Main Menu

Helicopters?

Started by sarmed1, December 12, 2013, 12:36:42 AM

Panache

While I'm not a pilot myself, I have heard that, generally speaking, most pilots usually don't transition well between the two (fixed wing and rotary wing) aircraft due to the completely different control schemes.

Any truth to that, or is that bunk?

sardak

The DoD annually publishes the reimbursable rates for fixed and rotary wing aircraft. There are four categories of rates: DoD, other Federal, FMS, everyone else.  http://comptroller.defense.gov/rates/fy2014.html

For 2014, the base O&M hourly rates for all users are as follows:

OH-58C  $1,615
OH-58D  $2,373

For comparison, the base rate for a T-41D (C-172) is $40.

For all non-DoD customers, added hourly costs are for personnel and asset utilization (also shown in the charts).

Mike

AirAux

If I recall correctly, FAA used to require 10 hours of flight time in rotor wing if one had a fixed wing pvt. pilot license to become qualified.  Of course, one must pass the flight exam and for most that would require more than 10 hours of flight time..  Both arms and both legs go in different directions while the mind is at least 1/10 second ahead of the rotor at all times (oh, don't forget the left hand is either rolling on or off the throttle)... But after a while it becomes second nature... Sure if your second nature is strange to begin with..  Great deal of fun, VERY EXPENSIVE fun, best obtained while in the military.. 

bosshawk

Panache: the Army has a significant number of its pilots who are dual-rated in both fixed and rotary winged aircraft.  There probably are far fewer civilian pilots who hold both ratings: mostly because it is VERY expensive and takes lots of time.  I believe that all Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps pilots are fixed wing rated first and then go into helicopters.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Flying Pig

I fly both on a regular basis.  Often times I've flown both airplanes and helicopters several times in the same day.   Never had an issue. 

ol'fido

Quote from: ColonelJack on December 12, 2013, 11:05:28 AM
Any time I think of helicopters, I think of this ...

http://youtu.be/lf3mgmEdfwg

Jack
This is what I think about when I think of helicopters. A holdover from my cadet days...

Apocalypse Now/Ride Of The Valkyries
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

bosshawk

Randy: you have never seen helicopters until you see 50 Hueys in formation.  Saw that every once in awhile when I was in VN.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Flying Pig

Quote from: AirAux on December 12, 2013, 08:29:25 PM
If I recall correctly, FAA used to require 10 hours of flight time in rotor wing if one had a fixed wing pvt. pilot license to become qualified.  Of course, one must pass the flight exam and for most that would require more than 10 hours of flight time..  Both arms and both legs go in different directions while the mind is at least 1/10 second ahead of the rotor at all times (oh, don't forget the left hand is either rolling on or off the throttle)... But after a while it becomes second nature... Sure if your second nature is strange to begin with..  Great deal of fun, VERY EXPENSIVE fun, best obtained while in the military..

If you have a private airplane, its 35hrs I believe for the add on.  When I did mine, my check ride was my 41st hour.  In turbine helicopters, you don't manipulate the throttle while you are flying.  There is either OFF, FLIGHT IDLE or FLIGHT (full throttle)  Helicopters don't take any longer to learn than airplanes and aren't any harder to fly.  But you don't release a 40hr airplane private pilot loose on fire fighting in an Air Tractor either.  No different with a helicopter.  You don't get your private add on and then head off to do a SAR in the mountains.   "Flying" a helicopter is pretty straight forward.  "WORKING" a helicopter is a different story.

Panache

Quote from: bosshawk on December 12, 2013, 09:10:42 PM
Panache: the Army has a significant number of its pilots who are dual-rated in both fixed and rotary winged aircraft.

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 12, 2013, 11:56:08 PM
I fly both on a regular basis.  Often times I've flown both airplanes and helicopters several times in the same day.   Never had an issue.

Okay, so like a great many things that "they say", this is bunk.  Thanks for the clarification. 

ol'fido

Quote from: bosshawk on December 13, 2013, 04:39:16 AM
Randy: you have never seen helicopters until you see 50 Hueys in formation.  Saw that every once in awhile when I was in VN.
Paul, the most I ever saw was about 10. The 25th ID still had them when I was there. It was a toss up when we had airlift scheduled what we would get.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

LTC Don

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 13, 2013, 04:41:46 AM
Quote from: AirAux on December 12, 2013, 08:29:25 PM

If you have a private airplane, its 35hrs I believe for the add on.  When I did mine, my check ride was my 41st hour.  In turbine helicopters, you don't manipulate the throttle while you are flying.  There is either OFF, FLIGHT IDLE or FLIGHT (full throttle)  Helicopters don't take any longer to learn than airplanes and aren't any harder to fly.  But you don't release a 40hr airplane private pilot loose on fire fighting in an Air Tractor either.  No different with a helicopter.  You don't get your private add on and then head off to do a SAR in the mountains.   "Flying" a helicopter is pretty straight forward.  "WORKING" a helicopter is a different story.

Methinks it takes a bit more than a day to learn how to do this and not................die  ;D

Oregon Christmas Tree Harvest With Helicopter. Amazing Pilot!

Christmas Trees 2010 - Putting Trees In Trucks
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

NIN

It was always fun watching the ROKA UH-1 units try to conduct some sort of airmobile operation that was any bigger than 5 aircraft. Somehow more than five and everybody decided they were flight lead. And all went in their own directions
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

Quote from: LTC Don on December 13, 2013, 01:12:49 PM

Methinks it takes a bit more than a day to learn how to do this and not................die  ;D

Oregon Christmas Tree Harvest With Helicopter. Amazing Pilot!

Christmas Trees 2010 - Putting Trees In Trucks

I've seen this done with spent 500 lb exercise torpedoes, carried by H-46s.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Is that straining the airframe in ways not designed?  or is he in the envelope?

Takes my breath away to watch it, especially the external shots.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on December 13, 2013, 11:14:56 PM

If he wasn't in "the envelope" then he wouldn't be doing it, unless he has a death wish.
Aviation can be very harsh when it comes to stupidity.

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on December 13, 2013, 11:14:56 PM

If you do it right (and he sure looks like he is), you're not really throwing that much at the aircraft.

Of course, when you're flying like that, it is terribly unforgiving of any kind of a problem.  Like a mechanical problem.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

If you made a video game like that, people would say it was unrealistic.

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

Quote from: PHall on December 14, 2013, 01:14:58 AM
Aviation can be very harsh when it comes to stupidity.

Gravity is a harsh mistress, indeed.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

BillB

I can see where a limited number of helicopters would further many missions of CAP. Say for example two per Region. I don't think they would be used that often, but when needed could be a valuable asset. I don't think maintenace would be that much of a problem. It would require that new maintenance facilitys would have to be added to the mix and former military pilots obtained. Locally that is no problem. There is a helicopter maintance facility at the local airport that supports many air ambulance choppers, and the squadron has at least one rated chopper pilot. The only problem I see is the cost per flight hour for whatever missions the chopper would be used for. But chances are the rates per hour for CAP flights would be lower than law enforcement or other helicopter operations since there is no cost for pilot just fuel and maintenance. SAR specifically in Florida would find a helicopter better suited for the thick wooded area of the state compared to a 172.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104