Main Menu

Custom and Courtisies

Started by dholt, July 06, 2013, 09:30:33 PM

dholt

I have a question about custom and courtesies. At my squadron I'm a 2nd Lt. and I just earned my dear rank (ach. 10). But I there's another 2nd Lt. who got his Mitchell like 1 month before I did. Well I told him I got my dead rank and he says that I still have to treat him like he's still above me in rank (I still like the guy and whatnot). So my question is now that I'm at ach. 10 and he's still at ach. 9. Do I have to treat him like he's still above me in rank?

Garibaldi

He has one month Time in Grade over you. He is still considered your superior until one of you is promoted.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

lordmonar

Nothing funnier then two 2d Lt's arguing over Date of Rank.

But yes......he is senior to you in rank....the same as you in grade.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Rank may be relevant in a staff selection or NCSA application but not in regards to saluting.

Saluting and other countries are based on grade not rank.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

This was about saluting??!?!?!?!

Oh....that is even worse!

People of the same grade do not salute each other!  Except in a formal situation...like formation.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

dholt

LOARDMONAR

We were trying to figure this out. Because I've also heard that the one with higher ach. salutes the younger ach. Besides we are really good friends. So if you could just hold off your assumptions till after the whole story turns up I'd appreciate it. THANKS!

SarDragon

If you both the same grade, you do not, under normal circumstances, salute each other. Any other C/2d Lt demanding a salute from you, has become too full of himself, and needs to have a little chat with the Leadership Officer.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: Leader and Follower on July 06, 2013, 11:08:29 PM
LOARDMONAR

We were trying to figure this out. Because I've also heard that the one with higher ach. salutes the younger ach. Besides we are really good friends. So if you could just hold off your assumptions till after the whole story turns up I'd appreciate it. THANKS!

Then tell the whole story in the initial post.

As to the bold above, you heard wrong.  How, exactly, would the average member of >any< service know the class ranking of someone else?

The salute is based on  what is on your shoulder.  If they are equal, no salute, though you should always be courteous and greet the other person.

"That Others May Zoom"

dholt

Ok! I think I get you, thanks for the help.

Garibaldi

I'm not sure what galls me more. The glaring spelling and grammar issues, or the attitudes these cadets (not the OP in this case) display nowadays. To be sure, as a cadet officer, spelling and proper grammar should be utilized at all times. Part of the SDA is putting forth ideas in a coherent manner, and if your spelling or grammar is suffering because of either the lack of attention paid by the teacher or the student, then Houston, we have a problem. This is not the OP's problem. I've just noticed it lately and it galls me that I had to learn it, and college graduates are found lacking in these relatively simple skills. Example: I was on some news site (rhymes with rocks) and in the news stories were so many grammatical errors that I couldn't finish reading the articles. These people putting the stories on the Web are supposedly college graduates. Cadet officers who can't spell COURTESIES...just blows my mind.

dholt

Just to let you know. I do know how to spell courtesies, it just catches peoples eye when they see it spelled wrong so they click on the page. I do have some experience with advertising so, it all good. BUT I completely agree with you, on the quality of my grammar. I'm really bad at grammar and writing. But better at math and science.

BHartman007

Quote from: Leader and Follower on July 07, 2013, 03:26:20 AM
Just to let you know. I do know how to spell courtesies, it just catches peoples eye when they see it spelled wrong so they click on the page. I do have some experience with advertising so, it all good. BUT I completely agree with you, on the quality of my grammar. I'm really bad at grammar and writing. But better at math and science.
:o :pretend this is a smilie for rolling around laughing:

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

dholt

JayT

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

SarDragon

That is absolute BS!

I am more likely to ignore a post with poor grammar and spelling, than I am to take special interest in it.

Here's part of my general message regarding writing skills, and how they apply here, and to CAP in general.

QuoteReaders will treat your posts more seriously if they see that you think they are important enough to use correct English.

Your posts are a look at you and your attitude. If you don't care how your posts look, a lot of folks aren't going to care enough to help you out, or pay attention to what you write. There are also all kinds of people reading what you write on CT who could help decide your future, particularly in CAP.

You are doing yourself a huge disservice by being cavalier about your writing skills. You will have some sort of need for them throughout life, and the earlier you get good at it, the better off you will be. This forum, in particular, is a good learning environment, where you can makes mistakes, get helpful feedback, and not have them make a big difference on something really important.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

blackrain

I once saw a superior officer (real live U.S. Military) chew out a couple of LTs who were arguing over who outranked who. He eloquently compared them to 2 (insert your favorite euphemism for ladies of ill repute) discussing who was more virtuous.  >:D
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

FlyTiger77

I do know how to spell courtesies, it just catches peoples eye when they see it spelled wrong so they click on the page.

A swing and a miss. Strike two.

A train wreck catches the eye, too. I have found the best course of action when I find myself in a hole is to stop digging.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Garibaldi

I don't know about anyone else,  but I set up the unread thread page as a favorite, and just cruise down the list. Misspellings do not catch my eye and make me want to read the thread; they make me want to hurl a thesaurus and a dictionary through the monitor and hope their constituent molecules somehow merge and land in the offender's lap.

SarDragon

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 07, 2013, 02:37:39 PM
I don't know about anyone else,  but I set up the unread thread page as a favorite, and just cruise down the list. Misspellings do not catch my eye and make me want to read the thread; they make me want to hurl a thesaurus and a dictionary through the monitor and hope their constituent molecules somehow merge and land in the offender's lap.

AMEN, Brutha!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cap'n

I'm just clarifying for my own knowledge: Hypothetically, you have two cadets- one has their Goddard (1st C/CMSgt achievement), and received it a week before a second cadet. However, this second cadet then gets their Armstrong (2nd C/CMSgt achievement), while the first cadet still only has their Goddard. So the Goddard cadet would still out rank the Armstrong cadet, correct?

If that didn't make any sense, tell me and I can rephrase.