ratio). Introduce induced drag. Move on to wing tip devices.

Make it as long or short as you think you need. I had 15 minutes, so I didn't go very in depth. Ask overhead Qs - Why do you think X happens? What's the difference between Y and Z? Get them involved in the discussion.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

UH60guy

I did a lesson once on helicopters, and we got into talking about design trade offs and why jack of all trades aircraft are never really that great at everything. I sensed a future lesson there and maybe you can run with it. Bear with me here, I'll tie that in to your wing stuff... I apologize for random thoughts on advance too, I'm typing on the iPhone.

Start the class by asking what the best aircraft is, and have cadets explain their answers. Most will say something like F-22 or some other popular fighter. Notice a fighter can't carry tons of cargo like a C-5, which in turn can't make a short field landing like a C-130, which can't carry as many passengers as a 747, and so on. This demonstrates that any aircraft is designed around a capability- that's why we have passenger planes, spy planes, fighters, bombers, and more- most of those are great at one thing but bad at others.

Use something like that to take it into a design exercise- you can talk about wing shapes (high aspect ratio for cruising, swept for maneuverability, dihedral for stability, etc) and have the cadets help you "design" a few aircraft on a white board.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

SarDragon

That's a good lesson on its own, or as a follow-on to the wings material. "Why are helicopter rotor blades long and skinny? You can spin them faster if they are shorter."
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyboy_x

Quote from: CAP_truth on March 03, 2014, 02:58:45 AM
National website has numerous modules on AE, lesson plans for schools that could be used. Also enroll in AEX program. If you need assistant contact your wing's DAE for help.

Great brainstorming guys!  I like it!

I've taught out of the AEX books.  It's all good stuff. 

Thanks for the tips.

Aggie94

Look at AE modules and the hands on activities. I have found the more active the cadets they will stay involved in the lesson. The other is have fun. If you are excited about the lesson the cadets will be too.

NC Hokie

There's been a lot of good info shared so far, but I specifically want to address this statement:

Quote from: kcarlson on March 03, 2014, 01:26:06 AM
My question is, what is the best way to please all the cadets?  The officers are bored, and the newb's are getting blasted with the fire hose.

There's not much you can do about things if teaching from the AE modules is a fire hose for the newer cadets, but the fix for the bored officers is pretty easy.

"Hey there, Cadet Captain Bored, you'll be teaching aerospace education next month.  Here's the material, and I expect to see a copy of your lesson plan two weeks from today.  Don't laugh Cadet Lieutenant Giggles, you're next."
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

flyboy_x

Awesome!   Awesome!  I like it.

BFreemanMA

Also, NHQ has a free STEM kit program whereby squadron AEOs can order a ready-to-go kit that their squadron can work on. The ladies running the program are absolutely fantastic, and the kits are very well done and can easily spark a cadet's interest in STEM topics. The link for more information and to order can be found on eServices under STEM kits. If you have any questions, let me know, as I am a happy customer!
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

Cliff_Chambliss

here is a well developed site for aerodynamics.

http://www.av8n.com/how/
or

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/index.html

Also, if you are into Powerpoint, you can go to http://thecfi.com and find tons of FAA Safety Seminar presentations (as well as links to the above two sites). 
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.