A topic that must be discussed with cadets...

Started by Stonewall, November 16, 2012, 06:47:09 PM

jimmydeanno

Quote from: CyBorg on November 18, 2012, 12:23:23 AM
The North Korean Army...yes, they've got a lot of them, but you have to have a way to get them here, a

and have them willing to fight when they do.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

ol'fido

Red Dawn, Apocalypse Now, and Uncommon Valor: The trifecta of great movies from my cadet days. I would also give an honorable mention to Stripes.

How many times over the years have I heard the odd, "Almighty, Almighty, this is PBR Streetgang" going out over the airwaves at a CAP activity.  Me and a buddy could do whole scenes from memory. The CAP van(actually my old squadron commander's personal shaggin' wagon) would be rolling down the road with "Ride of the Valkyries" blasting from the stereo. Although my favorite Robert Duvall speech is from Secondhand Lions.

As for Red Dawn,

"John has a long moustache."
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

NIN

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 18, 2012, 12:29:37 AM
and have them willing to fight when they do.

How about "able" to fight?

How to Defeat A North Korean Infantry Company

1) Visit McDonalds.
2) Buy a dozen 2 cheeseburger combo meals.
3) Place said combo meals in the open, along the axis of advance of an NK infantry unit.
4) Sit back and watch.
5) When 100+ infantrymen are in the open fighting over 24 hamburgers and 12 orders of fries, call in an airstrike.  Or set off the conveniently available and cleverly placed IEDs.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: ol'fido on November 18, 2012, 12:38:41 AM
Red Dawn, Apocalypse Now, and Uncommon Valor: The trifecta of great movies from my cadet days. I would also give an honorable mention to Stripes.

How many times over the years have I heard the odd, "Almighty, Almighty, this is PBR Streetgang" going out over the airwaves at a CAP activity.  Me and a buddy could do whole scenes from memory. The CAP van(actually my old squadron commander's personal shaggin' wagon) would be rolling down the road with "Ride of the Valkyries" blasting from the stereo. Although my favorite Robert Duvall speech is from Secondhand Lions.

As for Red Dawn,

"John has a long moustache."

If I had a nickle for every time my callsign at a CAP activity was "Big Duke Six", we'd be at a bar someplace...
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Luis R. Ramos

Cyborg-

How do the NK infantry gets "over here," after the Navy and Air Force have been decimated by USN, USCG, and ANG units:

The NK Army will tunnel under the Pacific Ocean, there are so many and they have created nice, good tunnels between NK and SK.

>:D

How do you defend against that!

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

a2capt

Heh.. Movie Remakes..
I am serious. ..and don't call me Shirley!

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: flyer333555 on November 18, 2012, 04:37:49 AM
Cyborg-

How do the NK infantry gets "over here," after the Navy and Air Force have been decimated by USN, USCG, and ANG units:

The NK Army will tunnel under the Pacific Ocean, there are so many and they have created nice, good tunnels between NK and SK.

>:D

How do you defend against that!

Flyer

Simple, dimples...have Navy divers/robotic submersibles locate the tunnels, drill holes in them...

Quote from: NIN on November 18, 2012, 02:43:09 AM
How to Defeat A North Korean Infantry Company

1) Visit McDonalds.
2) Buy a dozen 2 cheeseburger combo meals.
3) Place said combo meals in the open, along the axis of advance of an NK infantry unit.
4) Sit back and watch.
5) When 100+ infantrymen are in the open fighting over 24 hamburgers and 12 orders of fries, call in an airstrike.  Or set off the conveniently available and cleverly placed IEDs.

Or watch them die of a sudden attack of artery-plugging plaque.

This is my current "bug-out"/kick-butt-and-take-names heroine...

Rewrite the Red Dawn remake and write her in...she'd take out the North Koreans by herself.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Майор Хаткевич

Revolution as a fun show but I would give it up for a return of Last Resort Any day.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 18, 2012, 05:02:26 PM
Revolution as a fun show but I would give it up for a return of Last Resort Any day.

But it doesn't have Tracy Spiridakos... :P
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Stonewall

This is about the best review of Red Dawn 2012 which also compares it to the 1984 release.  Be advised, there is a spoiler or two.

Even more spoilers ---> Red Dawn vs. Red Dawn a side-by-side comparison, but right on the mark.

Boys Into Men: Josh Peck, Josh Hutcherson and Chris Hemsworth (left to right) take on the North Koreans in Red Dawn, a remake of the 1984 classic.

New Dawn: Updated version of the 1984 classic bursts with ramped-up action
John Hoogesteger - Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Going into the new Red Dawn, I wondered why there was a need to remake the '80s classic about a group of teens who hide out in the woods, when the United States is overrun by foreign invaders, and turn into a band of inspirational freedom fighters.

