Main Menu

...Why?

Started by SJFedor, August 31, 2012, 02:55:07 AM

Garibaldi

Quote from: a2capt on September 02, 2012, 06:57:56 PM
Except that trees, abutments, and other oddball places that missions take us are not always labeled.
So, in an effort to save time, some kind of sensing device that takes the "get out of the vehicle" at every possible infraction would do us a little better than the telco SOP of pulling through, backing in, and getting out and measuring everything. Though I do pull through, and back in if at all possible. I don't drive tall stuff often, but when I do, I pay attention so I'm not one of those. ..

http://11foot8.com/

Huh...never had to endure that sort of stuff when I was at AT&T. The measuring thing. I always pull through and back in now, and try to teach that to my other drivers. I even tried to see about getting some orange cones but no dice. Funny thing, once someone asked why we had to put out cones and I always said "AT&T doesn't think that people are smart enough to avoid the blindingly bright white truck" rather than go through the whole "Circle of Safety" story. Our trucks were measured at 8'2" so going through some drive-throughs and backing into certain parking spots with overhangs were prohibited. I find it so much easier to drive a 15 pax van than my old work truck for some reason.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

PHall

Quote from: Garibaldi on September 03, 2012, 05:58:22 AM
Quote from: a2capt on September 02, 2012, 06:57:56 PM
Except that trees, abutments, and other oddball places that missions take us are not always labeled.
So, in an effort to save time, some kind of sensing device that takes the "get out of the vehicle" at every possible infraction would do us a little better than the telco SOP of pulling through, backing in, and getting out and measuring everything. Though I do pull through, and back in if at all possible. I don't drive tall stuff often, but when I do, I pay attention so I'm not one of those. ..

http://11foot8.com/

Huh...never had to endure that sort of stuff when I was at AT&T. The measuring thing. I always pull through and back in now, and try to teach that to my other drivers. I even tried to see about getting some orange cones but no dice. Funny thing, once someone asked why we had to put out cones and I always said "AT&T doesn't think that people are smart enough to avoid the blindingly bright white truck" rather than go through the whole "Circle of Safety" story. Our trucks were measured at 8'2" so going through some drive-throughs and backing into certain parking spots with overhangs were prohibited. I find it so much easier to drive a 15 pax van than my old work truck for some reason.

You can get orange cones at Home Depot and/or Lowes and any other "home improvement" store these days.

And yes, the "Circle of Safety" is the "official" reason we put cones out when we park. In reality, it's tradition! >:D

blackrain

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 31, 2012, 01:23:57 PM
OK, I've seen enough!  As a member of the air side of the operation, I now demand the new Cessna 182 JT-A with the Enforcer package. It's only fair.

I keep hearing that CAP is looking at a system that has capabilities like the Enforcer package......Maybe by the time I return from my overseas "vacation" a decision will be made...

As for a ground vehicle I would ask Bill Murray......The Urban Assault Vehicle from Stripes or the Station Wagon from Ghost Busters >:D
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy