Main Menu

In-Person briefs (what counts?)

Started by FloridaCaptain, December 21, 2013, 07:36:06 AM

FloridaCaptain

If there is a husband and wife can the wife give and log a safety brief conducted outside normal meetings in which just she and her husband are participating?  Is this legal under regulations?  Does the Commander have recourse if she does not like it? 

Thanks for your input.  (Be brutal if you want)  ;D

Luis R. Ramos

She can...

For the appearances, she should not!

What can the commander do? Institute procedures, Operating Instructions stating this should not happen...

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

arajca

Why? If just he needs it, 10-15 minutes doing an online safety brief covers it. Now, if it was a scheduled one where everyone in the unit who needed it was invited and only he showed up, fine.

Eclipse

You can play games with the regs and do things you know aren't "square", or in this case, just take
a 5-minute quiz on knife safety.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

There's improper things, and there's things that appear to be improper. The perception of  "special treatment" is often associated with the latter category.

A long time ago, in the days of Catholic School, a quartet of us got "busted" for talking in church, only problem was, it was not three of us, at all. The one doing the chatty cathy bit was farthest from the aisle, and communicating with another couple girls in the pew ahead of them. But without leaning forward, rather sneaking in windy whispers during loud passages from the speaking up front.

Another nun came over, just as two of us turned towards the girls and motioned to "shut up!", which did not include the other one sitting between the two that turned, and the talker, but since they were "blocked in", that assumed they were involved.  The nun said, "you four. Come out here now", and when she realized that the girl at the end was the 7th grade (our class) teachers's daughter, she tried to motion her back, and 'release' her from the impending punishment. I said to that, "no, you said four. She's number four. She was the one talking. Don't try to let her off because she's the teacher's kid".

Screwed. ;-)

The other two backed me up, and we all got brought to the office. "Your punishment is to recite the preamble and section I of the US constitution, in front of everyone, before next week's mass begins".

Come next Thursday, we found out that she got to recite it to her father, at home, the night before, the she would not be joining us. Special treatment. Bull pucky. I said, "no, then I'm not doing it either. I want to recite to someone at home, too. They can send a note. Or we all do it at the same time." The other two joined in. 

Got sent over to another bench along the wall.. where I likened it to Group W.

After a bit of hand flailing exchange at the back of the church with the teacher, the principal, and someone else, mass started, and we were dismissed to class afterwards. Never heard a word about it again. She was not going to get up there and do it. We all think she never did it at all, figuring she'd get out of it.

JoeTomasone

Just have him go on eServices and take one of the safety courses there.  Problem solved, appearance of impropriety avoided.

a2capt

..and if a unit commander has a fit over that, they can take it up with NHQ, as it would be a matter of a supplement needing to be published since that would be making things harder than the published regulation. The same regulation that supports an in-person briefing. Though the only thing is, does it say "at a CAP event"? One could argue that the two of them at the dinner table is not an event.