Coming out of the new Red Dawn, I had the same question.

Other than several pumped-up action sequences that benefit from improved direction and special effects over the last 25 years, there's little to tout in this jingoistic battle yarn, which lacks the innocence and the heart of the original.

The action has been moved from small-town America to the more significant Spokane, Wash., and like the original, begins with a group of high school students jolted out of their blissful teen lives into the bitter reality of enemy invasion.

Unlike the original, these teens do not waste time hiding out in the hills learning how to live off the land and honing their skills. From Day 1, they decide to be guerillas, picking away at the North Koreans who have occupied their hometown (replacing the Cubans and Nicaraguans from the original film). In fact, the movie glosses over the group having any real difficulty acquiring food, shelter and supplies or dealing with homesickness.

One advantage to moving the action to a major city: It allows the boys to slip in and out of the city at will to develop their underground resistance and make their surprise attacks. Another is that they can create a more diverse group of teens. Oddly, though, they build a resistance network without recruiting any more actual soldiers, just a supply and intelligence network.

One of the drawbacks of the bigger city is that they're named after their high school football team, the Wolverines, something iconic for small-town America but not as significant in a city like Spokane, which has more than a dozen high schools.

Chris Hemsworth (Thor in The Avengers) stars as Jed Eckert, the leader of this ragtag group. As fate would have it, he was home from the Marines, visiting family, when the attack hit, making him the senior member and the only one with any previous combat skills.

Hemsworth and co-star Josh Peck (Josh of Nickelodeon's Drake and Josh), as brother Matt Eckert, deliver reliable but unimaginative performances. The phrase "adequate but uninspired" sums up all the acting. It's not that they aren't believable; it's just that we don't care much about any of these guys. There are casualties in any war movie, but only one Wolverine death evoked any emotional reaction from the audience. Several of the original cast went on to be Hollywood stars, but this next generation does not seem to be poised for greatness.

The movie deviates from the original in the second half, to create the need for some major battle sequences. Unfortunately, that deviation requires viewers to not have even the most rudimentary knowledge of the laws of physics.

Three members of the Marine Corps surface on a mission. (It takes three of them to replace Powers Booth from the original.) They bring knowledge that the North Koreans and their Russian allies have used some sort of long-lasting electromagnetic pulse to knock out the power and keep it knocked out. Supposedly, they're using special radios immune to the pulse to have superior communications, compared to U.S. insurgent forces. One of the problems with this bit of hokum is that the Wolverines have been using battery-operated cellphones to take surveillance photos and trigger hidden explosives. Apparently, they can do this because no one told them the EMP would make it impossible. The Marines want to steal one of the special radios, and they enlist the Wolverines to help, creating an improbable showdown at the former police headquarters, headquarters of evil Capt. Lo, who's been hunting the Wolverines since the invasion began.

If you choose to take your chances with the new Red Dawn, don't pay too much attention to the illogical details or the bland characters; just go for the action sequences, which are the film's only redeeming quality. Fortunately, there are a lot of them within the modest 90-minute running time, so you never have to wait too long for the next one. 

Serving since 1987.

EMT-83

RogueLeader

Quote from: Stonewall on November 28, 2012, 05:30:39 PM

Why does he (one on left) have his finger on the trigger, when he's not actively engaging targets?  Safety!  Does he have a mind to shoot something unintentionally? 
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Stonewall

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 28, 2012, 06:22:53 PMWhy does he (one on left) have his finger on the trigger, when he's not actively engaging targets?  Safety!  Does he have a mind to shoot something unintentionally?

Because...

A) It's a movie.
B) The character is a high school kid without firearms training.
C) It's a movie.
Serving since 1987.

RogueLeader

Sorry, forgot to include the smiley.  please insert:  >:D at the end.

;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

MSG Mac

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 28, 2012, 06:34:46 PM
Sorry, forgot to include the smiley.  please insert:  >:D at the end.

;)

Because he realizes that this is such a bad movie, he wants to accidentally kill the Director and Producer
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

a2capt

Because they did not take the RST, and participate in the ORM discussion prior to the mission.
..and they're probably out of their 30 day safety currency.

Slim

Quote from: Stonewall on November 28, 2012, 05:30:39 PM

Fairly unrelated, but I can step out the front door of my office, look about 6 blocks south, and see both of those buildings in the background.

Slim

Garibaldi

Quote from: Slim on November 29, 2012, 05:08:04 AM

Fairly unrelated, but I can step out the front door of my office, look about 6 blocks south, and see both of those buildings in the background.

Even more unrelated, the office where my dad's wife once worked was in the background of the final footrace in Cannonball Run.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

a2capt

spacecommand

Hollywoodz, stop, just stop.  Red Dawn just in name.  Not the same impact as you would watching it during the cold war.