Main Menu

Custom and Courtisies

Started by dholt, July 06, 2013, 09:30:33 PM

bflynn

Quote from: UH60guy on July 08, 2013, 09:57:01 PMneither calls the other sir or salutes the other.

I would qualify this only slightly - neither one is required to salute the other or call the other one sir.  Salutes may be exchanged between officers of the same rank, just not required.  It is a cordial greeting showing respect for another person.  That is never inappropriate.  I've seen it quite often as a greeting, especially when you meet someone for the first time during the day.

Storm Chaser

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: Storm Chaser on July 09, 2013, 05:29:43 AM
... I know it's up to the commanders and/or DCCs to ensure cadets not only meet the minimum standards, but are also ready for the increased responsibility that comes with the rank, but you know that doesn't always happen. ...
We (CAP) tell commanders not to promote till they are ready but count cadet promotions toward Squadron of Merit, etc.

Bit of a mixed signal?

BillB

OK This has gone three pages, so where is the comments on Uniforms?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: BillB on July 09, 2013, 03:45:36 PM
OK This has gone three pages, so where is the comments on Uniforms?
Grade insignia goes on uniform. Happy now?

lordmonar

Quote from: phirons on July 09, 2013, 03:44:55 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on July 09, 2013, 05:29:43 AM
... I know it's up to the commanders and/or DCCs to ensure cadets not only meet the minimum standards, but are also ready for the increased responsibility that comes with the rank, but you know that doesn't always happen. ...
We (CAP) tell commanders not to promote till they are ready but count cadet promotions toward Squadron of Merit, etc.

Bit of a mixed signal?
No.  Not a mixed signal.  We tell the commanders and DCC's to promote only when ready.....but don't retrain or fire them when they demonstrate that they can't follow policy....that is the mixed signal.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SARDOC

Just a little Anecdote about saluting.

A Young Marine Second Lieutenant walking down the sidewalk happens to be Passed by a young Private First Class.  The PFC preoccupied with something fails to salute the Lieutenant.  The Lieutenant orders the PFC to turn around and stand in the position of Attention.  This gains the notice of the Battalion Sergeant Major.  the Lieutenant orders the PFC to Salute him 100 times.  The PFC complies with the order to do so.  The Sergeant Major approaches the Two and renders the appropriate greeting and salute to the Lieutenant.  The Sergeant Major reminds the Lieutenant "Sir, the appropriate custom and Courtesies require that you return each salute.  Good day, Sir."

ARandomCadet

Quote from: SARDOC on July 10, 2013, 05:12:17 AM

A Young Marine Second Lieutenant walking down the sidewalk happens to be Passed by a young Private First Class.  The PFC preoccupied with something fails to salute the Lieutenant.  The Lieutenant orders the PFC to turn around and stand in the position of Attention.  This gains the notice of the Battalion Sergeant Major.  the Lieutenant orders the PFC to Salute him 100 times.  The PFC complies with the order to do so.  The Sergeant Major approaches the Two and renders the appropriate greeting and salute to the Lieutenant.  The Sergeant Major reminds the Lieutenant "Sir, the appropriate custom and Courtesies require that you return each salute.  Good day, Sir."
And that my friends is an epic fail for that second lt.

Brad

Quote from: ILikePlanes on July 10, 2013, 05:56:39 AM

The version I heard had Chesty Puller in place of the SgtMaj, heh.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

stillamarine

Quote from: Brad on July 10, 2013, 07:40:26 AM
Quote from: ILikePlanes on July 10, 2013, 05:56:39 AM

The version I heard had Chesty Puller in place of the SgtMaj, heh.

That's the true version. It was in his biography. One of the reasons Chesty was so beloved by his troops.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com