I want to be a medic at the 2013-2014 KSWG Winter Encampment

Started by AACS Cadet21, July 19, 2013, 02:34:57 AM

AACS Cadet21

So I want to be a medic at encampment this winter, do I need first-aid training? And yes, I have been to an encampment as a basic, the 2013 COWG Falcon Encampment to be exact. Anyway I haven't found ANY information on the Kansas encampment and their website is down.... I did manage to learn that the deadline for applications is July 31st. If anyone has info or an application that'd be awesome.  The medics at my encampment were GREAT and I'm very happy that I got to know them.... They were really influential to me because I was sick the whole week.... I knew them better than my own flightmates lol  ;D

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

AACS Cadet21

Eclipse

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on July 19, 2013, 03:31:10 AM
?

There are no CAP "medics".  At best there are Health Service Officers.  Yes medical professionals are
assigned at various echelons as MO's (who are MD's) and RNOs (RNs), but they are restricted to the
same first-aid level of care as everyone else.

CAP's position on providing medical care is limited to first-aid only, with professional EMS brought in
as soon s possible.  There isn't supposed to be a "sick call", "triage", "etc." if you're sick, you should go home.

If you look at other threads, you will see this is a very contentious issue within CAP.

With that said, check with the encampment staff for requirements to serve on the Health Services Staff,
assuming there is one next year.

"That Others May Zoom"

AACS Cadet21

I know, but saying "medic" is easier than saying "Heath Service Officer" I can't find ANYTHING about the Kansas encampment!  >:(

Eclipse

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on July 19, 2013, 03:55:28 PM
I know, but saying "medic" is easier than saying "Heath Service Officer" I can't find ANYTHING about the Kansas encampment!  >:(

Yes, it's also "hardkewler", but does not describe the situation or position properly, and because it's a sore point
for a lot of people, tends to put a conversation on edge.  Part of CAP is understanding that there are proper terms
for things and when you learn them you should use them.

http://www.kswgcap.com/

The above indicates that the wing web page is down for extended maintenance, and provides several emails
for applications and contacts.  Your best bet is to use those.   It says you have about a week left for an app.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

If the encampment didn't publish any cadet staff openings to assist the medical or health services officer, then I don't see how you would be able to apply to such position. If this position was available, I'm sure they would want someone with some level of training, experience and/or qualifications in a medical field (e.g. EMS, RN, etc.).

The fact that you're asking this question leads me to believe that you don't have this type of training; not even basic first aid? So my question to you is, how would you be useful in this role if the position was in fact available?

AACS Cadet21

Yes, actually I do have first-aid training, I'm not part of any Kansas wing so naturally I don't know how to apply for their encampments...

UH60guy

Quote from: Eclipse on July 19, 2013, 03:37:00 AM

There are no CAP "medics".  At best there are Health Service Officers.  Yes medical professionals are
assigned at various echelons as MO's (who are MD's) and RNOs (RNs), but they are restricted to the

This may very well be one of the non-standardized things between wings or just one of the regs people choose to ignore. Not saying it's the right answer, but I just got back from an encampment two weeks ago where we did indeed have cadet staff positions titled "medic." His wing may have something similar.

(not to get that kinda discussion again here, but their function was mostly to buddy carry ankle twist victims to a CAP van or squirt water on cadets to beat the heat- not what you normally think of as a capital-M "Medic")
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Eclipse

It is (something people ignore), however once the new HSO regs gets around, coupled with the encampment guide moving out of draft,
hopefully we'll see less of it.

That assumes, of course, that anyone involved cares enough to read the regs.   The reduced presence of CAP-USAF at encampments
isn't going to help that.

"That Others May Zoom"

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: UH60guy on July 19, 2013, 05:08:18 PM

This may very well be one of the non-standardized things between wings or just one of the regs people choose to ignore. Not saying it's the right answer, but I just got back from an encampment two weeks ago where we did indeed have cadet staff positions titled "medic." His wing may have something similar.

(not to get that kinda discussion again here, but their function was mostly to buddy carry ankle twist victims to a CAP van or squirt water on cadets to beat the heat- not what you normally think of as a capital-M "Medic")

Yeah, that's what my wing did, we called them medics, even the encampment commander called them that!

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on July 19, 2013, 05:11:23 PM
Quote from: UH60guy on July 19, 2013, 05:08:18 PM

Yeah, that's what my wing did, we called them medics, even the encampment commander called them that!

And Germans were just following orders.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Brad

Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Danger

I applied for flight commander for KSWG. Wish me luck  8) Does KSWG often accept staff applicants from other wings?
"Never take anything too seriously."

AngelWings

What glory is there in being a cadet "medic"? Are you hoping to save someone's life? Are you hoping to provide ALS? Because otherwise, expect to be putting band-aids on small cuts, having cadets say their feet hurt, and be expected to send real cases to the Seniors, or you'll be expected to send them to the Seniors.

If you don't know how to perform BLS, you're going to be useless as breasts on a bull. If you're not a medic (EMT-B, ALS, EMT-P, etc.), you're not trained to be a HSO in CAP.

arajca

sarmed1

Quote from: arajca on July 28, 2013, 06:11:53 PM
Quote from: Brad on July 28, 2013, 02:04:15 PM

I think that sums it up nicely. ;D

I am pretty sure the first and last pictures may be reversed.... they captions remain where they are but the pictures need to switch
just sayin'

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

SJFedor

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on July 19, 2013, 02:34:57 AM
... do I need first-aid training?...

If you can't fix it with a band-aid and a pat on the back, you need to be calling someone else. That's about as much training as you need as a "cadet medic".

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

jstobbsvergara13

Hey, I know this is a bit late but i was a "Health Services Officer" at the 2013 COWG encampment, its really good if you have first aide and CPR or any other qualifications to do with medical stuff.  I didn't see any actual qualification requirement on the website.  As for your actual application there is an example cover letter on the cap website if you just google CAP cover letter.  and the same with a resume.  There are positions there for cadet health services officer so put at the top of your resume that you want to be a part of the health services department. 

What flight were you in at COWG??

AFCadet2011

Hey I was a cadet medic at the VA Wing Encampment this year and I can safely say that the people posting on this thread got the job exactly right. We mostly made sure the cadets stayed hydrated, checked for blisters and ticks (Virginia is full of them!), and the worst things we dealt with were heat injuries and twisted ankles. So, if you want to be a medic for the glory, I'd suggest looking somewhere else! That being said, I absolutely loved being a medic for a few reasons:

-You get quite a sense of satisfaction helping the cadets, even if you are only treating minor injuries. Plus, when cadets start to feel homesick/stressed, they usually tend to look to medics more for a friendly face, so in some ways, you can be very important to the cadets' experiences at encampment.

-You get a lot of respect from the cadets (and cadet staff!), and all of the basic cadets absolutely LOVE you, which is an awesome feeling. I can't tell you how many cadets told me that they wanted to be medics at next year's encampment. It's really cool to know that you may have inspired some cadets to return and seek staff positions. Also, you get to do some fun stuff, like squirting the cadets with spray bottles to keep them cool.

-If you're interested in medical stuff, this is probably an awesome job for you. I was only sorta-kinda of interested when I started this year's encampment, but I learned so much and found it so interesting that I started to look more and more at the idea of a medical career. The SM in charge of all the medics was a paramedic with decades of experience, and when we had downtime he would tell us medical factoids or talk to us about first aid and answer our questions. He also taught us to do some cool things, such as taking blood pressure (although that kind of stuff was more 'for fun', and wasn't really used by us practically).

All in all, as long as you know that as a cadet medic you won't be fireman-carrying injured cadets out of the woods in a blaze of glory, I'm sure you'll enjoy it and learn a lot about first aid.

Also, I don't know the requirements in your wing, but in VA cadet medics had to be at least 16 years old, and have at least standard first aid, CPR, and AED training. This training did not have to be done within CAP. You might want to look into the requirements ahead of time so you can make sure that you get the proper training done, and fit the requirements.

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: jstobbsvergara13 on July 29, 2013, 06:49:14 PM
Hey, I know this is a bit late but i was a "Health Services Officer" at the 2013 COWG encampment, its really good if you have first aide and CPR or any other qualifications to do with medical stuff.  I didn't see any actual qualification requirement on the website.  As for your actual application there is an example cover letter on the cap website if you just google CAP cover letter.  and the same with a resume.  There are positions there for cadet health services officer so put at the top of your resume that you want to be a part of the health services department. 

What flight were you in at COWG??

Golf, haha, remember me? I was the one with heat exhaustion, food poisoning, stomach flu, etc.  I sat with you and Sgt. Davis for a few meals, and spent a night in Med-Bay...(best sleep I got all week :D)

Chief McGrady played a prank on my flight sergeant, Chief Lammon by putting salt in her tea lol XD    I still think she had it coming... ;)

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: AFCadet2011 on July 30, 2013, 12:14:03 AM
Hey I was a cadet medic at the VA Wing Encampment this year and I can safely say that the people posting on this thread got the job exactly right. We mostly made sure the cadets stayed hydrated, checked for blisters and ticks (Virginia is full of them!), and the worst things we dealt with were heat injuries and twisted ankles. So, if you want to be a medic for the glory, I'd suggest looking somewhere else! That being said, I absolutely loved being a medic for a few reasons:

-You get quite a sense of satisfaction helping the cadets, even if you are only treating minor injuries. Plus, when cadets start to feel homesick/stressed, they usually tend to look to medics more for a friendly face, so in some ways, you can be very important to the cadets' experiences at encampment.

-You get a lot of respect from the cadets (and cadet staff!), and all of the basic cadets absolutely LOVE you, which is an awesome feeling. I can't tell you how many cadets told me that they wanted to be medics at next year's encampment. It's really cool to know that you may have inspired some cadets to return and seek staff positions. Also, you get to do some fun stuff, like squirting the cadets with spray bottles to keep them cool.

-If you're interested in medical stuff, this is probably an awesome job for you. I was only sorta-kinda of interested when I started this year's encampment, but I learned so much and found it so interesting that I started to look more and more at the idea of a medical career. The SM in charge of all the medics was a paramedic with decades of experience, and when we had downtime he would tell us medical factoids or talk to us about first aid and answer our questions. He also taught us to do some cool things, such as taking blood pressure (although that kind of stuff was more 'for fun', and wasn't really used by us practically).

All in all, as long as you know that as a cadet medic you won't be fireman-carrying injured cadets out of the woods in a blaze of glory, I'm sure you'll enjoy it and learn a lot about first aid.

Also, I don't know the requirements in your wing, but in VA cadet medics had to be at least 16 years old, and have at least standard first aid, CPR, and AED training. This training did not have to be done within CAP. You might want to look into the requirements ahead of time so you can make sure that you get the proper training done, and fit the requirements.

Thanks, this really helps, you described some of the reasons I want be a HSO. The medics at my encampment were some of the only people in the whole place that liked me, they are my friends and that's more than I can say for the other flight staff....

Huey Driver

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on July 30, 2013, 05:30:09 PM
Thanks, this really helps, you described some of the reasons I want be a HSO. The medics at my encampment were some of the only people in the whole place that liked me, they were(are) my friends and that's more than I can say for the other flight staff....

That's something unique to the medical staff. As a medic, you have respect just as a member of staff, but the cadet students shouldn't be afraid to talk to you. If a cadet needs medical attention, they need to feel comfortable enough to approach you and address the issue. Medics are generally good guys, and the position is a lot of fun at encampment.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Eclipse

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on July 30, 2013, 05:30:09 PMThanks, this really helps, you described some of the reasons I want be a HSO. The medics at my encampment were some of the only people in the whole place that liked me, they were(are) my friends and that's more than I can say for the other flight staff...

Then your time might be better spent on line staff, working out whatever your issues are/were instead of hiding on the medical health safety staff.

Support staffers tend to have less structure to their encampment schedule and a lot of downtime, they also tend to be viewed as "lucky" by the
basics students because at any given time when the flights are in formation, support staffers may not be, etc.  That gives you +1 in the cool
kids club, but won't help you with becoming a leader.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

I always said that once I was Stan eval my cadet days were on life support.

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: Eclipse on July 30, 2013, 09:25:41 PM
Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on July 30, 2013, 05:30:09 PMThanks, this really helps, you described some of the reasons I want be a HSO. The medics at my encampment were some of the only people in the whole place that liked me, they were(are) my friends and that's more than I can say for the other flight staff...

Then your time might be better spent on line staff, working out whatever your issues are/were instead of hiding on the medical health safety staff.

Support staffers tend to have less structure to their encampment schedule and a lot of downtime, they also tend to be viewed as "lucky" by the
basics students because at any given time then the flights are in formation, support staffers may not be, etc.  That gives you +1 in the cool
kids club, but won't help you with becoming a leader.

the only "issues" i ever had with staff were with my flight commander and flight sergeant, not the medics. I said:  ...were(are)...     because I haven't seen them since encampment.... but they'll always be friends in my opinion.

Eclipse

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on July 30, 2013, 10:33:13 PMthe only "issues" i ever had with staff were with my flight commander and flight sergeant, not the medics.

That was my point.

So now is the time for you to step up and do it "right" taking from the lessons of what your flight staff did that you didn't like.
If you miss that experience, you are robbing yourself of one of encampments most important lessons.

"That Others May Zoom"

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: Eclipse on July 30, 2013, 10:51:22 PM
Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on July 30, 2013, 10:33:13 PMthe only "issues" i ever had with staff were with my flight commander and flight sergeant, not the medics.

That was my point.

So now is the time for you to step up and do it "right" taking from the lessons of what your flight staff did that you didn't like.
If you miss that experience, you are robbing yourself of one of encampments most important lessons.

Exactly, before the end of the first day, i swore that if I was ever a flight sergeant/flight commander, I'd never treat my cadets the way they treated me. But I want to go as a HSO because I don't think I'll be a flight sergeant in AACS before then; And I want to have the experience before I try it at encampment...

Майор Хаткевич

Flight sgts are there to learn. No point in delaying it.

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: usafaux2004 on July 30, 2013, 11:08:58 PM

I know, but I want be a flight sgt in my home squadron before i am at encampment... that way I have some experience..

Eclipse

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on July 30, 2013, 11:28:23 PM

I know, but I want be a flight sgt in my home squadron before i am at encampment... that way I have some experience..

The experience of being a flight sergeant at a squadron is rarely the same as encampment.  In fact, it may be better to
do it there first as you will likely learn the correct way to do it the first time, your previous unfortunate experience
notwithstanding.

I suppose the question is begged - did you tell anyone of the issue?

"That Others May Zoom"

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: Eclipse on July 30, 2013, 11:53:46 PM
Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on July 30, 2013, 11:28:23 PM

The experience of being a flight sergeant at a squadron is rarely the same as encampment.  In fact, it may be better to
do it there first as you will likely learn the correct way to do it the first time, your previous unfortunate experience
notwithstanding.

I suppose the question is begged - did you tell anyone of the issue?

Well, I told my roommate and the chaplain.... My parents would never believe me and there's really nothing anyone can do about it... It's not that big a deal really, I mean, there are a lot of people who hate me... *sigh*

Eclipse

While your roommate would have no say in the matter, it's unfortunate the Chaplain did not act as he was supposed to
and report it up the chain.

For future reference, the proper path would have been either to your next in line on the cadet flight staff, or, barring
action, your tac officer(s).  No cadet should be in any position to feel others "hate" him.

At this point, all you can do is learn and move on.

"That Others May Zoom"

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: Eclipse on July 31, 2013, 01:07:13 AM
While your roommate would have no say in the matter, it's unfortunate the Chaplain did not act as he was supposed to
and report it up the chain.

For future reference, the proper path would have been either to your next in line on the cadet flight staff, or, barring
action, your tac officer(s).  No cadet should be in any position to feel others "hate" him.

At this point, all you can do is learn and move on.

yup... although, I would not blame the chaplain in this matter, because I'm not sure if he took me seriously.... *sigh* anyway, what's done is done. Like you said, I've learned, and will move on... but on the bright side i now know how NOT to lead basics....

Critical AOA

Telling a chaplain would seem pointless.  Speak to your chain of command regarding your goals and aspirations in CAP.  They are the ones who can help you make it happen.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Eclipse

The issue with far too many Chaplains is that they confuse their faith's rules of anonymity with CAPs regs about immediate reporting.

I've had to deal with far too many situations where a Chaplain was told about something which he was supposed to report,
only for it to come out through a different channel later.

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

And there is a possibility for harm to occur in the meanwhile.  Not so good.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

AACS Cadet21

Eclipse

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on August 01, 2013, 02:16:29 AM
....... well, its over now....

Yes, for you, but what about other cadets and going forward?

That flight staff was never corrected, which means their behavior will likely propagate to those who were at the encampment,
as well as their home squadrons.   One cadet, you, has disengaged from the standard encampment leadership progression in
favor of a support role that won't help you much in CAP, and how many other cadets simply won't come back, or may have been
negatively influenced by the experience?

These things don't occur in a vacuum, and this is why CAP leaders are supposed to make it clear that this kind of thing is not tolerated.

Don't get me wrong, without all the facts, this could well be a case where the proper intensity level was simply not well received by
you, it wouldn't be the first time, but then in that case, the conversation would switch to your understanding.  Either way,
someone gets corrected, the proper people are aware, somebody(s) learns something, which is the point of the encampment
experience to start with.

I'm not necessarily suggesting you start lighting up emails and making complaints, though that would certainly still be your right,
the practical reality is that the more time and distance from a problem, the less able anyone can fix things, but as general advice to
those who will encounter this in the future, the time to say something is >now<.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cap'n

Quote from: usafaux2004 on July 30, 2013, 10:09:10 PM

Did you not like being Stan Eval? I'm just curious- that's what I was selected for, for Encampment this summer.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Pomegranate on August 01, 2013, 04:19:23 AM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on July 30, 2013, 10:09:10 PM

Did you not like being Stan Eval? I'm just curious- that's what I was selected for, for Encampment this summer.

I had a blast. But I was also 18, Cadet Commander the year before, out of highschool, and missing  meetings due to work scheduling, and heading off to college at the end of summer. Looking back on it, I would have loved to be line staff.

Eclipse

What's missed by a lot of cadets is that they have an expiration date, and when the clock goes "ding", a lot of doors close, never to be opened in the same way again.  Because most wings only have one encampment a year, those opportunities, especially, are as much a matter of timing as
planning, and if you don't take advantage of them, they may never come again, since an adolescent year can bring significant changes.

You can chase ELTs the rest of your life, come back for 20 years as support staff, and bandage blisters for a decade, but that chance to
be a Flight CC or First Shirt might be a one-shot deal, because next year you might no longer be an NCO, be too high in grade, or mom and dad decide
the family reunion is more important.  The opportunities shrink even more as you move up the chain.

It's understandable that when you're 16 all you want to be is "not 16" and get on with life, but the day that door slams shut is when
you realize how much you missed always worrying about "next" and never concentrating on "now".

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: Eclipse on August 01, 2013, 02:42:28 AM
Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on August 01, 2013, 02:16:29 AM
....... well, its over now....

Yes, for you, but what about other cadets and going forward?

That flight staff was never corrected, which means their behavior will likely propagate to those who were at the encampment,
as well as their home squadrons.   One cadet, you, has disengaged from the standard encampment leadership progression in
favor of a support role that won't help you much in CAP, and how many other cadets simply won't come back, or may have been
negatively influenced by the experience?

These things don't occur in a vacuum, and this is why CAP leaders are supposed to make it clear that this kind of thing is not tolerated.

Don't get me wrong, without all the facts, this could well be a case where the proper intensity level was simply not well received by
you, it wouldn't be the first time, but then in that case, the conversation would switch to your understanding.  Either way,
someone gets corrected, the proper people are aware, somebody(s) learns something, which is the point of the encampment
experience to start with.

I'm not necessarily suggesting you start lighting up emails and making complaints, though that would certainly still be your right,
the practical reality is that the more time and distance from a problem, the less able anyone can fix things, but as general advice to
those who will encounter this in the future, the time to say something is >now<.

They just really really didn't like me! I still have some really great memories from encampment(thanks to the medics). The flight staff were nicer to my roommate, it was something personal I guess... Maybe it was because I went to the devotional every night instead of working on my barracks... Who knows? But no matter what, I'll always have good memories from encampment.

AngelWings

Quote from: Eclipse on August 01, 2013, 05:03:14 AM
What's missed by a lot of cadets is that they have an expiration date, and when the clock goes "ding", a lot of doors close, never to be opened in the same way again.  Because most wings only have one encampment a year, those opportunities, especially, are as much a matter of timing as
planning, and if you don't take advantage of them, they may never come again, since an adolescent year can bring significant changes.

You can chase ELTs the rest of your life, come back for 20 years as support staff, and bandage blisters for a decade, but that chance to
be a Flight CC or First Shirt might be a one-shot deal, because next year you might no longer be an NCO, be too high in grade, or mom and dad decide
the family reunion is more important.  The opportunities shrink even more as you move up the chain.

It's understandable that when you're 16 all you want to be is "not 16" and get on with life, but the day that door slams shut is when
you realize how much you missed always worrying about "next" and never concentrating on "now".
This I learned the hard way. You gain many and lose many chances as you try to grow. This year has been a thousand and one opened and closed doors for me.

Seize the moment.

Jaison009

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:. You are so right Eclipse. When the clock dings and the doors close cadets should have no regret. WIWAC I went to 5 encampments and wish I had gone to more. On those I was element leader, cadet medic, flight sergeant, and Flight CC. I wish I had went to more but life happened. While you have time you need to do as much as you can as a Cadet. I would have loved to have been a Squadron CC or Cadet CC. I also would have tried so much harder on getting PT in check for my Spaatz award. Not getting the third diamond is the biggest regret of my time as a Cadet (and trusting others that had to get me in ECI13 which ultimately cost me nearly a year screwing with the then mail in ECI13 course).

[quote author Eclipse link=topic=17692.msg319386#msg319386 date=1375333394]

[/quote]

Майор Хаткевич

No kidding. I loved pretty much most of what I went through as a cadet, but things like never getting to do line staff at encampment, actually working on my fitness to be able to reach Spaatz, that's what pains the most. Heck, it's not even the diamonds or the award, or anything related to it. The journey through phase IV would most likely have been the most interesting to me as an 18+ year old cadet, and that's what I really miss the most.

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 02, 2013, 04:15:05 PM
No kidding. I loved pretty much most of what I went through as a cadet, but things like never getting to do line staff at encampment, actually working on my fitness to be able to reach Spaatz, that's what pains the most. Heck, it's not even the diamonds or the award, or anything related to it. The journey through phase IV would most likely have been the most interesting to me as an 18+ year old cadet, and that's what I really miss the most.

You guys are all so right, I want more than anything to get my Spaatz... That's why I want to go to so many encampments...  In CAP, hard work pays off, for example: I'm only an airman, but I've worked hard and now I'm an element leader!(which is awesome!)  Hard work gets noticed, so work hard!  :clap: