Main Menu

Getting on base

Started by ARandomCadet, July 11, 2013, 04:27:41 AM

ARandomCadet

Hopefully this will not cause too much backlash, like some of my previous posts that I have made. When going on base (it may not be for CAP necessarily, but hey civilian contractors can get on even if they aren't going to their job, so why can't we) since I am too young to have a drivers license, do I have to stop at the base visitors center so my mom or dad can get a visitors pass thingy? Or can my CAPID get both of us on base? I wasn't sure, since I'm not old enough to drive.

Eclipse

It depends on the base - ask them.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Base by base, day by day, hour by hour. They're all subject to change, though I'd have to say it may not change to the extreme that often, but.. A cadet in uniform, a driver that knows exactly where they're going, and without hesitation answers the questions, might be the ticket. Or you might have to go in.

But chances are you won't be the first to have to do "whatever" it is, and the unit may even have something worked out with the PMO.

Ask at your unit for the best answer.

ARandomCadet

Quote from: a2capt on July 11, 2013, 04:36:18 AM
Base by base, day by day, hour by hour. They're all subject to change, though I'd have to say it may not change to the extreme that often, but.. A cadet in uniform, a driver that knows exactly where they're going, and without hesitation answers the questions, might be the ticket. Or you might have to go in.

But chances are you won't be the first to have to do "whatever" it is, and the unit may even have something worked out with the PMO.

Ask at your unit for the best answer.
Ok thanks, I was asking since there are numerous events on base that are non-CAP related, and some that are CAP related, and at the main non-CAP related one they have us sign in, and if we have the credentials to get on base then they tell us to use our credentials so we can save space in the cars. And then there are always the CAP events, none if which I have been to, that are on a base.

CAPAPRN

I found going into the Navy, medically retiring and having IDs for me and my family works real well! Perhaps you could develop a long term plan also! :)  :) (Seriously though- it is a fantastic benefit that we all enjoy- we once took our little kids to Key West and the vacation was saved by the kid friendly Navy base and beach)
Capt. Carol A Whelan CAP CTWG,
CTWG Asst. Director of Communications
CTWG Director of Admin & Personnel
Commander NER-CT-004
DCS CTWG 2015 Encampment

lordmonar

Quote from: ARandomCadet on July 11, 2013, 04:27:41 AM
Hopefully this will not cause too much backlash, like some of my previous posts that I have made. When going on base (it may not be for CAP necessarily, but hey civilian contractors can get on even if they aren't going to their job, so why can't we) since I am too young to have a drivers license, do I have to stop at the base visitors center so my mom or dad can get a visitors pass thingy? Or can my CAPID get both of us on base? I wasn't sure, since I'm not old enough to drive.
a)  I am a civilian contractor.....and NO we are not supposed to be on base outside of duty hours.....just as CAP members should only be going onto base for CAP business.

b)  Minors cannot sponsor anyone on base.  You are entitled to be on base via your CAPID CARD but you can't get your parent onto base....so your are SOL.

c) Every base is a little different....and not every gate guard is as diligent in their duties....so YMMV.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ARandomCadet

Quote from: lordmonar on July 11, 2013, 05:26:20 AM
a)  I am a civilian contractor.....and NO we are not supposed to be on base outside of duty hours.....just as CAP members should only be going onto base for CAP business.

b)  Minors cannot sponsor anyone on base.  You are entitled to be on base via your CAPID CARD but you can't get your parent onto base....so your are SOL.

c) Every base is a little different....and not every gate guard is as diligent in their duties....so YMMV.
Sorry about the civilian contractor thing, here I have heard that if you got the card to get on base you get on base. So y'all aren't necessarily supposed to, but most gate guards probably don't know your schedule so they would just assume that y'all are going to work.

UH60guy

Really depends on the base and how much training/communication the gate guards have with their chain of command and CAP unit. Ours are supposed to let CAP members on (meeting nights only), but now started giving a hard time. For example, cadets have to be 16 to sponsor their parent driving them- but logic dictates that if they're 16, usually they're driving themselves anyway. Other gate guards know the agreements and let the parents on, just depends on who you get and how well they've been trained and briefed on CAP unfortunately.

However, just FYI- when you talk about other events on base, remember that these are events are usually only for base personnel (military, military family, retirees, and sometimes DoD civilians) and you aren't necessarily entitled to attend on a contractor's ID or CAP ID. They're supposed to check for military IDs all over base- like you're not even supposed to use the gas station or bowling alley without a military ID- but in practice it's usually just the PX/BX, commissary, and military clothing sales store that check. In short (notice I say short after a long paragraph), with a CAP ID you usually should only be going on base for CAP-related functions such as a regular meeting or CAP-led field trip.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

kirbahashi

As everyone else has said here, it is really base dependent, and even more painfully guard specific.  Some of the guards are sharp and on it.  Some are just there.  And before folks start flaming me for that comment, I wore the beret for 12 years... 

The one thing I recommend though is this, go the Law Enforcement Desk, MP Operation Center, what have you and ask for a copy of the regulation (or just the excerpt) that covers entrance to the base by members of CAP.  It has cleared up many issues here for my members (non-DOD) where I am at.
There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk.

spaatzmom

Cadet Rainey, 

You have been a member of this forum for 2 months today and this is now your 4th user name, why?  Most of the questions you pose can be answered, like the one above, by asking your recently retired military father or by actually reading the regulations of CAP.  So why ask here?  I am all for being inquisitive, but at some point you have to do your own research and stop taking the easy way out in finding out things.  Also you continually inject the "I was told/heard" phrase into your posts which really doesn't help your arguments.  Please, this forum has been very patient with you realizing you are only 12 and I dare say excitable/ enthusiastic, but it is coming to an end, sooner than later, I am afraid.  I do hope you find what you are looking for in your life, but right now, it seems that a slower, more personally researched approach to your extra curricular activities would better suit you in understanding the basics of the organizations in which you hold memberships and grow from there.  Good luck in your endeavors.

My apology on the recently retired military father statement as I confused you with another cadet with basically the same posting type issues.

JK657

I am just curious as to what events are occurring on the base that are not CAP related but you want to partake in?

MSG Mac

As stated earlier, entrance to the base varies and is set by the base commander. MacDill for example doesn't even allow commercial vehicles (taxis and busses), Andrews on the other hand will accept the CAP ID every time. If there is an event at the local base, which is OPEN TO THE PUBLIC, attend it as a private citizen. If it's a unit or strictly military event, don't attend.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

lordmonar

Quote from: ARandomCadet on July 11, 2013, 06:01:41 AM

Sorry about the civilian contractor thing, here I have heard that if you got the card to get on base you get on base. So y'all aren't necessarily supposed to, but most gate guards probably don't know your schedule so they would just assume that y'all are going to work.
Shows what you know.....

ARandomCadet

Quote from: lordmonar on July 11, 2013, 03:16:52 PM
Quote from: ARandomCadet on July 11, 2013, 06:01:41 AM

Shows what you know.....
I don't know much, but here (but not necessarily elsewhere) I have heard of contractors being able to go on base to the BX and the rest of the like (there is a kid here whose dad is a contractor and is deployed and his family can get on whenever, another kid has a dad who is a contractor and he can go to base housing and swim there) so I've heard if some contractors and their families being able to get on base whenever they want.

UH60guy

Quote from: ARandomCadet on July 11, 2013, 03:30:38 PM
I don't know much, but here (but not necessarily elsewhere) I have heard of contractors being able to go on base to the BX and the rest of the like (there is a kid here whose dad is a contractor and is deployed and his family can get on whenever, another kid has a dad who is a contractor and he can go to base housing and swim there) so I've heard if some contractors and their families being able to get on base whenever they want.

According to the AAFES (PX/BX) website, contractors only have the unlimited privileges when stationed overseas.
http://www.shopmyexchange.com/exchangestores/patronsmerchandise/patrons.htm

Civil Air Patrol is listed under the limited privileges tab.

If a contractor's using the PX stateside, it's probably because the CAC card looks pretty similar to a military one and the clerk is untrained. Either that, or they're also a military retiree which is pretty common.

Other restrictions will vary base by base, such as the pool rules you mentioned.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Storm Chaser

As a CAP member, the only valid reasons to go on base are to attend CAP meetings/activities or to go to Military Clothing Sales Store (MCSS) to purchase authorized uniform items. Beyond that, a CAP member normally does not have access to military bases.

Depending on the base, your CAPID card and your parent's driver's license may be all you need. Some bases may require your parents to get a visitor pass. This can also depend on agreements between the bases and the tenant CAP units, so procedures will vary. But the most important thing to understand is that CAP members may be allowed to enter military installations for the reasons stated above, but that CAP membership in itself does not provide any special rights or privileges to do so.

Storm Chaser

Contractors may also use Exchange facilities to eat lunch, etc.

ARandomCadet

Quote from: Storm Chaser on July 11, 2013, 03:51:59 PM
And so can CAP, as long as its all consumed on base. Or at least that's what the AAFES website says last time I checked.

Garibaldi

I know that in GAWG, if you want access to Dobbins, you have to contact the wing admin at least 24 hours in advance to get access.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

UH60guy

Quote from: ARandomCadet on July 11, 2013, 04:13:13 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on July 11, 2013, 03:51:59 PM
And so can CAP, as long as its all consumed on base. Or at least that's what the AAFES website says last time I checked.
True... and interesting... to use AAFES' own words, you may very well be able to use the commissary, provided you eat it before leaving. Of course they have no way to verify as much, so they'll probably not sell it. However, if you were to purchase a pound of ground beef and a dozen eggs and devour them while in the checkout line, you might be OK.

*Consuming raw or undercooked meats, poultry, seafood, shellfish or eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Eclipse

Quote from: ARandomCadet on July 11, 2013, 03:30:38 PMI don't know much, but here (but not necessarily elsewhere) I have heard of contractors being able to go on base to the BX and the rest of the like (there is a kid here whose dad is a contractor and is deployed and his family can get on whenever, another kid has a dad who is a contractor and he can go to base housing and swim there) so I've heard if some contractors and their families being able to get on base whenever they want.

What contractors, civilian employees, or anyone else does on a base is absolutely none of your business or concern, and not relevent to whether you should be there.
CAP has a very narrow lane for base access, really skinny if you do not have an assignment or billet there.  It is not an amusement park for you to go check out.

This kind of behavior is what gets us into misunderstandings with base commanders and risks the legitimate access of members who need to be there.

"That Others May Zoom"

UH60guy

Quote from: Eclipse on July 11, 2013, 05:12:11 PM
This kind of behavior is what gets us into misunderstandings with base commanders and risks the legitimate access of members who need to be there.

I think you really nailed it there. CAP ≠ USAF. When people start to think the line is blurred is when we run into problems.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

abdsp51

Anyone may eat at an AAFES eating establishment.  DECA is reserved for those who have the proper credentials and is seperate from AAFES and NAF.

UH60guy

True- I always forget that, probably due to my lifelong hatred and subsequent avoidance of the commissary (hate crowds and giving back what I save in tips to a cart pusher, but too nice not to tip well). But I digress and back to the topic. Harumph harumph harumph (I didn't get a harumph out of you).

CAP cadets generally should only be on base for CAP activities unless they are a DoD service member or dependent. CAP membership is not military membership and does not constitute entitlement to all base activities or even base access on non-CAP days.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

jeders

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

JeffDG

ARandomCadet

Quote from: UH60guy on July 11, 2013, 06:00:14 PM
True- I always forget that, probably due to my lifelong hatred and subsequent avoidance of the commissary (hate crowds and giving back what I save in tips to a cart pusher, but too nice not to tip well). But I digress and back to the topic. Harumph harumph harumph (I didn't get a harumph out of you).

CAP cadets generally should only be on base for CAP activities unless they are a DoD service member or dependent. CAP membership is not military membership and does not constitute entitlement to all base activities or even base access on non-CAP days.
Ok that seems simple enough. This is the way i understood your post, if you are going there for CAP: good, going there for anything other than CAP: bad. So that was a good simple explanation.

Maj. Joe Mora

At MacDill, I have to send a weekly base access list for our regular meetings, for additional activities such as Color Guard Practice, Bivouacs, staff meetings I send a separate list. They require 72 hour notice. They will turn folks away and send them to the VRF if they are not on the list, even with CAPID's. It's no joke.
Commander
089th MacDill Aviation Cadet Squadron
Civil Air Patrol
United States Air Force Auxiliary
8104 Condor Street, BLDG 38
Mac Dill AFB, FL 33621

PHall

Quote from: Lt. Joe Mora on July 21, 2013, 04:08:31 AM
At MacDill, I have to send a weekly base access list for our regular meetings, for additional activities such as Color Guard Practice, Bivouacs, staff meetings I send a separate list. They require 72 hour notice. They will turn folks away and send them to the VRF if they are not on the list, even with CAPID's. It's no joke.

Base Commander's perogative.

Cap'n

You shouldn't be going on base for anything other then CAP related activities, unless you have a military ID. Any events, stores, buildings, etc. are on base for their (military members and family) use only, generally for the residents that have base housing. So if there's a swimming pool, library, teen center, gym, or whatever on base, you won't be using your CAPID to use that facility, or go to an event specifically for military members.

If it's a concern, your unit commander can work with the base about letting CAP cadets on for a designated time period when there is a Civil Air Patrol specific event. Problem solved.

lordmonar

Ahhhhh.......military clothing sales.

Spaceman3750

One of the ANG bases that we have a unit on allows seniors to use the base gym. So what your CAPID gets you is up to the base CC. In this case, he's a big supporter: We also have a hanger on their flight line for the CAP bird.

Critical AOA

Quote from: UH60guy on July 11, 2013, 06:00:14 PM
CAP membership is not military membership and does not constitute entitlement to all base activities or even base access on non-CAP days.

:clap:

Not sure why so many in CAP have a sense of entitlement that is contrary to this simple easy to understand concept.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

PHall

My unit meets on a Naval Weapons Station, (Naval Weapons Station Seal Beach, Norco Detachment) and we very little problems getting on base for meetings.
We provide Security a list of our current members once a month and all new members have to complete a vehicle registration form (sorry, no decal).

UH60guy

Quote from: PHall on July 22, 2013, 02:28:03 AM
My unit meets on a Naval Weapons Station, (Naval Weapons Station Seal Beach, Norco Detachment) and we very little problems getting on base for meetings.
We provide Security a list of our current members once a month and all new members have to complete a vehicle registration form (sorry, no decal).
I've only heard bits and pieces from people, but the decal may be going away soon if it hasn't already. I still have one on my car, but I hear scuttlebutt that they aren't issuing them anymore. Still checking for a military ID though.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: UH60guy on July 22, 2013, 11:09:27 AM
Quote from: PHall on July 22, 2013, 02:28:03 AM
I've only heard bits and pieces from people, but the decal may be going away soon if it hasn't already. I still have one on my car, but I hear scuttlebutt that they aren't issuing them anymore. Still checking for a military ID though.

Military installations are now using DBIDS (Defense Base Identification System), which scans the CAC or other authorized identification credentials (not CAP IDs) for base access. The registered vehicle decal is pretty much history.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

UH60guy

Ah. Around these parts they're still using the Mark-I Eyeball to scan IDs...
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Huey Driver

At JB MDL, CAP members can get DBIDS cards and resolve all issues of getting on base.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Grumpy

Quote from: Lt. Joe Mora on July 21, 2013, 04:08:31 AM

Pendleton's access rule is no more than 3 visits a month or be on a sponsored access list.  I send them a complete updated list every six months or when we lose or gain someone.  The personnel working the gate scan your driver's license or military ID.  Not sure about CAPID, I use my retired ID all the time and I have a current sticker.  I suspect when that expires it won't be renewed.

PHall

The Air Force quit issuing Decals about 6 years ago. Sounds like the rest of DoD may follow suit.

abdsp51

Quote from: PHall on July 22, 2013, 11:55:37 PM
The Air Force quit issuing Decals about 6 years ago. Sounds like the rest of DoD may follow suit.

Some bases like a few in Ca quit using them and violated a MOA with the state in the process.  Gradually they were phased out and last I knew was that out of state vehicles still had to have them to show they were complying with the state's emissions laws.

PHall

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 23, 2013, 03:40:04 AM

Some bases like a few in Ca quit using them and violated a MOA with the state in the process.  Gradually they were phased out and last I knew was that out of state vehicles still had to have them to show they were complying with the state's emissions laws.

Nope, Base Decal does not show that you're complying with the state vehicle registration laws.
If California is your legal residence, then you HAVE to register your vehicle in the state and get it smogged.
If you're a resident of another state then you don't have to register your vehicle in California and you don't need to get a smog cert.
The decal just shows that this vehicle has been registered on a DOD installation. And with the mandatory 100% ID checks, they're useless.

abdsp51

Beg to differ.  Travis ran this gambit through legal who pointed out that there was a MOA with the state that vehicles be smogged to show compliance.  In order to receive your decal you had to show it was smogged and up until I want to say last year if you had out of state plates you had to have a smog cert to get a decal and you had to have the decal.  It was pointed out when the transition was occuring that the rest of the bases had violated this agreement.

a2capt

When my brother was still AD, he had cars registered in other states and had decals issued by Navy Region SW and Camp Pendleton.

Grumpy

Quote from: a2capt on July 23, 2013, 05:18:45 AM
When my brother was still AD, he had cars registered in other states and had decals issued by Navy Region SW and Camp Pendleton.

Pendleton is getting rid of them but from what I get from the gate guards at the Navy weapons storage Seal Beach is still using them.  Haven't seen any scanners being used either.

abdsp51

It's all dependent upon the service branch mainly.  Some areas still use the 2220 regardless of what branch you are, others like the AF have slowly been phasing out the 2220 in favor of the ID checks and DBIDS.  We were using DBIDS in Korea back in 2003 so the system has been around for awhile. 

SARDOC

QuoteAnd with the mandatory 100% ID checks, they're useless.

Well, not completely.  The Navy has announced that service wide they are abandoning the DoD decal.  However, some installations are requiring some service members to continue using them primarily due to parking enforcement.  There are areas of fleet parking that are identified for officers and E-7's and above.  There are other areas identified for contractors.  The base police use these decals to identify vehicles improperly parked.  They've also listed vehicles with access to restricted areas using the DoD decal identification number and they are in the process of changing that to the license plate number, but some states don't require a front license plate making it more difficult for the sentry working the restricted gate.

SarDragon

MCAS Miramar still requires, and issues, decals. Don't know how long it will last, though.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Well, if you want to stir the pot a little ask your Congresscritter why the Air Force was able to get rid of the expense of issuing base decals while the other branches are still issuing them.
Did the Air Force screw up or are the other branches wasting a bunch of money?
Depending on where your Congresscritter sits in the capitol it could result in some interesting questions during the DOD authorization bill hearings! >:D

AirDX

Quote from: UH60guy on July 22, 2013, 02:28:22 PM
Ah. Around these parts they're still using the Mark-I Eyeball to scan IDs...
Same at JB-PHH.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

AirDX

Depends on where you are.  On Hickam they've stopped, started, stopped, started... got my most recent one a year ago.  I'll find out when mine all expire in October.

AirDX

Quote from: PHall on July 23, 2013, 04:30:08 AM
Nope, Base Decal does not show that you're complying with the state vehicle registration laws.

It do on JP-PHH.  At least you were at the time you got the sticker.  Have to show valid registration, insurance and safety inspection to get it.  And the guards at the gates occasionally spot check for valid registration, insurance and safety inspection.

PHall

Quote from: AirDX on July 25, 2013, 01:26:38 AM
Quote from: PHall on July 23, 2013, 04:30:08 AM

It do on JP-PHH.  At least you were at the time you got the sticker.  Have to show valid registration, insurance and safety inspection to get it.  And the guards at the gates occasionally spot check for valid registration, insurance and safety inspection.

They do that pretty much everywhere.  They have to do a certain number of "random" vehicle searches each month.

EMT-83

While none of this is secret, why are we discussing base security in an open forum? There are a lot of details being posted about facilities around the country.

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on July 25, 2013, 11:59:33 AM
While none of this is secret, why are we discussing base security in an open forum? There are a lot of details being posted about facilities around the country.

I don't know, but we shouldn't - it's generally a new member or cadet with no real business there acting like a tourist.

If you have actual business on a military base, be it access to MCSS, unit meeting, or some activity, you'll get the information you
need when you need it, and nothing we can provide here that will be more current or useful.

Every wing has an assigned State Director LRADO, if no one in your immediate circle has the answer, contact the LRADO or his locally-assigned
PIC on the volunteer side (every wing is supposed to have one of those, too).

"That Others May Zoom"

Grumpy

LRADO?  Isn't that in Texas?  Oops, sorry. ;D

Critical AOA

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw