Cadet Conference Attendance Does Not Count Towards Level III

Started by Майор Хаткевич, August 15, 2013, 03:55:38 AM

Майор Хаткевич

QuoteCaptain Hatkevich,
After conferring with Lt Col XXXX the Wing Assistant Chief of Staff for Personnel and Administration, any cadet conference attendance will not count for any senior member professional development awards.  Lt Col XXXX  contacted National Headquarters and was informed of this by Jennifer Carroll who is in charge of Professional Development Registrar, and Suzie Parker who is in charge Personnel and Member Actions.  If you require any additional information about this subject please let me know and I will do what I can to assist you in this matter.

Well, that's nice to know after the fact.  ::)

PHall

Did you just attend the conference or did you teach something or help run it?
If you did, ask again and make sure that they know you instructed, etc...

Майор Хаткевич

Level III requires 2 as attendee. Apparently CAP Inc staffers can make judgement calls, but we knew that. Was OK when I went, guess not so OK now.

SarDragon

I asked about this issue a while back (10+ years ago), and was told at that time that cadet attendance/participation at conferences did not count toward SM PD requirements.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

coudano

it really should just be changed to say something like "since completing level X (previous)", do x, y, and z
i think that's what it (common sense) means,
it just doesn't say it clearly

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: coudano on August 15, 2013, 05:14:11 AM
it really should just be changed to say something like "since completing level X (previous)", do x, y, and z
i think that's what it (common sense) means,
it just doesn't say it clearly

That would make sense. But that's not how the reg has it:

a2capt

That doesn't make any sense. One could certainly argue that attending a conference in the last 5 years, be it as a cadet in their last year before aging out, isn't any different than a senior member attending a conference 26 years ago, and finally getting around to completing Level III.

I'd certainly argue that the cadet attendance is certainly more relevant in that the sessions / topics / attended / discussed were certainly more relevant now.. unless perhaps the SM's specialty track is Historian? ;)

As similar, CAWG has a Cadet-centric conference in the early part of the year, that is pretty much a mirror image of the a-typical Wing Conference except that they will not accept it as PD credit. During one of the exchanges I got "it's cadet-centric, does not cover the whole spectrum" .. and I fired back with "..and the Region Aerospace Conference .. isn't singular-centric, or how about the ES conference events you all accept.."

Whatever.

Until it effects someone who has influence in the regulation, it'll probably stay in ambiguous limbo.

lordmonar

Why do we have this requirement again?

No seriously.

We are arguing about if attendance as a cadet counts or attendance 20 years ago counts......for what?   

What exactly does conference attendance accomplish?

What exactly is a conference?

What exactly counts as attendance?

I compare this to a cadet's requirement to attend an encampment.  We have a clear direction of what constitutes an encampment.  We have clear guidance of what attendance is.   We have fairly good idea of what we are trying to accomplish with requiring cadet attendance.

Why can't we get the same for a "conference"?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Private Investigator

I do recall this being brought up 10+ years ago too. Does a Communications Conference count? It does for the Comm speciality track but not for SM PD?

The main reason Conferences exist besides a chance to connect with friends you only see yearly. Is to learn more about CAP. I have met people in CAP that is totally clueless about anything outside their little Squadron. Just recently I was out of state and I noted the Senior Members at a event wearing Wing patches on their USAF blue shirts and the Cadets were not wearing them. I was told Senior Members wear the patch and Cadets do not. So is that half wrong or half right?   ::)

EMT-83

Jennifer Carroll and Suzie Parker are great people, very helpful on a regular basis. They do not, however, carry any more weight than anyone else when interpreting regulations.

They issued an opinion last year that test logs must contain a "wet" signature, even though it is not required by regulation, which authorizes electronic logs. Their interpretation was not supported when the regulation was updated earlier this month.

As to conference attendance, the regulation is painfully clear and not subject to interpretation.

Майор Хаткевич

It is in my wing. Oh well. Not a big deal, Major is at least 2 years off, but its slightly frustrating.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: a2capt on August 15, 2013, 07:26:18 AM
That doesn't make any sense. One could certainly argue that attending a conference in the last 5 years, be it as a cadet in their last year before aging out, isn't any different than a senior member attending a conference 26 years ago, and finally getting around to completing Level III.

Well, true, and absurd. I think I can probably point a few fingers at some Spaatzen who hit Major without getting to two conferences between turning 21 and turning Major. Because for them "cadet attendance" was just fine. Same really goes for trying to swing some 30 + year old conference, where that's not an issue, but somehow being a cadet is.

I'd certainly argue that the cadet attendance is certainly more relevant in that the sessions / topics / attended / discussed were certainly more relevant now.. unless perhaps the SM's specialty track is Historian? ;)

A lot of the sessions are either CP or Cadet focused in the first place.

