Main Menu

Flight Lessons through CAP

Started by KirkF22, September 02, 2012, 03:11:52 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: Thrashed on December 04, 2012, 04:18:47 PM
I offered free instruction to the cadets in my squadron, IF they get the medical and written done. I even taught the ground school free. Not one cadet took the offer. We offered Orientation flights to multiple squadrons a week or so ago. Not one cadet was interested!  I don't get it. I was that kid with his nose in the fence at the airport.

Aviation in general is no longer a big deal.  Its long-term success has become its own enemy, just like space flight.  What was once a "miracle" is now
simply another common place tool of modern society.

I have to admit, this is the case even for myself.  Before I became a "road warrior", commercial flying was "amazing" and rare enough to me that I insisted on a window seat, with eyes glued outside the whole flight, I would listen to ATC anytime it was offered, etc., etc.  Now I just want an aisle so I can get off the plane quicker, and anything short of a barrel roll doesn't really rate attention.

Same with CAP flying - I see it as a means to a mission end.   I enjoy it at that level, but its essentially "work", and for whatever reason I really
have no interest in taking the stick.

The media hasn't helped much either - turning aviation into a commodity and essentially killing the image of the pilot as leader and example.  Some rare, but high-visibility mistakes by commercial pilots in the last few years haven't helped either.  For every Sullenberger, there's a thousand guys just doing a job for low pay and shrinking (if any) benefits.

"That Others May Zoom"

That Anonymous Guy

Quote from: Thrashed on December 04, 2012, 04:18:47 PM
I offered free instruction to the cadets in my squadron, IF they get the medical and written done. I even taught the ground school free. Not one cadet took the offer. We offered Orientation flights to multiple squadrons a week or so ago. Not one cadet was interested!  I don't get it. I was that kid with his nose in the fence at the airport.
Can I join your squadron?