"Expendable property" Definition

Started by a2capt, February 07, 2014, 06:35:40 AM

a2capt

Is there an actual definition somewhere on what "Expendable property" is? 174-1 is not really clear, other than Expendable Property is not entered in ORMS.

..and any non-Expendable property should be entered in ORMS, and property tags requested from LG/NHQ - lg@capnhq.gov.

Where would items like RC aircraft kits, RC simulator software, Lego Mindstorms sets, bought with unit funds for cadet activities, in the $100-$350 range, and generally not meant to be consumed and could have an infinite service life, fall into play?

Looking in ORMS, I don't see any nouns, makes or models that apply to any of this kind of stuff, and it says to again, contact lg@capnhq.gov for additions to the list.

Surely we can't be the first to acquire items such as this.. with the emphasis on 'STEM' related activities and education coming, I'm sure we're not going to be the only ones with equipment in this realm.

Lord of the North

From CAPR 174-1 Attachment 1

Expendable property – Property that does not meet criteria for non-expendable property.

Non-expendable property – Property that:
a. is complete in itself
b. is of a durable nature
c. has a continuing use
d. is not consumed in use
e. does not become a fixture or lose its identity as a component of another item
f. has an expected service life of 1 or more years
g. has an initial unit acquisition cost of more than $500.

Eclipse

Wow, that $500 opens a lot of stuff to being "expendable", even most notebook computers.

For some reason I thought the number was $250.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on February 07, 2014, 01:51:12 PM
Wow, that $500 opens a lot of stuff to being "expendable", even most notebook computers.

For some reason I thought the number was $250.
Don't have the reg in front of me, but funding source sometimes requires ORMS entry as non-expendable.

For example, we have some SPOT trackers that we bought with state funding that we've had to input in ORMS, because they were funded with state money.

You know what would work really well for most squadron functions...Chromebooks...they're cheap, do internet, with Google Apps do basic word processing/spreadsheet functions

rmutchler

The downside to the Chromebooks is they would require internet access.  Some squadrons don't have WiFi at their meeting location.

JeffDG

Quote from: rmutchler on February 07, 2014, 02:39:40 PM
The downside to the Chromebooks is they would require internet access.  Some squadrons don't have WiFi at their meeting location.
One of the reasons I said "most"!

Need to get away from "We can't do this because not everyone can do it this way" and build some flexibility and good judgement into decision-making.  If 80% of your units can run on a $200 Chromebook, and the other 20% need a $800 Dell, fine...your cost per unit is now $320 per unit, and you are still 60% cheaper (and can put computers in 2 1/2x as many units for the same money) than you were before.

Eclipse

+1

Most can use a Chromebook, and the rest can use a netbook or similar consumer-grade $300 notebook.

I also shed a tear when I see all that perfectly servicable equipment going back because it's "olde".
Those shiny-blue Toshibas, warts and all, still work fine for presentations and online testing, and I only gave up the
gold one I had after being restrained.

"They don't have Windows 7 and Office 2010".  Hint, that's a feature not a detraction.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

I saw that table, basically- it has to meet points A-G, all of them? So if we spent $2,000 on 5 items, but each unit is $350, it's below the $500 ..

That $500 must have been raised along with the $500 that requires finance meeting minutes, when that used to be $250.

But other points could be met quite well, and some may also argue that the components by their nature are designed to be consumed.  But if operated carefully, they have an infinite lifespan.

SarDragon

Maybe 'indefinite' instead of 'infinite'? :-)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

I tend to use the term in the context of it's "not a finite description", or infinity.

Taken care of, things can last forever. Clash of words.

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on February 07, 2014, 03:49:28 PM
+1

Most can use a Chromebook, and the rest can use a netbook or similar consumer-grade $300 notebook.

I also shed a tear when I see all that perfectly servicable equipment going back because it's "olde".
Those shiny-blue Toshibas, warts and all, still work fine for presentations and online testing, and I only gave up the
gold one I had after being restrained.

"They don't have Windows 7 and Office 2010".  Hint, that's a feature not a detraction.
When I was the Wing DC, I had an old one hidden in a closet so nobody could take it...it has a real-live serial port on it.

a2capt

Not the one I just turned in.. that I wanted to use for radio programming.