As similar, CAWG has a Cadet-centric conference in the early part of the year, that is pretty much a mirror image of the a-typical Wing Conference except that they will not accept it as PD credit. During one of the exchanges I got "it's cadet-centric, does not cover the whole spectrum" .. and I fired back with "..and the Region Aerospace Conference .. isn't singular-centric, or how about the ES conference events you all accept.."

That's the rub, eh? Nothing is mentioned about ES conferences, yet they get accepted.

Whatever.

True Dat.  :P

Until it effects someone who has influence in the regulation, it'll probably stay in ambiguous limbo.

Going to be hard to do in my case. Best case scenario, you're looking at a just turned 24 Spaatzen trying to get his Major on. While they may have some friends higher up, they probably don't have the pull to have enough of a racket made about it. Besides, as far as I'm aware, this is something that my wing decided to call NHQ staffers about, and now deems their word as gospel. YMMV.

lordmonar

Well.....what exactly is a conference?
We have a wing conference in NVWG every year.  It has a staff meeting, some break out sessions, some staff work shops and a dinner.
We also have two biannual staff meetings.....it has a staff meeting, some break out session, some staff work shops and a dinner.
So......it is just the name?

Do conferences have any required elements?  I know we all thing that conferences will have a staff meeting, some sort of ES/CP/AE break out sessions, a CAC meeting, Staff training, maybe a CLC or UCC or TLC....but what if it was just a Commander's call, vehicle inspection, and a dinner?
If we started calling our bi-annual staff meetings....as staff conference would that count?

Also....what exactly is attendance?

Jonny Newguy signs up for the conference....checks in Friday night...goes to the mixer.  Saturday he goes to the Opening Breakfast Meeting....then he goes to the pool until the awards banquet at 7p.m.  Departs early Sunday before the CC's Call because he's got work in the morning.

And that is attendance.   I know people who drove the cadets to the conference signed in, went skiing all day, attended the banquet and then drove the cadets home on Sunday......and that counted for attendance.

Again.....I hate the requirement to attend two "conferences' with out stating the purpose of attendance, defining what attend is, or defining what a conference is.

Майор Хаткевич

I agree. In fact, I literally had it brought up to me a day or so ago.

"Why don't you just pay for the one in December, and sign in on Saturday morning"?

This, because I was planning on attending, but it was the only week my wife could go on vacation. Unethical? Sure. Was it said in jest? Maybe only partially, because lets face it, some of the people I SAW at the conference that doesn't count for me, pretty much spent it at the hotel bar/pool/restaurant. But at least they will get the credit.

Maybe it's time to induce punch cards / sign in rosters, and require X amount of sessions to count. Not that it can't be pencil whipped.

a2capt

The conversation basically recaps what I brought up late last year:

What constitutes a Conference, and who says it is?

What I basically determined is, 1) there is no regulation or description anywhere. 2) If the Wing people need it to be a "Conference", they can give it the blessing and that's it.

..and in the end, it got shot down due to politics and a game of "take my ball and go home", over a pissing contest between the previous organizer not wanting a lick of anything to get out that might even possibly, remotely, help the current organizer.

Who suffers in the middle? Joe Member who faithfully, dutifully, volunteered and gets the Shaft in return.

How do we fix that?

Take care of your people when you work stuff. 

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=16443.msg297243#msg297243

Майор Хаткевич

What I'm getting right now is that conference > members. If the point is to network, then as a C/1st Lt at 16.5 I got to meet the current/future wing king, many group/wing staffers, cadets from the farther southern reaches of my state. I also sat in on some lackluster sessions. I'm going to assume that if I was to go again, I would experience just about the same situation.

MSG Mac

A number of good points have emerged from this discussion, much more than the usual CT post.

1. What constitutes a Wing/Region Conference?
2. Why don't Cadets and former Cadets get credit for attendance?
3. Since attendance is required, how do we track it? It's not carried on the STR, and I've never received any form of verification of attendance nor has anyone I know. Usually I take the member's word.

Simple fix: Amend The STR to add a space for Conference attendance. And 52-16 to require attendance at 1 conference prior to the Mitchell, and another for the Eaker award. Transferable upon achieving SM status.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I don't think mandating attendance for cadets is the answer.

Luis R. Ramos

No one has mandated any cadet attendance here. They are discussing that if any cadet attends, then it should transfer when the cadet becomes a senior.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

lordmonar

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 15, 2013, 06:44:09 PM
What I'm getting right now is that conference > members. If the point is to network, then as a C/1st Lt at 16.5 I got to meet the current/future wing king, many group/wing staffers, cadets from the farther southern reaches of my state. I also sat in on some lackluster sessions. I'm going to assume that if I was to go again, I would experience just about the same situation.
If the point is to network......why can't any Group or Wing level activity count?
If the point is to network.....see what happens beyond the squadron......why do Group and Wing STAFF MEMBERS need to do it?
If the point is to network and see what happens outside your little world.....why are not two regional conferences required for Level IV and Two National Conferences required for level V?