I bet WOPR is feeling pretty silly right now.

Started by Panache, December 02, 2013, 11:32:43 AM

Panache

For 20 Years the Nuclear Launch Code at US Minuteman Silos Was 00000000
QuoteToday I found out that during the height of the Cold War, the US military put such an emphasis on a rapid response to an attack on American soil, that to minimize any foreseeable delay in launching a nuclear missile, for nearly two decades they intentionally set the launch codes at every silo in the US to 8 zeroes.

Stonewall

"Mr. McKittrick, after very careful consideration, sir, I've come to the conclusion that your new defense system sucks."
Serving since 1987.

NIN

Quote from: Stonewall on December 02, 2013, 12:40:26 PM
"Mr. McKittrick, after very careful consideration, sir, I've come to the conclusion that your new defense system sucks."

Came here to find  this comment. Was not disappointed.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

JeffDG

Eclipse

This is essentially the same thing as today's "post it" note culture.

"Those in the U.S. that had been fitted with the devices, such as ones in the Minuteman Silos, were installed under the close scrutiny of Robert McNamara, JFK's Secretary of Defence. However, The Strategic Air Command greatly resented McNamara's presence and almost as soon as he left, the code to launch the missile's, all 50 of them, was set to 00000000."

Oh, and in case you actually did forget the code, it was handily written down on a checklist handed out to the soldiers..."

Proving again that no matter how well you plan, there will always be people who "know better".

"That Others May Zoom"

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: JeffDG on December 02, 2013, 03:00:25 PM
That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6iW-8xPw3k

Unlike the Spanish Inquisition, I was expecting this to show up.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Panache on December 02, 2013, 11:32:43 AM

QuoteToday I found out that during the height of the Cold War, the US military put such an emphasis on a rapid response to an attack on American soil, that to minimize any foreseeable delay in launching a nuclear missile, for nearly two decades they intentionally set the launch codes at every silo in the US to 8 zeroes.

Wow that was my combo on my junior high school P.E. locker so I can get dressed faster   8)

Eclipse

Technically that code is no more, or less secure then any other 8-digit code other then it's easier to
remember.  The bigger issue is the code being number-only, at a length of a phone number, and
the same everywhere.

"That Others May Zoom"