Main Menu

Getting on base

Started by ARandomCadet, July 11, 2013, 04:27:41 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: ARandomCadet on July 11, 2013, 03:30:38 PMI don't know much, but here (but not necessarily elsewhere) I have heard of contractors being able to go on base to the BX and the rest of the like (there is a kid here whose dad is a contractor and is deployed and his family can get on whenever, another kid has a dad who is a contractor and he can go to base housing and swim there) so I've heard if some contractors and their families being able to get on base whenever they want.

What contractors, civilian employees, or anyone else does on a base is absolutely none of your business or concern, and not relevent to whether you should be there.
CAP has a very narrow lane for base access, really skinny if you do not have an assignment or billet there.  It is not an amusement park for you to go check out.

This kind of behavior is what gets us into misunderstandings with base commanders and risks the legitimate access of members who need to be there.

"That Others May Zoom"

UH60guy

Quote from: Eclipse on July 11, 2013, 05:12:11 PM
This kind of behavior is what gets us into misunderstandings with base commanders and risks the legitimate access of members who need to be there.

I think you really nailed it there. CAP ≠ USAF. When people start to think the line is blurred is when we run into problems.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

abdsp51

Anyone may eat at an AAFES eating establishment.  DECA is reserved for those who have the proper credentials and is seperate from AAFES and NAF.

UH60guy

True- I always forget that, probably due to my lifelong hatred and subsequent avoidance of the commissary (hate crowds and giving back what I save in tips to a cart pusher, but too nice not to tip well). But I digress and back to the topic. Harumph harumph harumph (I didn't get a harumph out of you).

CAP cadets generally should only be on base for CAP activities unless they are a DoD service member or dependent. CAP membership is not military membership and does not constitute entitlement to all base activities or even base access on non-CAP days.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

jeders

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

JeffDG

ARandomCadet

Quote from: UH60guy on July 11, 2013, 06:00:14 PM
True- I always forget that, probably due to my lifelong hatred and subsequent avoidance of the commissary (hate crowds and giving back what I save in tips to a cart pusher, but too nice not to tip well). But I digress and back to the topic. Harumph harumph harumph (I didn't get a harumph out of you).

CAP cadets generally should only be on base for CAP activities unless they are a DoD service member or dependent. CAP membership is not military membership and does not constitute entitlement to all base activities or even base access on non-CAP days.
Ok that seems simple enough. This is the way i understood your post, if you are going there for CAP: good, going there for anything other than CAP: bad. So that was a good simple explanation.

Maj. Joe Mora

At MacDill, I have to send a weekly base access list for our regular meetings, for additional activities such as Color Guard Practice, Bivouacs, staff meetings I send a separate list. They require 72 hour notice. They will turn folks away and send them to the VRF if they are not on the list, even with CAPID's. It's no joke.
Commander
089th MacDill Aviation Cadet Squadron
Civil Air Patrol
United States Air Force Auxiliary
8104 Condor Street, BLDG 38
Mac Dill AFB, FL 33621

PHall

Quote from: Lt. Joe Mora on July 21, 2013, 04:08:31 AM
At MacDill, I have to send a weekly base access list for our regular meetings, for additional activities such as Color Guard Practice, Bivouacs, staff meetings I send a separate list. They require 72 hour notice. They will turn folks away and send them to the VRF if they are not on the list, even with CAPID's. It's no joke.

Base Commander's perogative.

Cap'n

You shouldn't be going on base for anything other then CAP related activities, unless you have a military ID. Any events, stores, buildings, etc. are on base for their (military members and family) use only, generally for the residents that have base housing. So if there's a swimming pool, library, teen center, gym, or whatever on base, you won't be using your CAPID to use that facility, or go to an event specifically for military members.

If it's a concern, your unit commander can work with the base about letting CAP cadets on for a designated time period when there is a Civil Air Patrol specific event. Problem solved.

lordmonar

Ahhhhh.......military clothing sales.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Spaceman3750

One of the ANG bases that we have a unit on allows seniors to use the base gym. So what your CAPID gets you is up to the base CC. In this case, he's a big supporter: We also have a hanger on their flight line for the CAP bird.

Critical AOA

Quote from: UH60guy on July 11, 2013, 06:00:14 PM
CAP membership is not military membership and does not constitute entitlement to all base activities or even base access on non-CAP days.

:clap:

Not sure why so many in CAP have a sense of entitlement that is contrary to this simple easy to understand concept.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

PHall

My unit meets on a Naval Weapons Station, (Naval Weapons Station Seal Beach, Norco Detachment) and we very little problems getting on base for meetings.
We provide Security a list of our current members once a month and all new members have to complete a vehicle registration form (sorry, no decal).

UH60guy

Quote from: PHall on July 22, 2013, 02:28:03 AM
My unit meets on a Naval Weapons Station, (Naval Weapons Station Seal Beach, Norco Detachment) and we very little problems getting on base for meetings.
We provide Security a list of our current members once a month and all new members have to complete a vehicle registration form (sorry, no decal).
I've only heard bits and pieces from people, but the decal may be going away soon if it hasn't already. I still have one on my car, but I hear scuttlebutt that they aren't issuing them anymore. Still checking for a military ID though.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: UH60guy on July 22, 2013, 11:09:27 AM
Quote from: PHall on July 22, 2013, 02:28:03 AM
I've only heard bits and pieces from people, but the decal may be going away soon if it hasn't already. I still have one on my car, but I hear scuttlebutt that they aren't issuing them anymore. Still checking for a military ID though.

Military installations are now using DBIDS (Defense Base Identification System), which scans the CAC or other authorized identification credentials (not CAP IDs) for base access. The registered vehicle decal is pretty much history.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

UH60guy

Ah. Around these parts they're still using the Mark-I Eyeball to scan IDs...
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Huey Driver

At JB MDL, CAP members can get DBIDS cards and resolve all issues of getting on base.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Grumpy

Quote from: Lt. Joe Mora on July 21, 2013, 04:08:31 AM

Pendleton's access rule is no more than 3 visits a month or be on a sponsored access list.  I send them a complete updated list every six months or when we lose or gain someone.  The personnel working the gate scan your driver's license or military ID.  Not sure about CAPID, I use my retired ID all the time and I have a current sticker.  I suspect when that expires it won't be renewed.

PHall

The Air Force quit issuing Decals about 6 years ago. Sounds like the rest of DoD may follow suit.